Ask For Old Parts Back After Service?

edbro

How many of you ask for the old parts back after service? I'm having my water pump replaced while my timing belt is being changed and I would have no way of verifying that either was actually done. While I'm confident that the belt would get changed I would wonder about the pump. I guess what I'm asking is; does it create ill will at the very beginning if you ask for the old parts back from the service tech?

Personally, I've always found it uncomfortable to ask for old parts back, even though you have an absolute right to do so.

Tom

LEXUS in Westminster, CA, allowed me to bring in my OEM parts ( timing belt, water pump, thermostat, drive and PS pump belts....) ordered from IronToad, and they charged me just for labor.

I asked to get old parts back, since they said they don't guarranty the parts I bought elsewhere. And when I picked up the car, they carefully put them in a box after thoughroughly cleaned them!!!

I even marked all the new parts with a Shrapie, even on water pump, thermostat and timing belt which are very hard for me to verify once installed.

I also showed them the prices that I paid for those parts (copy of the receipt) which were way below theirs.

(I noticed the old parts looked almost brand new after 113k miles, on a 1999 RX300, specially the timing belt.)

Sometime afterwards, I had brake pads changed and I got the same deal.

Good and friendly service!

• 1 year later...
LEXUS in Westminster, CA, allowed me to bring in my OEM parts ( timing belt, water pump, thermostat, drive and PS pump belts....) ordered from IronToad, and they charged me just for labor.

I asked to get old parts back, since they said they don't guarranty the parts I bought elsewhere. And when I picked up the car, they carefully put them in a box after thoughroughly cleaned them!!!

I even marked all the new parts with a Shrapie, even on water pump, thermostat and timing belt which are very hard for me to verify once installed.

I also showed them the prices that I paid for those parts (copy of the receipt) which were way below theirs.

(I noticed the old parts looked almost brand new after 113k miles, on a 1999 RX300, specially the timing belt.)

Sometime afterwards, I had brake pads changed and I got the same deal.

Good and friendly service!

Exactly right! My dealer asks if I want the old parts back. They have even suggested which ones look to be in good enough condition to serve as backup. It's true that if they don't supply the part, they won't warranty it, only their labor. If you've got a mechanic that's been servicing your car for years and you have a trusting relationship, then I would say there's really no need to ask for the old parts. Don't forget, if the recommended changeout doesn't fix the problem, you can't ask for them to put the old part back in and get your money back if you didn't ask them to keep it in the first place.