Can You Put Nor Original Wheels On 400h?

Somewhere, I had heard perhaps incorrectly so that on the Hybrd's you could not go to aftermarket wheel? :cries:

However while in tire shop yesterday with other vehicle I questioned this and tech looked up on computer ans seid

no problem :cheers: . So who is correct :( are there any restrictions? Seems too me I have Never seem a 400h with

anything but stock or original wheels.

Mark

Somewhere, I had heard perhaps incorrectly so that on the Hybrd's you could not go to aftermarket wheel?:cries:

However while in tire shop yesterday with other vehicle I questioned this and tech looked up on computer ans seid

no problem :cheers: . So who is correct :( are there any restrictions? Seems too me I have Never seem a 400h with

anything but stock or original wheels.

Mark

I recall in all the materials that came with the car there is a caution that the 400h wheels have a higher weight capacity. It's not the size or offset issue that most tire dealers would research, but I'm not sure many would look at weight capacity.

Somewhere, I had heard perhaps incorrectly so that on the Hybrd's you could not go to aftermarket wheel?

Seems too me I have Never seem a 400h with anything but stock or original wheels.

There was a directive from Lexus to their dealers to NOT substitute the RX330 wheels on 400h. I think that may have had more to do with hearding the dealers who were trying to make $400-$800 a wheel on chrome work they had done for $40-$80 a wheel. The dealers would take rims off a 330 in stock, send them out for chrome, and then when the RX came in they would slap on the chrome jobs and mark up the sticker price. This is not pracitced any longer, as far as I know.

Aftermarket rims are always a gamble, but stick to name brands and you should be fine. The 400h does generate a great deal of torque, so I would trend toward rim manufacturers who have a performance background if you have the choice.

For instance there is a BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) in the 245/55R18 size. This tire is not the highest rated in its catagory, but most certainly outperforms any of the OEM tires. The higher rated tires do not come in sizes that will work well with the 400h drivetrain (+/-2% change in rotations per mile)... with the exception of...

The Yoko ADVAN S.4. (Ultra High Performance All-Season) in the 245/50R18 size. This tire is the highest rated in this catagory!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...&type=UHPAS

If you go with 19" dia rims you will likely find your tire choices will be even more limited.

Moving down the spectum from Ultra High Performance All-Season oddly enough resluts in even fewer options for the R18 (or especially R19) size with rotations per mi in the 723 to 753 range.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the original wheels run flats on the 400h? If yes, then changing wheels would be a good idea because you would have to insert sensors to keep your internal senors fine. I did this on my GS and the *BLEEP* was all screwed up.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the original wheels run flats on the 400h? If yes, then changing wheels would be a good idea because you would have to insert sensors to keep your internal senors fine. I did this on my GS and the *BLEEP* was all screwed up.

The original wheels are not runflats.

Who doesn't agree that there could be taller / wider / (whatever suits your preference) rims on our 400h rides, that would look better. The rub is, that Lexus used the best configuration for highest mileage, unfortunately. I'd hate to sacrifice that, just for my ever thirsty ego.

Just out of curosity what makes you take for granted I want too quench my thirst for my ego? B) Perhaps my reasoning is I want too stay with same size, :P but not have same wheel as every other RX in the Parking lot. :rolleyes: Sometimes we take for granted things without knowing reasoning for question. :o

Just out of curosity what makes you take for granted I want too quench my thirst for my ego? B) Perhaps my reasoning is I want too stay with same size, :P but not have same wheel as every other RX in the Parking lot. :rolleyes: Sometimes we take for granted things without knowing reasoning for question. :o

Great! There ARE companies out there that'll chrome your stock rims. The trick is having a spare set laying around during the 2 week turn around time. Or, if you come up with another style / same sized rim, maybe you'll let me borrow your spare set, that you won't be using any more, so we won't be inconvenienced while OUR's are being chromed :P

Who doesn't agree that there could be taller / wider / (whatever suits your preference) rims on our 400h rides, that would look better. The rub is, that Lexus used the best configuration for highest mileage, unfortunately. I'd hate to sacrifice that, just for my ever thirsty ego.

Hey, Reybustos bought bigger, wider wheels for HIS ego, why not someone else with the same idea? :cheers:

Great! There ARE companies out there that'll chrome your stock rims. The trick is having a spare set laying around during the 2 week turn around time. Or, if you come up with another style / same sized rim, maybe you'll let me borrow your spare set, that you won't be using any more, so we won't be inconvenienced while OUR's are being chromed :P

Wow perhaps we should shut down all aftermarket wheel makers :rolleyes: we can all keep out original wheels, no one can be differnt, I can't have mine chromed or differnt from yours :cries: All of us should drive the same color have the same options. In my country were free to express our own individualality. My question was if it could be done not if you thought it should be, but thank for your input. Oh as too the extra pair if I go that way I can afford too keep them or I'll put them on ebay and feel free too bid.

Wow perhaps we should shut down all aftermarket wheel makers :rolleyes: we can all keep out original wheels, no one can be differnt, I can't have mine chromed or differnt from yours :cries: All of us should drive the same color have the same options. In my country were free to express our own individualality. My question was if it could be done not if you thought it should be, but thank for your input. Oh as too the extra pair if I go that way I can afford too keep them or I'll put them on ebay and feel free too bid.

Sorry MyToys ... never meant to hurt anyone's feelings. If you look more carefully though, at my 1st thread, I simply said that for ME personally ... that WE can't justify dinging mileage for a different size rim. That's all. Peace bro! That was all I said ... so for all those who change rim sizes for the look ... go for it ... enjoy ... and have a good time with it. Again, sorry if our personal feelings ruffled anyone's feathers.

Sorry MyToys ... never meant to hurt anyone's feelings. If you look more carefully though, at my 1st thread, I simply said that for ME personally ... that WE can't justify dinging mileage for a different size rim. That's all. Peace bro! That was all I said ... so for all those who change rim sizes for the look ... go for it ... enjoy ... and have a good time with it. Again, sorry if our personal feelings ruffled anyone's feathers.

I can help but feel a bit of irony in this thread. One person wants to feel free to express themselves, but when 'SOMEONE ELSE'S GOT MY NAME' exercised his freedom of speech to express his feelings he got flamed. Maybe it is just me but I can't help but feel a sense of irony in the way this topic has been discussed.

BTW back on topic. I heard that the electric motors put out a lot of torque and Lexus took that fact into account when they designed the wheels. There may be a chance that non- standard wheels may not be able to handle the stress of the high torque motors.

• 5 months later...

Hey, Reybustos bought bigger, wider wheels for HIS ego, why not someone else with the same idea? :cheers:

This is Rey Bustos....no, I got new TIRES and they are 255/55/18"...not new RIMS! Just wanting to get the story straight. Rey

hey leave rey alone, hes a great guy. He can do whatever the hell he wants with his RX400h, he can even paint it pink if he wants to, we live in america, not Iran.

Folks safely put wheels on cars with far more torque than the RX puts down. I would be looking at forged wheels to keep the weight in check. Just about anything else is going to be heavier than stock. The el cheapo wheels are tempting but can weigh in at 5 or more lbs per wheel more than the stock pieces. Unsprung weight is detrimental to performance in every way, hurting acceleration, braking, handling, economy, and ride. The penalties are greater on a hybrid than a standard drive. If you want to go to a different size solid research would be in order to determine what you might be running into. Remember that the power distribution scheme was designed around the stock wheel sizes. There is also the usual stuff like speedo accuracy that need to be taken into account. Sticking with the stock wheels size and offset or very close to it (normally OEM specs allow around 3% to account for tire wear and inflation) will be best if you want a hassle free experience.