"lexus Protection" Package ...

So, I put a deposit down on a new 400h (which could take up to six weeks to arrive) and now I will be needing to decide about whether or not to buy the "invisible bra" and all those after-market "protection" doodads. The salesman mentioned some product I could buy to"keep my paint from fading" <_< and the application of an additional leather protectant on the interior "to protect it from stains and odors". I can kinda half-way see the point of the invisible bra, but I'm thinkin' that the other things are simply good ways for the Lexus dealership to relieve me of an additional $3,995.00.

Anybody out there go for any of these after market options?

Not one for us, although the invisible bra sounds enticing. Check to see how much your local window-tinting place will charge. I know a guy who recently bought a Z06. He had tinting and the invisible bra installed at a local place and saved quite a bit of money.

I agree with RX400h, that's way expensive!

If you buy a good leather cleaner/conditioner like Zaino, Lexol, Mequires's, etc you shouldn't have any problem keeping the leather clean (my LS is 3 yrs old and I've never had a problem).

I had a quote for the clear bra for almost the whole front of my car including pieces on my front fenders and rearview mirrors for $800. The reason I didn't was I have a black LS and I've read several postings that stated while it will protect the paint, I stone will have the ability to "pull" the clear away from the paint leaving a small "spot" that looks "white" and can be seen but not much can be done to fix. You can't really see the bubble on lighter color cars so I would really consider getting one installed. I keep up with mine with a toothpick and touchup paint.

I'd also recommend spending some time at http://autopia.org/ and any detailing upkeep can be answered there. The discussion threads are the same as here with a lot of professional detailers available to help you out.

If you buy a good leather cleaner/conditioner like Zaino, Lexol, Mequires's, etc you shouldn't have any problem keeping the leather clean (my LS is 3 yrs old and I've never had a problem).

I had a quote for the clear bra for almost the whole front of my car including pieces on my front fenders and rearview mirrors for $800. The reason I didn't was I have a black LS and I've read several postings that stated while it will protect the paint, I stone will have the ability to "pull" the clear away from the paint leaving a small "spot" that looks "white" and can be seen but not much can be done to fix. You can't really see the bubble on lighter color cars so I would really consider getting one installed. I keep up with mine with a toothpick and touchup paint.

I'd also recommend spending some time at http://autopia.org/ and any detailing upkeep can be answered there. The discussion threads are the same as here with a lot of professional detailers available to help you out.

Thank you. I'll see if the dealership will make me a good deal. Otherwise, I think I'll pass. ;)

Thank you. I'll see if the dealership will make me a good deal. Otherwise, I think I'll pass. ;)

I passed on everything once I talked to the guy at my body shop. He told me he could do the bra near cost, but he really didn't think it was worthwhile unless you do alot of highway driving, which I don't. Although it wouldn't affect my bamboo pearl, he told me the film can turn yellow on white cars. I really anguished about the extended warranty, but then I thought, here you are putting big bucks on something that doesnt go into effect for 4 years. They take the money and invest it. Of course it's a gamble, that's what it is. There's no right answer, really. Let's talk in 4 years and we can decide who won.

the extended warranty really paid for itself on american cars i have owned, the hybrid has been very reliable, and i dont think the extended warranty covers any of the hybrid parts only the engine, and transaxle and misc other odds and ends. regarding the 3M clear invisible bra, this vehicle is aerodynamic and collects alot of chips on the front bumper and hood, more importantly each of the hid lights are over a grand to replace, so the thicker plastic protection on the lenses that comes with the bra application is cheap insurance. you can find reputable aftermarket applications of this product if the dealer wont lower their inflated price. i highly recommend it. i would pass on the wax protection and leather protection. I prefer to clean my own.

You can buy the warranty for the same price all the way up until the car's original warranty expires, no reason to buy it now.

The films used to turn yellow, the modern ones do not. If you do ANY freeway driving, you will get moderate chipping.

But that was hardly the norm. If anything the 90-94 LS was the most reliable LS generation yet.

My Consumer Reports report says they don't recommend the extended warranty on the 400h because it has "such a high reliability rating" but after reading the posts here, I've decided to go with the 3m full bra (our search engine won't accept either word, BTW - I had to use "clear protection" to pull up relevant posts :whistles: )

The man in charge of such things at the dealership says that the bra work will be "done in town" but won't consider negotiating the cost to me of almost $900.00.

That brings my 400h in at $48, 424.00 (my negotiated price @ the dealership) plus about $1,070.00 (with tax) for the bra. I worked really hard to get this car for less than $50K but I will need to add in the state taxes for the car, which will push me over by about $3K. B)

I'd dearly love to hear that I still did comparatively well. The salesman has assured me that I will be driving the cheapest 400h in town, but I'll bet he says that to all the girls. :P

FYI, the Lexus extended warranty has a markup just like any Lexus part--I believe from my research around 100%. I phone shop extended warranties with out-of-state dealers and save considerable money over the local dealer and/or ask the local dealer to match the price. And as far as I've seen the service department does not seem to know where the extended warranty was purchased.

SW03ES, I agree regarding the expected reliability of the LS400.

Tom

FYI, the Lexus extended warranty has a markup just like any Lexus part--I believe from my research around 100%. I phone shop extended warranties with out-of-state dealers and save considerable money over the local dealer and/or ask the local dealer to match the price. And as far as I've seen the service department does not seem to know where the extended warranty was purchased.

SW03ES, I agree regarding the expected reliability of the LS400. I spoke with Lexus engineers more than once about my problems and was told that I probably contributed to the failures by consistently using regular fuel which increases operating temperatures.

Tom

100% markup. Yikes. Well, actually, that explains a lot, doesn't it? <_<

I've found parts with a 300% markup...

Yea, me too SW. It's aggravating.

FYI, many vehicle dealers use software called Matrix (or similar) to determine parts markups. Matrix applies multipliers based on many factors (considered proprietary), to calculate a selling price. Cheap parts get a much higher markup that major parts such as short blocks, for example. So you may be buying a bolt that costs the dealer $1.00, has a list price of $2.00 (which really should be the sellng price) and Matrix calculates a selling price of $4.00. If you ever open a wholesale account at a dealer, which I commonly do, you have to be careful of how they compute your price....25% discount from Matrix, 25% discount from list, 20% above dealer cost, etc., which can be vastly different.

Tom