Going Through Dealer For Navi 6.1 Disable

i have a 6.1 nave and heard that someone had a dealer disable the gray out or block features when driving. Is this true? does it void warranty? anybody think of anythign yet? i dont want to void warranty and dont feel comfortable cutting wires in my car. also what about a way to watch dvds from my nav while driving, w/out ever having to buy the ML package? I know its possible but give me your input on what it'll take. after a while who knows. i might not care about the warranty and just go for it.

i have a 6.1 nave and heard that someone had a dealer disable the gray out or block features when driving. Is this true? does it void warranty? anybody think of anythign yet? i dont want to void warranty and dont feel comfortable cutting wires in my car. also what about a way to watch dvds from my nav while driving, w/out ever having to buy the ML package? I know its possible but give me your input on what it'll take. after a while who knows. i might not care about the warranty and just go for it.

The Nav Discloser.. I would highly doubt that any dealer would disable it do to the awesome legal system in the US!! Its a sue sue sue world... and it would be hard for me to see anyone dealer would put themselves in that position...

Not sure about the DVD... wasnt able to get the ML package on mine... I've been trying to find a ML on a IS in Mass just to see what it sounds like... no luck... strange because ML HQ is located in Mass.

The safety device your referring to is connected to the transmission. When the Car is put into drive, or taken out of park, it throws up the signal. You don't have to have the dealer do the disconnection. Any competent car audio shop can do that for you. And no, it doesn't void any warrentees. As to your other question about DVD, I have an after market unit. I can watch DVD's, videos downloaded from my ipod, or music, while having nav engaged the whole time and directing me all on the same screen.

The safety device your referring to is connected to the transmission. When the Car is put into drive, or taken out of park, it throws up the signal.

Its not actually that simple. The lockouts are connected to the nav's speed sensor, deactivating it causes the system not to work properly, and it absolutely will void the warranty.

Then there must be several ways the different navigational systems can be installed. I have the Pioneer AVIC-3. Nav. system. Like I said earlier, I can watch DVD's while in drive, and have the nav telling me directions at the same time. In fact one of the screen options is a 3 gauge cluster that monitors MPH, Lateral G's and Dynamic G's, slope degree's, a clock, and direction. ( you pick which 3 you want as a cluster.)

So, sorry about the misinformation. As I looked into the unit that is used by Lexus as a stock unit, they have put on some clever lock out features. And it looks like they are indeed internal features. ( In the Nav unit itself.)

It amazes me at how different the aftermarket units are compared to the stock units. After looking at the stock unit, I have to say that aftermarket is soooo much better.

I frankly don't see any problem to hit the rad button.

I've been wondering why won't we get the minor upgrades of the nav software? If I had v 5.0 when i bought my car why wouldn't I get v 5.1, v 5.9 when they become available? Correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstand it.

I've expreinced some glitches with my IS nav.

Then there must be several ways the different navigational systems can be installed. I have the Pioneer AVIC-3. Nav. system. Like I said earlier, I can watch DVD's while in drive, and have the nav telling me directions at the same time. In fact one of the screen options is a 3 gauge cluster that monitors MPH, Lateral G's and Dynamic G's, slope degree's, a clock, and direction. ( you pick which 3 you want as a cluster.)

Thats an aftermarket system, the stock system is completely different.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll have to see if there are any AV inputs on your stock unit. I f there are then your in business. If not then, it's SOL. Do you have the back up camera? If you do and you don't use it or care, you can unplug that and hook up your dvd player to that input. But as I'm typing this I'm remembering some new stuff coming out on the market now in response to everyone wanting everything in their car. Yeah, I think you might be able to use a control station. Check out the Kenwood KOS-V500 or the KOS v-1000. I know those have video in and outs on it. I'm not sure I have seen any other stations with full pre outs on it yet.