Michelin Energy Mv4 S8 Replacement - 08 Rx350

GDixon

The OEM Michelin MV4 S8 tires on my 08 RX350 are made for gas mileage and little else. There are very few grand touring all-season tires in the exact 235/55 18 (736 rev/mi) range for replacement.

I'm looking at Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge in 235/60 (718 rev/mi), 255/45 (773 rev/mi), or 255/55 (720 rev/mi). The speedo will be a bit off but it is not a major problem. Rim width seems OK for all of the tires. The Goodyears have much better handling and braking performance and would be preferred since my driving tends to be a bit brisk.

Has anyone experienced these tires on a Lexus? Is there something better out there for lively driving that has performed well on an RX3xx? How about the Bridgestone Truanza LS?

We are going on a trip to Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, and winding down the Pacific coast this fall with possible water or light snow on the roads. The Michelins are notorious for poor wet and snow grip and finding out their limits at an inopportune time is an experience to be avoided.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

GDixon

More and more SUV owners with 18-inch rims are discovering the Bridgestone Alenza. It is the only Bridgestone tire I would purchase. I swapped out brand-new Michelin MXV4 S8 tires for the Alenzas on my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD when we purchased it in late January (the swap cost me a grand total of $47 at Discount Tire since that's where the S8 tires had been purchased by the seller). The Alenzas are a bit pricey (what 18-inch tire isn't?) but my research convinced me that they are the best all-around choice for an SUV with 18-inch rims. Wet performance is outstanding, snow performance is very good, the Alenza has 25% more tread depth than the S8, and the 65,000 treadwear warranty was the icing on the cake. We've had these Alenzas for more than 8,000 miles now and I know I made the right decision. Check 'em out for yourself....