Climate Control Or Thermostat Issue?

I know it sounds crazy at this time of year, but we just had a cold front move in recently, so I figure I will turn on the 'ol heater and test it out. I push the auto button on the climate control and am immediately hit with a max A/C blast. Even after getting it shut off and playing around with the settings, the best I could manage was about luke-warm and that was only after the car was well warmed up. Any ideas as to which it could be? *EDIT* It should be noted that the climate control unit's display is working perfectly and the A/C and vent work fine, it just doesn't put out heat like it should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mine climate control is blowing only luke warm, which is not sufficient in winter. Heater valve solenoid control apparently wasn't providing any vacuum to open heater valve. I have bypassed solenoi control. Now i can see that valve is wide open but coolant lines that lead in and out of heater core are just slightly warm, so is the air.

It must be thermostat. I'll go an change it in couple days unless club members suggest otherwise.

Any comments please?

Mine climate control is blowing only luke warm, which is not sufficient in winter. Heater valve solenoid control apparently wasn't providing any vacuum to open heater valve. I have bypassed solenoi control. Now i can see that valve is wide open but coolant lines that lead in and out of heater core are just slightly warm, so is the air.

It must be thermostat. I'll go an change it in couple days unless club members suggest otherwise.

Any comments please?

I agree, sounds like thermostat. I would double check the coolant level. It can leak from the coolant reservoir, and just a little low on coolant will greatly reduce heater performance.

Good luck,

You are right. Coolant level is always the first thing to check. Coolant tank is full and i did bleed the system (running full heating cycle with coolant cap opened).

I've found good remark in another thread how to diagnose thermostat. To identify thermostat stuck open you should squezze radiator-engine coolant line while engine is running cold.

Coolant is not supposed to circulate via radiator during when engine is cold. If you feel pressure builds up within coolant line while you are squeezing it , then it mean that thermostat is stuck open.

You are right. Coolant level is always the first thing to check. Coolant tank is full and i did bleed the system (running full heating cycle with coolant cap opened).

I've found good remark in another thread how to diagnose thermostat. To identify thermostat stuck open you should squezze radiator-engine coolant line while engine is running cold.

Coolant is not supposed to circulate via radiator during when engine is cold. If you feel pressure builds up within coolant line while you are squeezing it , then it mean that thermostat is stuck open.

Yep. Thermostats are designed with a safe failure mode, to fail stuck open. That way failure gives you a too cool engine not a too hot engine