96 Sc400, Interference Engine Or Not?

can anynone tell me whether my 96 SC400 has an interference engine or not?

just bought it on eBay with 166K, but I am not sure the timing belt was replaced or not. I heard that a broken timing belt on non-interference motor would just quit running, no real harm is done!

also, what is the factory recommended mileage to replace TB?

thanks in advance for your time.

It's a non-interference motor. Only on VTT-i engine. I see timing belt last up to 140k miles. Just to be safe I would replace it now.

JP IMPORTZ

Hi JPI,

thanks for the info.

for a 166K, I can image it had TB replaced at least once, but to be safe I will go ahead to replace TB.

at least I know now it's a non-interference, TB replacement should not be as expensive as timing chain on Mercedes 420SEL which costed me $1200, parts+labor! assuming it is not to be serviced by dealer, how much can I expect to pay TB replacement at a 'regular' shop?

I also own a 94 LS400 (w/115K miles) with the same 1UZ-FE engine. I assume it's also a non-interference?

thanks again for your time!

• 8 years later...

I have been trying to get a straight and correct answer on this topic, off and on, for freakin years!! It seems like I continually encountered self-professed experts around every corner who continually contradicted each other. Frustrating!! I finally got my hands on an authentic Lexus dealership shop repair manual and began combing the pages. I finally found this statement on page EM-4 (Engine Mechanical-4), word for word, from the actual creator of my 1993 1UZFE. "Pistons are made of high temperature-resistant aluminum alloy, and a depression is built into the piston head to prevent interference with valves". BAMMMM!! :) At least I know I'm in the clear with my '93 SC.

• 11 months later...

The Factory Service manual for 1992 SC400 has the same statement : "Pistons are made of high temperature-resistant aluminum alloy, and a depression is built into the piston head to prevent interference with valves" Page EM-4

The 1992-1996 engines were "non-interference" engines. In 1997 higher compression pistons and lighter rods raised the horsepower to 260 and those, as well as the 1998-00 VVTi engines, were interferance engines. If you have basic metric tools and some mechanical background the belt is actually quite easy to swap.