Help! Anybody Else Had Problems Like This?

Just bought a '92 sc300 last year. Has really given me no problems and drives smoothly and wonderfully. I drive it quite a bit as I'm a realtor, so I understand I'm going to encounter problems sooner than most people who don't drive as much.

Recently, the alarm has been going off for no reason, unless the car is left unlocked. This becomes quite an annoyance when picking up groceries or leaving the car for an extended period of time (let alone while showing homes to clients).

But the worst happened just this evening - After driving back to my place and turning the car off, the lights illuminating all the gauges stayed on, would not shut off, and basically every accessory in the car would function if I turned them on, yet the key WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE IGNITION.

Does anybody know what kind of effing problem(s) this may be? I need to get this stuff fixed by mid-week otherwise there's no hope in hell I'll be making money and selling houses.

I can be reached at justin@edmonton-real-estate-online.com

Thanks for all your replies/posts!

It's either that, or your short might be in the Alarm system.

Have you tried to unplug the Battery to see if the problem re-occurs?

• 5 months later...

Arrgh, I just got the exact same problem, as the one you describe here! Mine is a '95 SC400 though, but I guess the switch is just about the same.

Did you find the solution to this? Was it the Ignition switch? Or?

Thanks in advance for a reply to this.

Lars

Denmark

But the worst happened just this evening - After driving back to my place and turning the car off, the lights illuminating all the gauges stayed on, would not shut off, and basically every accessory in the car would function if I turned them on, yet the key WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE IGNITION.

Have you tried simply putting the alarm in valet mode and forgetting about it? Down in the drivers footwell (somewhere) there is likely either a toggle switch or black button. With the key in the ignition and turned to the accessory position(dash lights on/not running) flip the switch. It typically is on the left hand side though I may be dating myself. Hth.

UPDATE:

Have not had a problem since I took the car to my independent mechanic (last time I took it to a dealership, they charged me close to $500 just to flip a switch I never knew about in the glove box which activated the trunk release which I thought was broke. Stupid dealerships...)

Anyways,

Regarding this post here...

Posted by UCF3 Jun 11 2007, 05:01 AM

It's either that, or your short might be in the Alarm system.

Have you tried to unplug the Battery to see if the problem re-occurs?

That's exactly what happened. My mechanic couldn't find any problems when he had the car as it never acted up around him (typical luck). So I took it home myself and after buying a fresh battery and installing it, that solved a lot of the issues. Also, my Nakamichi 12 disc changer was giving me hell and never worked so after removing the unit completely, I have since found that the alarm doesn't go off anymore. It's only done it once since and that's because I accidentally flipped the hood release and then came out of the gas station 10 minutes later to open it and it thought I was breaking into the car.

However, between the battery switch and removing my CD player (I don't know if it would have anything to do with it) I haven't had any more problems. I did read somewhere on another forum that removing a disfunctional Nakamichi unit will aleviate certain electrical nuisances. I'm not an expert - maybe someone else with experience can expound on the subject but I think that's what fixed it.

UPDATE:

YES! I found the Root Cause !!!! :rolleyes:

The problem was at the multi-connector in the trunks left side (where the jack is). I saw another thread with the same issue, that suggested this could be the reason.

Cause & Effect:

The hose that leads water from the sunroof (i believe it is), had slipped up from the air vent 'drainage hole'.

This caused the water to flood the deep left side of the trunk and cover the multi-connector. The combination of electrical current and water, is pure poison for such a connector and in effect, the wires and pins was completely deteriorated. Actually some of the wires just fell apart!!

For the moment, I have just pulled apart the connector and made sure none of the broken wires shortcuts. But it's an easy fix to clean cut the wires and replace the connector. This is something even I can do ;-)

Result: The fault is GONE!!

Thank Lord for this forum, that has such a wealth of money-saving tips, tricks and hints :rolleyes:

Special thanks goes to Justin, for taking time to answer me personally on email :cheers:

I will make sure to update this thread with a picture of the bugger.

I would recommend everyone, to take a look in this area now and then, since the hose easily can slip away and the longterm effect can be horrific (also from a body corrosion perspective).

/Lars

post-55876-1196619721_thumb.jpg

post-55876-1196619733_thumb.jpg

I have been searching for what exactly this connector does and why it is there.

Everything in the back of the car, is working absolutely normally without the connection, e.g. rear lights, trunk opener motor etc.

So of course, I am puzzled about why this connector is there.

So far, the only I have figured out, is that it relates to the cellular phone system if you install a transciever (which I don't have).

Does anyone know for sure if this is correct?

/Lars

• 7 months later...

Thanks for posting your findings here! My alarm went off a couple times this week (always in the middle of the night of course) and now today the dash lights wouldn't turn off. This second symptom gave me enough to search with, and found this. Sure enough, there was a big puddle in the trunk. Luckily I caught it early, and the only corroded lines weren't connected to anything on the other side of the connector (no idea why). I just pulled these out, taped them up, and everything works great. Thanks again!

Thanks for posting your findings here! My alarm went off a couple times this week (always in the middle of the night of course) and now today the dash lights wouldn't turn off. This second symptom gave me enough to search with, and found this. Sure enough, there was a big puddle in the trunk. Luckily I caught it early, and the only corroded lines weren't connected to anything on the other side of the connector (no idea why). I just pulled these out, taped them up, and everything works great. Thanks again!

Puddle? Drivers side or passenger?

drivers side, just like lars. the stupid hose had slipped out of its hole. it seems all my problems started when i washed the car too, lol.

i can also confirm lars's suspicion that the connector is for the cell phone system. i found it in the repair manual. disconnecting this little bugger fixed what must've been a short in the cell phone's "mute" function that turns the stereo down when a call is incoming. my stereo had been suffering from extremely low volume for about a week! i've determined that this was the case from reading this site here.

drivers side, just like lars. the stupid hose had slipped out of its hole. it seems all my problems started when i washed the car too, lol.

i can also confirm lars's suspicion that the connector is for the cell phone system. i found it in the repair manual. disconnecting this little bugger fixed what must've been a short in the cell phone's "mute" function that turns the stereo down when a call is incoming. my stereo had been suffering from extremely low volume for about a week! i've determined that this was the case from reading this site here.

Good find. This will save me money to fix myself.

Try to apply some sealant around the antenna mask. I believe that's where the water is leaking from, and Toyotas are notorious for this problem.