Differential Locking System (lx450, Landcruiser)

davisnetworks

I am about to purchase a LX-450, but it doesn't have the differential locking system on it. I was told that i could be installed becuase it was pre-wired and I only needed the switch. I went to our local lexus dealer and they have the switch avaliable for $45ish. Can someone please tell me it I can add it on to it and get the locking system and if not, could it be possible at all. Thanks!

I am about to purchase a LX-450, but it doesn't have the differential locking system on it. I was told that i could be installed becuase it was pre-wired and I only needed the switch. I went to our local lexus dealer and they have the switch avaliable for $45ish. Can someone please tell me it I can add it on to it and get the locking system and if not, could it be possible at all. Thanks!

WHOA!

no. this is simply NOT true.

sure, the switch might be $45...for the record, I don't know how much the swtich is...but there's MUCH more to the locking differentials than just the switch.

either someone was very misinformed or lied to you BIG time.

it is possible to get OEM lockers installed, but it's a bunch of work and quite expensive.

most who want to go with diff locks (and want the best (aside from OEM)) go with ARB air lockers. You'll be looking at anywhere between $2500 and $3000 to get ARBs installed (that's parts and labor combined).

If you can find a donor 1994 - 1997 Land Cruiser or 96/97 LX 450 axles with locking diffs installed AND the associated wiring harness, you might be able to get it done for a bit less...but not much less than the ARBs.

If you want lockers, but don't want to spend the extra cash, find one with OEM lockers.

I know that some come up from time to time on the classified section of the www.ih8mud.com forum. you might look there.

good luck in your search.

Dougjohn's pretty much got you covered. Someone is severely misinformed.

To clarify further, you need to understand that a standard stock LX450 or Landcruiser comes with full time AWD and a locking center differential. This vehicle in stock form is a highly capable off-road machine. A factory option was to have locking front and rear differentials in addition to the stock setup. This takes a highly capable 4WD drive vehicle to THE most capable stock off-road vehicle produced. It's like a tank, it can go anywhere.

If you are going to get into heavier off road stuff.. rock crawling etc, you should hold out for one with the factory front and rear lockers. It typically won't cost you any extra if you find one (because most people don't know what they are anyways), the drawback is it's harder to find one and in good condition. If you will only be doing mildly hard 4 wheeling or in snow/icing conditions.. you do not need the front and rear lockers.

My $0.02

Regards,

Rookie

• 1 year later...

The guys here are right, and wrong.....

I have a 1997 LX450 without the locking front and rear. It does however have the center locking diff. that is set to engage when you set it to 4 low. The wiring is already installed for a CENTER DIFF. LOCK switch to be installed in the dash console next to the hazzard light button. I know this for a fact because I have done it to my 450. I was able to find a CDL (center diff lock ) switch out of a 97 Rav4 at a salvage yard. It was a perfect fit and function for its intended use in my 450. It allows me to engage my center diff lock in the high range....... Yes, I know that it isn't the same as front and rear lockers, but for the $3 I spent at the salvage yard, it gives me a huge function of my offroad vehicle that I didnt have before. there is another mod you can make that lets ou have control over engaging the CDL in 4 low with this switch as well...

If you go to the Slee offroad website, they sell the switch and show the instructions on how easy it is to install..... a 10 minute job, and the 4 low, or the 7pin mod as they call it . Another 20 minute job.

Now, my 450 has the security "tab" that I had to move to make space for the CDL switch, but that only took a minute to move it down by the rear heater switch.

I hope that this helps clear the air a little about the origional post......

• 3 weeks later...
The guys here are right, and wrong.....

I have a 1997 LX450 without the locking front and rear. It does however have the center locking diff. that is set to engage when you set it to 4 low. The wiring is already installed for a CENTER DIFF. LOCK switch to be installed in the dash console next to the hazzard light button. I know this for a fact because I have done it to my 450. I was able to find a CDL (center diff lock ) switch out of a 97 Rav4 at a salvage yard. It was a perfect fit and function for its intended use in my 450. It allows me to engage my center diff lock in the high range....... Yes, I know that it isn't the same as front and rear lockers, but for the $3 I spent at the salvage yard, it gives me a huge function of my offroad vehicle that I didnt have before. there is another mod you can make that lets ou have control over engaging the CDL in 4 low with this switch as well...

If you go to the Slee offroad website, they sell the switch and show the instructions on how easy it is to install..... a 10 minute job, and the 4 low, or the 7pin mod as they call it . Another 20 minute job.

Now, my 450 has the security "tab" that I had to move to make space for the CDL switch, but that only took a minute to move it down by the rear heater switch.

I hope that this helps clear the air a little about the origional post......

all true...but let's not confuse matters...

having the CDL switch and having lockers are two very different things.

the CDL switch allows a driver to lock the center diff and DISENGAGE the ABS.

Disengaging the ABS is pretty useful when diving on rough roads (i.e. corrugated "fire roads") at a fairly high speed -- it allows a driver to brake a whole lot better than with the ABS engaged.