99 Rx 300 Sound System Amplifier

BigDan

Can anyone tell me exactly where this amp is located? I did read under the rear seat, but exactly where and how can I get to it. Based on other posts of the same radio problems others have had, I want to replace the amp.

Help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

• 6 months later...

It never ceases to amaze me how hard it is to get what I consider basic information for repairs on this car. Several people have asked about the amplifier, yet there is no response. I'd love to know how to remove the radio in my 2001 RX, but apparently no one here has ever done that. One guy was nice enough to post instructions for a 2005 RX-330, but that is several years newer than my car. These things, for some reason, are not covered in the manuals I've seen for the car. That in and of itself makes no sense.

Sorry for the rant. I work in electronics and don't have nearly the problem geting service information on anything from a TV transmitter to a pocket radio, but you'd think that I'm trying to find out nuclear secrets here!

It never ceases to amaze me how hard it is to get what I consider basic information for repairs on this car. Several people have asked about the amplifier, yet there is no response. I'd love to know how to remove the radio in my 2001 RX, but apparently no one here has ever done that. One guy was nice enough to post instructions for a 2005 RX-330, but that is several years newer than my car. These things, for some reason, are not covered in the manuals I've seen for the car. That in and of itself makes no sense.

Sorry for the rant. I work in electronics and don't have nearly the problem geting service information on anything from a TV transmitter to a pocket radio, but you'd think that I'm trying to find out nuclear secrets here!

here is a thread that shows removal of trim to get to radio....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...X300&page=2

By the way be gentle when removing this strip. once it is done the rest is common sense, as the screws are quite visable.

• 2 months later...

here is a thread that shows removal of trim to get to radio....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...X300&page=2

By the way be gentle when removing this strip. once it is done the rest is common sense, as the screws are quite visable.

hello, the amp you are looking for if this is the rx300 is actually under the front passenger seat. the seat has 4 plastic caps over the parts that are bolted into the floor board. take a flat head screw driver and pop those off. using a socket wrench, remove the nuts. the seat will lift up but not too high. underneath there are two plugs that attach the seat to the controls that allow the seat to be programmed and heated. once you unplug those you can remove the seat very easy. that big black box is the cars amplifier and subwoofer. its bolted into the floor with 4 bolts.

as to the radio, a flat head will remove the trim and like the previous posting be gentle. it pops right off and you have to work it around the shifter. its not just the trim, its actually the lower portion that also wraps around the shifter, with the heat controls and lighter attachment. once that is removed, the screens and bolts holding the lcd and control panel will be exposed. this is all one unit, unbolt and unscrew all attacments and then that slides right out.

i do this so frequent once its mastered you can get it out in less than 10 minutes. the seat, well i'm only 5'2 and want to be careful so it takes about 15 to get the seat out. hope this helps...

kathy

• 2 months later...

2000 RX300 amplifier location and pinout

So, I tackled this the other day, let me post pictures first...the amplifier is located behind the rear seat and in front of the spare tire well. Access is by removing the carpeted trim behind the rear seat, then removing the cargo floor carpet/cover over the spare tire well, and lastly by removing a cross-car beam that is above the amplifier.

2pynll3.jpg

2usu0jl.jpg

2jeo3ko.jpg

2ji23p.jpg

I needed to get to this part to install a Motorola T605 handsfree system that would mute the radio when a call came in, and then route the handsfree audio to the front speakers of the RX.

• 6 months later...

I got a question. You show the wiring harness, is that the output of the amp to the speakers or the input? I'm trying to find the inputs so that can install an aftermart amp. I don't know if inputs are high level or low level but I can figure that out once I find them. Is that the only harness that connects to that unit?

2000 RX300 amplifier location and pinout

So, I tackled this the other day, let me post pictures first...the amplifier is located behind the rear seat and in front of the spare tire well. Access is by removing the carpeted trim behind the rear seat, then removing the cargo floor carpet/cover over the spare tire well, and lastly by removing a cross-car beam that is above the amplifier.

I needed to get to this part to install a Motorola T605 handsfree system that would mute the radio when a call came in, and then route the handsfree audio to the front speakers of the RX.

This is great info. It appears the wiring info you provided is all outputs and power (am I wrong?) and there are also input cables not shown. I'm asking because I'd like to find the outputs from the head unit to add an aux input.

Thanks for posting this.

• 4 weeks later...

These are all outputs from the amplifier. The handsfree harness I wired into the amplifier at this point switches out the speakers (for a Mute) and routes the handsfree audio to the front speakers. The harness needed to connect right at the speaker connections, but after the system amplification (sometimes this is at the radio, sometimes this is at the extra amplifier in the car).

• 10 years later...