Weird Noise

louie1010

I have a '05 LX 470 that I recently purchased. It is making a weird noise (howling) that seems to be coming from the front driver side of the vehicle when going over speeds of 50+ mph or when it is really windy. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it does happen and it is very annoying. I didn't know if this was normal because the vehicle does sit higher up, and it is something you just have to deal with. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002 LX and it had the windshield replaced (causing excessive wind noise), there are some parts that aftermarket installers do not have and there is a few parts needed from lexus. All OEM windows say lexus on them if you check out your windshield and is says some thing other than lexus. I would say, there is your problem! Hope this helps and have a great day!

:wacko:

I have a 2002 LX and it had the windshield replaced (causing excessive wind noise), there are some parts that aftermarket installers do not have and there is a few parts needed from lexus. All OEM windows say lexus on them if you check out your windshield and is says some thing other than lexus. I would say, there is your problem! Hope this helps and have a great day!

Thank you for the response. I did check the windshield and it is a "Lexus" windshield, so I guess that isn't it. I guess I will just have to take it in to the dealer.

• 1 month later...

My 2005 Lx470 has exactly the same problem as yours. But I didn't check it whether it is the problem coming from the windshield. That problem just came up today. If you have the answer from the dealer,please let me know. Your help is appreciated.

Thank you for the response. I did check the windshield and it is a "Lexus" windshield, so I guess that isn't it. I guess I will just have to take it in to the dealer.

• 2 months later...

FYI, the howling noise problem has been solved. I took a ride with a Lexus mechanic and he found the noise to be quite odd. After he completed a search in the Lexus informational database he found that there have been some problems with the driver side door weather stripping, which caused loud wind noise The stripping was replaced last month and I haven't hear a sound...

Usually with the windshield installation, even if the installer uses OEM glass, the trick is that the windshield is riveted with 4 rivetrs on either side. As far as I know, this is the only vehicle like this, and most installers are unaware of it. If they don't install it properly, the mouldings won't seat correctly, resulting in major wind noise and possible water leaks. One glass shop scratched and bent up the body around the windshield to one guy's 100 on another board. I'm getting my windshield replaced again..had one replaced almost exactly one year ago (both OEM, same dealer). The dealer did a great job last time, unfortunately, a rock about 1" from the bottom edge center was all it took to generate a 15" crack. Previous windshield was cracked by a rock about 1" from the passenger side vertical edge, generating a 1.5' long crack. From my two experiences, the LX windshield, if struck by a good-sized rock 1" from the edge, will generate a crack 100% of the time. Price of the lexus windshield rose from $680 last year to $980 this year...that's glass only! Trim, rain sensing tape, rivets, and labor are extra! $1380 total is the estimate! Luckily, insurance will pay for it. :)

Anyways, glad your problem is solved. I'd find it hard to believe a 1-2 yr old car would have a new windshield unless it was driven extensively on 2-lane highways. Mine is a dedicated road-trip car, hence it spends most of the time on the interstate or highways, very little city driving other than grocery errands on the weekend.

• 4 months later...

I bought my 2002 Lexus used and it had excessive wind noise when I got it. it turns out that the grommetts are removed and they put in smaller ones regarding the side plastic pieces. The guy who I had re-replace the winshield (reccomended by the lexus dealer) said that he had actualy replaced the winshield in the car before. The last person did not follow the steps needed to even glue it in let alone put the molding back on. They also used a larger knife that was needed to remove the excess glue and cut into the interior trim arround the window :o . SO what I learned was from the installer is regarding the side molding on the winshield on the outside if the guys are good they will use larger grommets or they will actualy drill new holes and use screws to get that oem fit. I was not trying to get free lobster dinners or whatever the crap is that they give away for winshields these days. When it comes down to it if some one has a windshield problem regardless of where they bought the car. GO GET A REFERRAL FROM THE LEXUS DEALER FROM LEATHER TOUCH UP TO WINDSHILEDS TO WHATEVER does thier detail work. They have a reputation to uphold. SOOO if you just had some bozo replace it then tell them how it needs to be done and go to the BBB Unfortunatly if you have a wind noise and are reading this then thats probably what will need to happen. Best of luck :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

My 05 Lx470 used to make this howling noise at freeway speeds of about 60-70mph.

I drove it today (it's my wife's car) and took it up to 70-80mph and didn't hear the noise. Isn't that strange? The noise wouldn't just go away, would it?

I may still bring it to the dealer to check out.

Also going to have them check out a strnge noise that you hear sometimes when you brake. It's not the pad or rotors, but it sounds like a "system" is turned on sometimes when you brake. Turns on for a few seconds, then off, but nothing bad seems to happen. Just weird.