Bye Bye Vanity Plates

Rya

My husband bought my car for me before we were married (almost 11 years ago). Two years ago, I got vanity plates for myself, unbeknownst to him. Tomorrow it's time to get plates for my RX & I'm thinking that we'd have to rebuy the vanity plates (the new car is in my name, the plates are in his name) since we can't transfer between the two names. I think it's time to say bye bye to the vanity plates - $90 per year is really a bit expensive considering we now have a car payment again. They were fun, but I'm looking forward to being inconspicous again. I even got a small rear-ending last year when someone was trying to figure out what my plates said & she steped on the gas.... but I was still sitting at the red light. Jeesh!

My husband bought my car for me before we were married (almost 11 years ago). Two years ago, I got vanity plates for myself, unbeknownst to him. Tomorrow it's time to get plates for my RX & I'm thinking that we'd have to rebuy the vanity plates (the new car is in my name, the plates are in his name) since we can't transfer between the two names. I think it's time to say bye bye to the vanity plates - $90 per year is really a bit expensive considering we now have a car payment again. They were fun, but I'm looking forward to being inconspicous again. I even got a small rear-ending last year when someone was trying to figure out what my plates said & she steped on the gas.... but I was still sitting at the red light. Jeesh!

If you want to keep them for keepsakes, tell DMV that someone stole the plates... Then get your new plates....

If you want to keep them for keepsakes, tell DMV that someone stole the plates... Then get your new plates....

Oh, cool idea. They are a bit sentimental. Thanks!

Just don't send them in, they won't care and hang on to them.

I'm not a fan of vanity plates...

Wrong! Certain states require that your old plates are turned in.

Here's an example from the NYS DMV >> http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/regtransfer.htm#surrender

Here's an example from the NYS DMV >> http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/regtransfer.htm#surrender

That is why you tell them they were stolen... end of subject....by the way my wife had plates too, but took them off after being briefed about security issue, in that bad people remember the vanity plates and can watch you more easily in the case of stalking and whatever... She "lost" them and got new plates... I highly suggest this for women....

I don't know if you are required to return the plates. My friend just got one of those scrambled "personalized" plates, the ones on those "california" designed plates that has 3 numbers and 3 letters, and he didnt return his original 7 digit scrambled plates!

I'm not wrong, Maryland "requires" it also. I've kept every set of plates from every car I've ever had, and nobody's ever said a thing to me.

Here's the site in MD, looks the same to me: http://mva.state.md.us/AboutMVA/INFO/27300-04T.htm#anchor303

In fact, I bet all states require they be turned in.

Or the worst case scenerio, turn the rear plates in, and say you "lost" the front ones cuz you never put those on and you misplaced them. That's what I'm planning on doing with my cars now... The only plates that I've kept was from our RX300, but then again it's bent into the shape of the bumper cuz it was in an accident and my insurance wanted me to replace them but I decided to keep the old ones. :rolleyes:

My front "vanity" plates. haha. :rolleyes:

DSC01077.jpg

Ok, here's what happened.... I still have the plates, they're going onto the RX until April when they expire. Then we'll change them to my b-day & I 'll get plain ol' state issued plates. Since we just got them renewed in April, my hubby wanted to get our $$ out of them for the remainder of the tag. They were fun for 2 years, but I'm ready to have something that doesn't stand out. Yes, security is a concern & if people figure out what they say, they can guess with 98% certainty that I'm female. In Ohio, we don't need to turn in our old plates, so I'll hang them up with my old dance shoes when I'm done with them. :D