Fair Deal?

mejaz

Greetings! This weekend I bought a 2002 LS430 (Crystal White) from the local Lexus dealer. It is clean but has a large scuff and a small tear in rear seat cushion. I think its base with no additional options (has front/rear heated seats and auto wipers if these would be options). The car has 94.5K miles on it, i paid $21K out the door. Just wondering if i got a fair deal or should this be lesson learned for next time around. Thanks for your feedback.

was the 90k service done? Including the new timing belt and waterpump?

i think you got a pretty fair deal if it was 21k OTD. Especialy considering its a dealer car. Take a pic of the scuff. I bet with a little wet sand paper and rubbing compound you can erase it! Its very easy and takes 10-30 minutes max!

well that's about $1,700 saved, so really if you look at it in those terms, you really only paid about $18.3 for it, which is pretty good. Lexus dealership's are always on the top end of full retail. But the fact that you bought it there, they did the servicing there, you can feel better about the top retail pricing due to the fact that if the car is a lemon, you have the simple fact that you bought a used lexus from a certified lexus dealership, who just so happened to be the one servicing the car. Lexus dealerships will typically stand behind their used lexus inventory far better than most, I'm a living testimont to that. You have a good service department behind you, plus their desire to retain you as a car buyer down the road. It's a whole different story if you buy a used lexus off of some used car lot somewhere else, it becomes a problem, and you complain to the lexus dealership. They'll say "what do you want us to do about it? We didn't sell it, we didn't inspect it, a car is a car". And, Lexus Corporate won't be as much help under that scenario either. They're much more prone to help a lexus dealership's reputation, than just a used lexus car owner from somewhere else....

so, i'd rest easy man, i think you got a pretty good deal. Probably paid a little more than normal, but you're gaining the dealership's backing, and that wopper 90k service. Good choice :cheers:

Thank you all! Makes me feel much better. I am/was very satisfied with my decision; I needed this feedback to to show my brother who thinks spending $21K on a car with 95K miles is absurd that i made the right decision :)

I just bought a 01 base, with heated fr & rear seats, 100K, BBS 17" wheels, for 19K.

But add in 1,500+ tax and transfer fees...

midnight pine (dark green) exterior and interior almost perfect.

every service done at Lexus; 90K TB & WP replaced.

trunk struts hold only when fully extended ;) ;)

looking forward to another 100K with minimal problems...

Thank you all! Makes me feel much better. I am/was very satisfied with my decision; I needed this feedback to to show my brother who thinks spending $21K on a car with 95K miles is absurd that i made the right decision :)

My girlfriend's father recently spent twice that much on a 2001 Mercedes S55 AMG sedan with about that many miles. Don't feel bad.

40k on a 6 year old s-class? I hope that thing has a 200k warranty!

Its an AMG and an S-class AMG - those things got tons of torque and hp and their engines are hand-built. I got beaten by an AMG C-class in my 2006 Mustang GT so they are freaking fast and very exclusive.

Can you guys clear my head as well?

I got a 03 LS430 ultra -- black w/ white interior, 40K miles for $39,000 they said the 45k work was done and it's a CPO.

I'm doing a tranny flush $200 in the morning and think I'll do the timing belt for $450

Carmine

If you got all the options like NAV, Mark Levinson, Nappa Leather then you got a good deal. Still an OK deal without those options.