Rain Causes Wet Passenger's Side Carpet

Thi

There was a moderate amount of rain around here today. I noticed that a little section above the passenger side along the door trim and pillar were wet. The carpet on the passenger side was wet also. Does anyone experience the same problem? What do you do to fix it? Thanks.

Thi

all you really can do is try and trace it down

in most large cities they have small companies that specialize in auto leaks

but they charge by the hour and it can someimes take quite a few to find all the leaks and ureathane it back to gether after removing all the interior parts also

There has been a lot of rain last couple days; it looks like the leak starts somewhere around the front of the sunroof. I did not know that they have shops specialize in leak dectection. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Thi

if it starts by the roof it might be just that

is tehre any extra gaps around the weather stripping?

also it might be the sunroof drain has come undone

it runs from the sun roof all the way to the bottom of the car along the front pillar

Rain, and rain,....and more rain around here lately. Yesterday while it was raining, I went in the car and looked at the sunroof. I was able to see water sipping in at the corner of the right side. When the rain stopped, I inspected the car and found a Q-tip that someone had used to lubricate the rail before. It was blocking the drain hole on the right hand side. I found 2 holes (left and right sides) that I believe to be drain holes. I got some flexible metal wire in order to clear the drain holes. I was able to get the wire down pretty far but not all the way down to the bottom of the car where I can see the end of it. I did not see any plastic tubing inside the drain hole. Should there be any tubing inside it?

I inspedted the carpet this morning. It was wet but seems a little better than before.

If you have tried to clear the drain hole, can you see the end of the wire? I saw a section on sliding roof in the shop manual, but the did not mention about the drain holes. I would like to see where the end of the drain holes so I clear it all the way. If you know a section in shop manual, please let me know. Thanks.

There's a black piece of weather seal on the front of the sliding roof itself. It looks like a U shape and has another flat piece inside the concave of the U channel. The flat piece does not run all the way across so I'm kind of puzzle about that.

Thanks for all inputs and any additional information.

Thi

The sun roof drain holes get clogged from time to time. Depending on where the clog is, it might be easier to remove the drain plugs to allow the water to drain out. If you look along the rocker panels -- under the running boards, you should be able to see a plug. Remove it and the water will drain out.

Some times, if you have enough water in there, you can hear it sloshing around.

Doug

I'll look for the plug. Thanks.

So far, I cleaned the drain hose using a flexible wire, caulked the plastic trim around the sunroof, checked/repositioned the retaining pins for the wind deflector. Now, when I pour some water in the drain hole, I see some coming the bottom of the running board. I like to see exactly where is the drain plug though.

Thi

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Bonknhead, I did a few things as I described in my previous post. There's no rain around here lately so I cannot know for sure. I will post a result after the next rain shower. I washed the car last week and did not see any water around the front pillar; that's a good thing. I poured a little water into the drain holes which is located at the corners of the sunroof. I saw water drained at the bottom of the running board. You can try the same thing. If it's the problem with sunroof/drain holes, it's a good change that you see the fabric of the front pillar getting wet. If not, it's maybe a problem related to windshield, or door trim as posted by other members. Let us know what you find.

Thi

Sunroof roof seals are not designed to completely stop water/rain. Unless your vehicle was in an accident that would have shifted the roof alignment, I really never heard of a sunroof seal being replaced. It is usually 95% clogged drains that get the interior and headliner wet.

There should be four drain holes, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I live in Wisconsin and on my sun roof, and moon roof vehicles; they all get a yearly drain hole cleaning. I have a 24 inch piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing that I secure to the end of my garden hose with a brass hose fitting and compression a fitting. Sounds like work but once it’s made you can use it forever. It is small enough to fit in the drain hole and long enough to reach the back holes (sunroof completely open). I run the water slowly until it comes out of the drains. It is a good idea to clean and lube the track at that time.

;)

I will look again for the rear drain holes. When the sunroof is all the way back, it's sandwiched betwen the metal roof and headliner. Is there any special trick or procedure to clean the real drain holes for the LX 450?

Thi

The rears are hard to see on any vehicle. Try it in a dark garage with a flashlight. If the rear drains are not flowing properly your front drains will not keep up with the flow and water will end up taking a different course (headliner or floor) of direction.

dakrri

:)

The rears are hard to see on any vehicle. Try it in a dark garage with a flashlight. If the rear drains are not flowing properly your front drains will not keep up with the flow and water will end up taking a different course (headliner or floor) of direction.

dakrri