Raced A Z4

oslo

Went guitar shopping yesterday and on the way I pulled up next to a Z4. I had my two friends in the backseat. Guy in the Z4 looked like he wanted to race and I wanted to see how I'd fare against him with my new intake and chip. I thought he'd pull ahead, since it was a Z4 with only the driver inside, and I had two extra people in my car, but we both floored it, and I pulled ahead slightly before he had to back off due to some cyclists. I love what a sleeper the LS is!

Went guitar shopping yesterday and on the way I pulled up next to a Z4. I had my two friends in the backseat. Guy in the Z4 looked like he wanted to race and I wanted to see how I'd fare against him with my new intake and chip. I thought he'd pull ahead, since it was a Z4 with only the driver inside, and I had two extra people in my car, but we both floored it, and I pulled ahead slightly before he had to back off due to some cyclists. I love what a sleeper the LS is!

BMW's are garbge racers. The only BMWs I can respect are the M series ones because at least they have great speed. It's not that BMW's are bad, it's just that for their price they aren't worth the power output. You can buy an Infiniti G35 for the same cost as a 3 series coupe and the G35 will smoke it everytime. Japan > Germany.

BMW's are garbge racers. The only BMWs I can respect are the M series ones because at least they have great speed. It's not that BMW's are bad, it's just that for their price they aren't worth the power output. You can buy an Infiniti G35 for the same cost as a 3 series coupe and the G35 will smoke it everytime. Japan > Germany.

I wouldn't call BMW's garbage racers just because they are slower than certain Japanese cars. They have excellent handling and can smoke most cars on the road. If you want to talk about garbage racers, let's head on over to a Civic forum...

You are unbelievable man LMAO. What a wealth of BS you are.

I "raced" a new BMW 550i up an onramp. He easily passed me and the sad part is that I don't think he was even trying.

I raced my '98 LS against my friend's 540. The 540's fairly equivalent, though I did pull ahead slightly. This was in a straight line, and I think with some curves thrown into the mix, he would have easily taken the lead. (Not quite sure what year the 540 was, maybe a couple years newer than mine though?)

My grandparents have a 95 5-Series with the inline 6, and obviously has less power than the LS (although it weighs 400 lbs less), but I drove it and my LS back to back on a windy country road, and while the LS would walk away from the BMW on a straightaway, the BMW flew around the corners like nobody's business. I respect BMWs for their handling and stability, but at least for my grandparents' model, the interior seems a generation behind the Lexus. Theirs is a 95 but my 92 LS feels like it has a much more modern interior (plus it is more reliable!).... just my two cents. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want an older M3 as a second car though......

My grandparents have a 95 5-Series with the inline 6, and obviously has less power than the LS (although it weighs 400 lbs less), but I drove it and my LS back to back on a windy country road, and while the LS would walk away from the BMW on a straightaway, the BMW flew around the corners like nobody's business. I respect BMWs for their handling and stability, but at least for my grandparents' model, the interior seems a generation behind the Lexus. Theirs is a 95 but my 92 LS feels like it has a much more modern interior (plus it is more reliable!).... just my two cents. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want an older M3 as a second car though......

I've always felt that a BMW's strong point is its combination of handling and smooth ride. My mom has a '99 328i, and the interior is definitely nice, but I think Mercedes and Lexus have a leg up in that department. I've always liked Honda interiors as well. Maybe not so much in terms of luxury, but in terms of ergonomics and usability.

BMW interiors have never done much for me. The interior on the new 7 is pretty nice, but I still prefer the LS and the S550.

The quality of the BMW fitments has gotten better and better. The last 95-01 7 series had a stunning interior that was nicely finished. While I like the materials of the latest 7 the design and shape of the components just seems very awkward to me..to say nothing of that hideous I-drive. Trying too hard to be modern?

I felt the Mercedes interiors have been on a steady downward spiral since the mid 90's; and it's mostly just the materials choice. The '00-04 S-class felt like a Chrysler inside; way too much cheap looking plastic. Honestly the S550 is better but still not what you would except from a car that costs $100k; and still not on par with the LS (or my 20yr+ 240D!!!).

In handling though the BMWs are amazing..I freely admit that. The 3 and 5 in particular have an agility and catchabilty that I think make most people believe they are better drivers than they really are (hence the famous BMW bad driving jabs). Even the huge 7 feels like a GS or E class when you really push it. That's what those cars are about; more than just brute force straightline power. What good is the power if you can't use it all the time? Rock hard ride though (although the latest models less so).

Every Mercedes I've driven except maybe the latest C class feels like a old man's car. I haven't driven the S550 with ABC but the normal S felt huge and ponderous; like a (very fast) tank. The E feels very stable; just not that willing to play. The steering has gotten quicker and more accurate over the years; but it's still a little dead feeling.

I guess I like the LS because it nicely splits the difference. I feel like it's always going to go exactly where I point it; it just doesn't tempt me to be bad like the BMW. It seems.....friendlier.

I'm curious to drive the big Audi....

:cheers:

As for the S class, I have driven a 99 S320 a couple of times, and although it doesn't have that much power due to the massive weight, it has a great interior. The newer ones definitely seem to have a cheaper interior, and the famous Mercedes bank vault feeling has been diminished a lot. The BMW suspension- especially for having struts in the front- is brilliantly designed and tuned, and the car feels solid and very well constructed. But, little things are always going wrong (my grandparents 5-series constantly says the brake light circuit is bad and the coolant is low when all is in "ordnung") and the engine is noisy compared to the LS v8- makes me appreciate the smooth power of that motor......... having never driven an Audi I can't comment, but I have heard the reliability is pretty poor.....

everyone has just explained why there are different cars for different folks.....

and how/why manufacturers find market niches.

I'm a bimmerhead and love driving manual shift cars.

Wife was used to Cads, but now loves LS430 - good match for her style of driving...

I applaud Lexus for the job they've accomplished in past 16 years.

Straight line acceleration is only one of dozen ways to compare cars (price, handling, comfort. etc.)

However, a LS and Z4 are apples and oranges. A Supra and Z4 would be a fairer comparison.

In any case, it is nice to know you don't have to back off to a pesky, little sports car ;) ;)

everyone has just explained why there are different cars for different folks.....

and how/why manufacturers find market niches.

I'm a bimmerhead and love driving manual shift cars.

Wife was used to Cads, but now loves LS430 - good match for her style of driving...

I applaud Lexus for the job they've accomplished in past 16 years.

Straight line acceleration is only one of dozen ways to compare cars (price, handling, comfort. etc.)

However, a LS and Z4 are apples and oranges. A Supra and Z4 would be a fairer comparison.

In any case, it is nice to know you don't have to back off to a pesky, little sports car ;) ;)

HAHA Supra :lol:

You are opening up an entirely new can of worms here.

Supra will run circles around Z4 in every respect (acceleration, cornering, etc...) Well, except cost of ownership prerhaps :D

HAHA Supra :lol:

You are opening up an entirely new can of worms here.

Supra will run circles around Z4 in every respect (acceleration, cornering, etc...) Well, except cost of ownership prerhaps :D

Haha, this is a lexus forum, cost of ownership is nothing new...