Storage Space!

John A.

The GX is definitely seriously lacking in console "storage space" for loose change, sunglasses that don't fit in the overhead console, and whatnot. We've also wished we had extra cupholders to use without having to use the fold-up ones in the already-crowded console storage compartment, like when my wife and I both have coffees, and also a water bottle. The cupholders in the rear seat fold-down are too far back to reach safely.

A stop at the local Pep Boys store netted me this plastic console which fits on the transmission hump behind the stock console, does not interfere with the rear air conditioning controls, and wedges tightly in place...almost as if it were made for it. And the tan color goes with the leather and trim. Fanatics could paint it using plastic paint for a closer match to either the leather or the stock console color, and trim the lower edges for a tighter fit. It also comes in black.

It's not a perfect solution; you do have to reach back a bit to get to it. However it's the darnest best solution I've ever seen and it leaves the front console pleasingly clean and clutter-free. We never carry anyone in the center rear seat anyways; and if we ever needed to, this console comes right out. And to top it off, it cost all of 400. Pennies.

Could I get in trouble by the Lexus Police for putting a $4 item in a $51k Lexus?

Now I'm looking for a trash container....

(click on the photo below to enlarge it)

post-43912-1181485478_thumb.jpg

Well first of all, that center console seems like a great idea if you really need more cubby space to put small items.

Now as for a trash bag, I highly suggest NOT HAVING one in the vehicle. I just think it's too "trashy" and that it will stink and everything if left for a certain period of time. My 4Runner actually has this little plastic frame behind my center console, wrapped around my rear vents, and we can buy an accessory trash bag that fits PERFECTLY on the frame, but I don't think any 4Runner owner has ever used it for what it's made for (except one guy who actually bought the trash bag) because the trash belongs to a trash bin, not inside the vehicle! ;) My. $0.02

• 2 weeks later...
Well first of all, that center console seems like a great idea if you really need more cubby space to put small items.

Now as for a trash bag, I highly suggest NOT HAVING one in the vehicle. I just think it's too "trashy" and that it will stink and everything if left for a certain period of time. My 4Runner actually has this little plastic frame behind my center console, wrapped around my rear vents, and we can buy an accessory trash bag that fits PERFECTLY on the frame, but I don't think any 4Runner owner has ever used it for what it's made for (except one guy who actually bought the trash bag) because the trash belongs to a trash bin, not inside the vehicle! ;) My. $0.02

Great item ! thanks for sharing . just need to find PEP BOYS