Engine Failure At 148k...lexus Says Sorry, But It's Normal.

Your problem was the product line you purchased. I wouldn't want a Dakota, either. I've owned various pick-ups for almost 20 years, and here's my advice if you want a dependable truck that is as trouble-free as possible - go with only the full-sized models. Makes no difference whether it is Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150, Dodge Ram, or GMC Sierra. Just stay with the full-sized units. They serve the nation's workforce from corporate all the way down to mom-and-pop and they must deliver the goods each and every day. The Big Three derive significant revenue from and build their reputations on trucks in the workforce, so for decades the full-sized models have received most of the R&D, engineering, manufacturing, and heavy-duty component budgets compared to their smaller-sized brethren such as the S-10, Ranger, or Dakota. In fact, I consider the smaller trucks to be somewhat of an afterthought. They are not engineered nearly as well as the full-sized trucks and they certainly aren't built with equal component quality.

Yes, you'll sacrifice gas mileage by going full-sized and some folks aren't comfortable when parking them. But if you need a truck and you want quality, durability, and the best cost-of-ownership experience while owning one, full-sized is the only way to go. The vast majority of guys who've owned both full-sized trucks and compact trucks over a number of years will echo that sentiment right on down the line....

I can see thats true in the vast qualntities of older full-sized trucks still out there, but in an urban and semi-urban environment space is at a premium and full-sizers simply take too much of it. If I lived "out in the country" as we like to say I'd love to have a Silverado or and F150, they seem to have brought the PU truck back into style and the look like nice rides, seen some nice Rams too but I don't know if I could do that. Its unfortunate that the big 3 will sour so many buyers with poor quality smaller trucks. Its certainly hard to imagine anyone that has a bad experience with a smaller unit wanting to buy more form that mfg. It just doesnt follow logically. Before the Dak I had a small Nissan truck and that thing was bulletproof, bought it new off the lot, so bare bones it didnt even have a radio. I got 186,000 out of it before I sold it to a friend who put another 65,000 before he sold it, who knows after that. Point is thats the kind of quality that builds brand loyalty, I wanted desperately to get another Nissan at that stage but it was back in the days when you couldnt even get a V6 in a Japanese 4x4 pick-up.

Here I am again........look....... you right about Lexus people not being gear heads.....but this site is loaded with owners who bought those leased RX's after they have be turned in and are not happy. Listen, the true test of any car is reliablity over the life of the car. Lexus knows this and the whole auto world knows that. Anybody can buy a new car and tell the world how great it is, but how about when its used after 5-10 years.

Lexus is a good product, (over priced) and a money maker for Toyota exspecially the RX on a Camry frame. But I have reservations about the new RX going the distance like 200k without major problems. That is not asking alot toady in the auto world.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Seaduck79's post.

What, if you were to look on a Honda or Dodge forum you wouldn't come up with someone who's engine went out after 148k miles and the company didn't bail them out?

They aren't perfect, but IMO they're the best. You're entitled to like Honda's (or any other brand) better if you want. I dont care.

I was talking more about the company itself though. But I think for the most part, they produce very good cars. 148k miles is something to brag about if you ask me.