Rough Idle

This forum is great, and I've learned a lot about my 1993 ES 300. I've got an occasional rough idle, which was a lot worse, as it used to cut off after at low RPMs, until on the advice of this forum, I did the following:

1. Changed plugs, wire, cap, rotor (plugs were bad saw an arc one day)

2. Cleaned injectors, throttle, replace fuel filter

3. Replaced Intake Air intake Hose (was cracked)

4. Replaced Engine Exhaust Flex Pipe (was damaged)

I noticed yesterday that my dogbone mount is loose and worn. Could this be the cause of the rough idle? I know there are some other possibilites i.e. EGR, Air Flow Senor, but I'm just hopeful that it's something as simple as the dogbone. I could probably live with the rough idle, but I ordered Motor Mount Set from eBay in hopes them would do the trick. The car runs smooth besides the rough idle.

Any other advice would be appreciated. This forum is the best. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
This forum is great, and I've learned a lot about my 1993 ES 300. I've got an occasional rough idle, which was a lot worse, as it used to cut off after at low RPMs, until on the advice of this forum, I did the following:

I noticed yesterday that my dogbone mount is loose and worn. Could this be the cause of the rough idle? I know there are some other possibilites i.e. EGR, Air Flow Senor, but I'm just hopeful that it's something as simple as the dogbone. I could probably live with the rough idle, but I ordered Motor Mount Set from eBay in hopes them would do the trick. The car runs smooth besides the rough idle.

i was wondering if you got your idle prob fixed....heres a trick to tell ...

start up your car in the drive way

put the car into drive (while foot on the break)

watch the RMP does it drop slowly ?

NOW turn the ac on med or high >>>>watch the RMP

DOes the RMP rise back up slowly?

if so this has nothing to do with motor mounts or tranmision mounts.

Thanks. I'll try this. I did replace the dogbone, and it didn't really help the idle. Just a slight improvement. I'm beggining to think Idle Control Valve is the problem

Just realized ( dumb me) an important point. Sometimes the car will idle fine and smooth and then other times it will be real rough. There's no pattern. Except that in the morning when the engine is cold, the idle is almost always smooth. But after some thought I really think its the Idle Control Valve because its probably sticking intermittently! Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please explain what could be the problem of the rough idle? I would like to know because my Lexus GX470 vibrates at idle.

Just realized ( dumb me) an important point. Sometimes the car will idle fine and smooth and then other times it will be real rough. There's no pattern. Except that in the morning when the engine is cold, the idle is almost always smooth. But after some thought I really think its the Idle Control Valve because its probably sticking intermittently! Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Hey TVJR, my 2005 GX470 (64K miles) has the exact same problem as yours described from above post. The Lexus dealer told me they cleaned all the possible parts that may cause the vibration at idle but my GX still vibrates at idle. They think that is normal but I would like to test drive another 2005 with over 60K on it. What is your mileage?

Hey TVJR, my 2005 GX470 (64K miles) has the exact same problem as yours described from above post. The Lexus dealer told me they cleaned all the possible parts that may cause the vibration at idle but my GX still vibrates at idle. They think that is normal but I would like to test drive another 2005 with over 60K on it. What is your mileage?

Well, I haven't been to a Lexus dealer, but I don't think it's normal. My ES is a 1993 with 143,000 miles on it. I would think they could troubleshoot a 2005 and find the problem, as it's not that old. With a 14 year old car, it could be anything. I've got a new Idle Control Valve on the way that I purchased on Ebay for $100.00, so once I get that installed, I'll let you know if it solved the problem.

• 10 months later...

my 93 es300 does that...what could be the problem i changed wires,plugs mas air flow,and cleaned the IACV.....I NEEED HELP :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: