Alway Use The Premium 93 Gas....knock & Pinging Noise Still

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All-

I alway use the premium 93 since i had my RX. I still get some the Pinging noise when the speed is under 35mph. The noise will be worse with regular gas. This just happen after the engine has warm enough. Sometime it's disappeared and come back anytime.

I did check the engine oil, Transmission fluid, coolant, and used a bottle of Fuel system clearner from Chevon. My temp gause showing 45% after finish the warm up. I got between 14-15mpg (city only). I drive about 4 miles (one way)with heavy traffic jam everyday that it took my about 25-35min.

Please give some advice before i go to the dealer. I just worry when i bring to them the ping sometime disappear.

Thanks everyone in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All-

I alway use the premium 93 since i had my RX. I still get some the Pinging noise when the speed is under 35mph. The noise will be worse with regular gas. This just happen after the engine has warm enough. Sometime it's disappeared and come back anytime.

I did check the engine oil, Transmission fluid, coolant, and used a bottle of Fuel system clearner from Chevon. My temp gause showing 45% after finish the warm up. I got between 14-15mpg (city only). I drive about 4 miles (one way)with heavy traffic jam everyday that it took my about 25-35min.

Please give some advice before i go to the dealer. I just worry when i bring to them the ping sometime disappear.

Thanks everyone in advance.

If it's actually knock/ping and the knock sensors are operational a diagnostic code will have been stored in the computer and the dealer will have no questions...

If the knock sensor, either bank, is bad the dealer should be able to isolate that fairly quickly.

That close to mid-point on the temp guage seems high, an overheated engine block will oftentimes result in knock/ping.

I really can't help you with your problem (sorry), but as an aside I've heard that putting premium fuel in an engine designed for regular is a waste of money. The extra octane has no added benefit since the engine is not properly equipped to use it. I traded in my RX for an IS 250 and I cringe every time I have to pay the extra 20c per gallon for premium because the car is required to have it (especially with fuel well over 3 bucks a gallon anyway). Never had any problem using regular on my RX.

Obviously you have some other problem which is causing the engine knock. Once you have it taken care of may I respectfully suggest that you try switching to regular. You may be surprised to see no decrease in performance, and you'll save money to boot. Just my two cents...

If it's actually knock/ping and the knock sensors are operational a diagnostic code will have been stored in the computer and the dealer will have no questions...

If your check engine light is on, you can go to any Auto Zone and borrow their diagnotic tool to get the code(s) causing the problem.

I learned of this a couple of years ago when my dad needed me to get his Jag smogged for CA DMV registration while he was out of town. The engine light was on and service shops all wanted a minimum of 1/2 hour labor to read the codes. Someone told me about Auto Zone so I went there, borrowed the tool, and wrote down the code that came up. Since the tool resets the eng light, I had it smog checked right away and it passed with flying colors. I then researched the code online and my dad was able to know exactly what repair was needed, which he did when he returned from his trip.

It took about only about 5 minutes to run the diagnostic test. It's hard to believe how much shops and dealers charge to do it. Doing it yourself allows you to know what it needed and then find the most cost-effective way to address it.