02 Is Dvd Navigation - Read Error

gannon

I've had my IS for roughly 5 years now and this is the first major problem I have had. Unfortunately it is one problem that just kind of gets under your skin. Out of the blue I've been getting the "Can't read DVD, Check disk" error. It was only happening every so often at first but now has basically rendered my Nav inoperable.

Actions Taken So Far:

1) Pull out the DVD and check for scratches - Disk was flawless

2) Took the car to the Dealership - Quoted me @ $1900 for a new Nav ECU

- They said all they did was throw in a different disk and it still didn't work

I've been trying to find as much discussion as possible and the only other idea I have found so far is to try and do the battery ECU reset. (praying this works)

At this point I'm expecting the reset not to work so I have a couple of questions for anybody to answer...

Q: Is there anything else I haven't tried that could possible solve this dilemma?

Q: Can you buy the replacement Nav ECUs anywhere else for a more reasonable price?

Q: How hard would it be to replace the ECU myself?

Q: It seems that I would be better served (if none of the previous options work) to switch to an aftermarket Nav rather than paying $1900 to have the stock one fixed.

Q: If the previous is true what options do I have with my old system? e.g. it seems parts are still valuable.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn more, but I'll leave it at this for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Matt

Okay, to be honest, this is one of those times I wish I knew it all. But unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with Nav. systems. Even so, I think I can maybe offer some advice for consideration anyway.

I would try to go about this from the cheapest fixes first. Have you tried cleaning the disc bay? Maybe blast some air in there? I of course mean computer cleaning air and do it gently. Next I would take it to a good auto audio shop and see what they have to say about it. Seems to me that the certified mechanics at the dealership know the cars, I doubt they can open the stereo system and fix an off track laser, or replace a D/A converter.

I'm sure you can find the parts someplace else. But if our asking if it's hard to replace yourself, you could probably do it yourself, but no it's not easy. You'll need to study first.

And finally, if you find that the unit is bad and you need a whole new one, then yeah, aftermarket is the way to go. Especially now with all the touch screen DIN units out and the higher resolution screens. Not to mention the much improved user interface programs they have now. If you go this way, let me know, I'll give you the info on several units. You can figure that the unit will cost about a grand, and to have it installed about 150-200 bucks. So for around 1200.00 you can have a wwwwaaaaayyyyyy better nav unit with ipod direct connect, Sirrus, XFM, HD radio, rear view camera, DVD player, and more all in one unit. ( no more joy stick thingy.)

Well, I hope this helps. If not, atleast I tried huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the support Smooth.

Kind of wanted to give an update in case anybody else come across this problem. I wanted to keep the stock Nav so I was looking into replacements... however today just for kicks I decided to turn my Nav back on and it had reset itself. So after the dealing saying I was screwed and asking for $1900 and looking at replacements at around $400, I now have my old Nav working just as good as it did before.

I wish I knew what happened to reset it, but I haven't even opened the screen for about a week because seeing the error message was *BLEEP*ing me off so much. If anybody wants to theorize go for it, but I've tried to get it to error out again with no luck; I can do everything just fine.

At this point, I'm just happy I have a working Nav back.

Yeah, Like I said, what does the dealer service tech know about electronics? If it was broken , then what it fixed itself? I don't think so. So I figure if it happens again, I would take it to, and I say this as an example only, but like a Best Buy or a Sound Advise, and have them clean and adjust the CD transport bay, and I would bet that would fix the problem for good.

• 2 years later...
I've had my IS for roughly 5 years now and this is the first major problem I have had. Unfortunately it is one problem that just kind of gets under your skin. Out of the blue I've been getting the "Can't read DVD, Check disk" error. It was only happening every so often at first but now has basically rendered my Nav inoperable.

Actions Taken So Far:

1) Pull out the DVD and check for scratches - Disk was flawless

2) Took the car to the Dealership - Quoted me @ $1900 for a new Nav ECU

- They said all they did was throw in a different disk and it still didn't work

I've been trying to find as much discussion as possible and the only other idea I have found so far is to try and do the battery ECU reset. (praying this works)

At this point I'm expecting the reset not to work so I have a couple of questions for anybody to answer...

Q: Is there anything else I haven't tried that could possible solve this dilemma?

Q: Can you buy the replacement Nav ECUs anywhere else for a more reasonable price?

Q: How hard would it be to replace the ECU myself?

Q: It seems that I would be better served (if none of the previous options work) to switch to an aftermarket Nav rather than paying $1900 to have the stock one fixed.

Q: If the previous is true what options do I have with my old system? e.g. it seems parts are still valuable.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn more, but I'll leave it at this for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Matt

Im having the exact same problem with my 2002 IS300 lexus

Rob

Kind of wanted to give an update in case anybody else come across this problem. I wanted to keep the stock Nav so I was looking into replacements... however today just for kicks I decided to turn my Nav back on and it had reset itself. So after the dealing saying I was screwed and asking for $1900 and looking at replacements at around $400, I now have my old Nav working just as good as it did before.

I wish I knew what happened to reset it, but I haven't even opened the screen for about a week because seeing the error message was *BLEEP*ing me off so much. If anybody wants to theorize go for it, but I've tried to get it to error out again with no luck; I can do everything just fine.

Gannon, I reset my nav, and it ended up going down again after 1 day.

Dont know what to do, dont want to spend 1900 to fix it

Rob

• 1 month later...

Gannon, I reset my nav, and it ended up going down again after 1 day.

Dont know what to do, dont want to spend 1900 to fix it

Rob

Folks, does anyone out there have a Lexus connection to a service professional who can comment on Nav and DVD issues...I have an 02 LS430 that wont read the disc...got the service menu up, so I know that the nav system works...appears to be the DVD reader...Lexus dealership says 1000 for the drive (not the whole box!!!!) I know that there has to be a better answer than that - 100 bucks, I believe...I can take pix, as I've had the nav box out and apart, and have looked at the DVD disc (can read the file system on a PC), but the nav DVD drive itself seems to be defective...anyone out there with ideas - advice. I have an iphone that gives me great nav, but want to get the internal Lexus nav system working...thanks

• 4 months later...

Gannon and lFty, I also have this issue with my 2002 IS 300!! I tried to reset as well, but I'm still getting that message! SIGH*** I would like to keep the "stock" NAV System, but the dealer price is outrageous!! HELP!!!