Automatic Sound Levelizer (asl) Adjustment?

I'm trying to defeat the ASL. Does anyone have the procedure or access to TSB No.: AU00200? That TSB seems to discuss the feature.

"TSB No.: AU00200 NHTSA No.: 614062 TSB Date: August 04, 2000

Failing Component:

Equipment:Electrical:Radio/Tape Deck/Cd Etc.

Description of Summary:

Information on the automatic sound levelizer feature implemented into the standard audio system made by pioneer."

Can't you just turn it off?

...and how might I do that? :blushing:

There should be a button on the front of the headunit with "ASL" on it. If not push the tuner knob in and go through the settings. Does 'ASL" display on the LCD ?

yes what dc said. You push the knob where you can change the different sound settings (bass, treb, speaker location etc) and eventually you will get to "ASL ON". just turn the knob to ASL OFF.

why do you want to defeat it. It doesnt even really do anything.

why do you want to defeat it. It doesnt even really do anything.

I think on that gen ES there is an "ASL" button.

It does actually adjust the volume depending on the speed and ambient noise. I notice a difference when I shut it off or drive the Prius since it doesn't have ASL. I have to adjust the volume, in the Lexus I never do.

There is no button "ASL". It has individual knobs for balance/fade/bass/mid/high, so those are not accessed thru menu. I'm hoping there is a way to access a menu wherein the ASL is defeatable.

I need to toggle it because it reacts far too aggressively. Volume goes from very quiet to overly loud. Sometimes the logic is fooled and the sound will randomly change volume up & down...it will do this while sitting in traffic, for example.

This is what the radio looks like.

789799_14.jpg

I don't believe it has ASL. You may have a different problem.

The manual says it has ASL...it just doesn't tell me how to defeat it. I'm hoping that is possible by someone other than a dealer. The dealer defeated ASL when we bought the car and subsequent repair work re-enabled it.

I don't believe it has ASL. You may have a different problem.

The manual says it has ASL...it just doesn't tell me how to defeat it. I'm hoping that is possible by someone other than a dealer. The dealer defeated ASL when we bought the car and subsequent repair work re-enabled it.

OK, Let's go this route, Post a pic of your headunit and we'll go from there.

Somewhere i found the TSB (forgot to print it so i could do the procedure)... all i can find now is a broken link with the following description.

2000 model year Lexus ES300 vehicles with standard audio system (Pioneer) built after the VINs listed.

For 2000 model year ES 300 vehicles, the Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) feature has been implemented into the standard audio system made by Pioneer. For customers who dislike this feature, it is now possible to disable it on vehicles produced after the VINs listed below. For vehicles produced before these VINs, please refer to the bottom of page 2 of this bulletin.

NOTE: Only standard audio systems are affected, the Nakamichi audio system does NOT have this ASL Feature.

Just an FYI...

• 4 weeks later...

1) With the car off, hold down buttons 2 & 5 simultaneously on the stereo

2) Insert key and turn to "ACC" position

3) Release buttons 2 & 5

4) Press the "CD" button on the stereo

The display will flash "ASL OFF"

If you want to turn the feature back on, press the CD button a second time and the display will say "ASL ON"