Repair Bill Opinion Requested

Engine light came on and the OBDII codes detected on my 99 ES300, V6 with VVT-i, 160K miles, were:

P0300, random cylinder misfire detected

P0303, cylinder 3 misfire detected

P0304: cylinder 4 misfire detected

The reputable local repair shop replaced 6 spark plugs but only replaced iginition coils for cylinders 3 and 4, and pcv valve.

Total bill:

Parts - $379 (including $336 for 2 ignition coils)

Labor - $156

Repair shop said the other iginition coils are likely to go since these did. I declined to have them replaced just yet. I was a bit taken back by the cost and wanted to wait to see if I could replace them myself.

To be honest, I don't think the car has had a tune-up in at least 100K miles. It belongs to my girlfriend and she had it before she had me. ;-)

Your opinion please:

1. Is the bill for parts and labor a reasonable cost?

2. Should I go ahead and replace the other coils now?

Engine light came on and the OBDII codes detected on my 99 ES300, V6 with VVT-i, 160K miles, were:

The reputable local repair shop replaced 6 spark plugs but only replaced iginition coils for cylinders 3 and 4, and pcv valve.

Total bill:

Labor - $156

Repair shop said the other iginition coils are likely to go since these did. I declined to have them replaced just yet. I was a bit taken back by the cost and wanted to wait to see if I could replace them myself.

To be honest, I don't think the car has had a tune-up in at least 100K miles. It belongs to my girlfriend and she had it before she had me. ;-)

Your opinion please:

I think you got a pretty good deal, I would have done that stuff myself, but your cost seems extremely fair when considering how much Lexus would have charged. Drive on and if you have more problems replaced the other coil packs, they are easy work....

Total bill:

Labor - $156

Your opinion please:

I think you got a pretty good deal, I would have done that stuff myself, but your cost seems extremely fair when considering how much Lexus would have charged. Drive on and if you have more problems replaced the other coil packs, they are easy work....

wait a 99 has coils on every cyc?

my 97 has three coils and 3 wires leading the the rear bank.

but ah not that bad of price if the car is running fine.

thanks for the response, guys. I guess I just need to get used to $$ on repairs. I'm not complaining as this car has been running great, and now with the new coils, runs perfectly again.

Yeah, apparently the v6, - w/VVT - engines have coils on each plug.