Not So Smooth Sounding Start 95 Ls400

LS4hundy

So I never really questioned this when I bought the car off an old man a year ago because I was so stoked about the low mileage. When I start my car its a bit of a rough start sound wise. I used to valet in my younger days and I always remebered the signiture sound of a lexus starting. Honda has one as well etc. I have all the records from the previous owner and some starter work was done awhile back at the lexus dealer but not quite sure exactly what. Im sure everything is fine but it drives me nuts. Especially when the car is warm and I start it is when I most notice it. All the fluids have been changed and the car is in tip top shape.

Another question.

The car still has the original spark plug wires. Do these need to be changed? My friends told me that its not a huge deal on a lexus and to worry about them around 100k. If so, im pumped becuause other than changing oil, kind of worked on my brakes, and installed my wipers, im kind of a rookie at working on cars but the spark plug wires seem like an easy fix.

Also are there particular wires I should use?

Thanks in advance fellas :cheers:

So I never really questioned this when I bought the car off an old man a year ago because I was so stoked about the low mileage. When I start my car its a bit of a rough start sound wise. I used to valet in my younger days and I always remebered the signiture sound of a lexus starting. Honda has one as well etc. I have all the records from the previous owner and some starter work was done awhile back at the lexus dealer but not quite sure exactly what. Im sure everything is fine but it drives me nuts. Especially when the car is warm and I start it is when I most notice it. All the fluids have been changed and the car is in tip top shape.

Another question.

The car still has the original spark plug wires. Do these need to be changed? My friends told me that its not a huge deal on a lexus and to worry about them around 100k. If so, im pumped becuause other than changing oil, kind of worked on my brakes, and installed my wipers, im kind of a rookie at working on cars but the spark plug wires seem like an easy fix.

Also are there particular wires I should use?

Thanks in advance fellas :cheers:

What kind of sound you are talking about? Is it when you turn the ignition, or is it when it runs? Can you please explain?

I changed my plugs and wires around 97k and they were in great shape still.

Eagle33 - do you have parkinsons?

LS4hundy - it would've been nice if you provided some details, like the sound that you are hearing and the milage of your ride. The fact that you bought it from an old man (prolly Eagle33 :whistles: ) doesn't quite describe the full picture :rolleyes:

Eagle33 - do you have parkinsons? ...... Did I ask that already??? :lol:

The car has 75k miles on it and its a 1995. I am only talking about when I start the car. The car runs smooth like Sam Perkins jump shot. Im sure everything is fine but I was just wondering if anybody else had the same issue. I hope this clarifys things a little. Just a rough sounding start, thats all. When I first start my car, its ounds fine, but after the car has been running for lets say an hour, when I start it again, it starts rough sounding. A question I did ask before was if and when I should change my spark plug WIRES. I already changed the plugs. Also, which wires should I choose? Whats a fair price? Ive looked at websites and they from $100 - $300.

Hope this makes more sense. I did have the car checked when I purchased it and everything was great other than minor maintnance. Do the spark plug wires have anything to do with how the car starts? Whan did you all change your wires?

it sounds like to me that you need some seafoam. I'd do a search for "seafoam" and read up on the intake cleaning, oil, and gas. The reason why I say seafoam, is that it sounds like the initial start, when the engine is cold, and cold "dense" air is being introduced to the engine, it's fine. But after the engine is hot, especially the EGR system, it's rough. Which makes me think the intake is probably dirty, and the egr system is dirty. Seafoam through the brake booster line, as described in several other threads, should show you some possitive results. Also, how is your air filter? Might want to change it out too. The thing about buying these from "old" guys, is that you either have one that was taken care of at the dealership, or you have one that was owned by the mentality of "it starts, it runs, it's fine". But, to me, this sounds like a heat issue, and one thing that can really make a car run rough is bad air. I would not, I repeat, I would not, mess with the plugs until after you seafoam the engine. It very well might foul a plug or two. Infact, I would probably put your old plugs back in for the seafoaming, then replace them afterwards with your new ones. At that time, if you want, you can replace the wires. But, I would think if your wires were bad, you'd know it from the beginning, as cold hampers electrical current moreso than heat does.

Or, being in Seattle, you might have a moisture problem on the distributor caps...

it sounds like to me that you need some seafoam. I'd do a search for "seafoam" and read up on the intake cleaning, oil, and gas. The reason why I say seafoam, is that it sounds like the initial start, when the engine is cold, and cold "dense" air is being introduced to the engine, it's fine. But after the engine is hot, especially the EGR system, it's rough. Which makes me think the intake is probably dirty, and the egr system is dirty. Seafoam through the brake booster line, as described in several other threads, should show you some possitive results. Also, how is your air filter? Might want to change it out too. The thing about buying these from "old" guys, is that you either have one that was taken care of at the dealership, or you have one that was owned by the mentality of "it starts, it runs, it's fine". But, to me, this sounds like a heat issue, and one thing that can really make a car run rough is bad air. I would not, I repeat, I would not, mess with the plugs until after you seafoam the engine. It very well might foul a plug or two. Infact, I would probably put your old plugs back in for the seafoaming, then replace them afterwards with your new ones. At that time, if you want, you can replace the wires. But, I would think if your wires were bad, you'd know it from the beginning, as cold hampers electrical current moreso than heat does.

Or, being in Seattle, you might have a moisture problem on the distributor caps...

Well i changed the plugs about a year ago, shouldt i just use these plugs? I dont have the old plugs anyhow. Also, i have a k&n air filter which i have been using for about 4 months. The old man i bought it from was a rich dude who bought the car for his wife who drobe less than 5k a year. He gave me all of the records from lexus so it was maintained well as far as the records show. I will look into seafoam, ive read about on this forum but not really being to familiar with engines(other than minor stuff) i never thought of using it. Moisture also isnt a problem, im in hippy ashland oregon fininshing my MAT program, i just havent updated my profile. I also spoke with a toyota guy at the dealership and he told me that wires arent that big of a deal and that many people go over a 100k before they get them replaced. So seafoam through the brake booster. Should I worry about the plugs after the sea foam deal? My car is coming up on 80k. I did a buch of work when I got the car to avoid truoble later such as timing belt, all fluids, filters, caps. Is there anything I should be looking into. All of the previous work i just mentioned was within a year ago.

Cant say thanks enough for this forum!!