Anyone know if theres an input for an ipod on the 350

No, Lexus dropped the ball on this one. try http://www.vaistech.com/

Has anyone fitted one on a 2008 RX350? Unfortunately it doesn't come with exact instructions for getting access to the head unit. Instead points to http://techinfo.toyota.com - anyone know the docs needed?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone fitted one on a 2008 RX350? Unfortunately it doesn't come with exact instructions for getting access to the head unit. Instead points to http://techinfo.toyota.com - anyone know the docs needed?

Thanks!

No, I don't think Lexus dropped the ball. They took it to the next step on the 2008 models with the CD player being able to play MP3s. I can load all the music from my 4 gb Ipod on one MP3 disk.

• 2 weeks later...
No, I don't think Lexus dropped the ball. They took it to the next step on the 2008 models with the CD player being able to play MP3s. I can load all the music from my 4 gb Ipod on one MP3 disk.

Well, sort of... I can tell you my iPod changes a lot and I would hate to have to generate a new MP3 disc each time :-)

Regardless, it is nice to have WMA and MP3 CD support. Now, it would be SO EASY to have a nice mini stere jack on the dash... is that so hard?

Hey I think all cars should be equiped with a hard wired ipod hard dock station... It would sure be nice to completely eliminate the bulky CD changers and CD's altogether.... Ipod's rock!!! :rolleyes:

The Ipod AM/FM and Tape transmitters are suspect.....Belkin transmitters are probably the best choice for a last resort Ipod hookup...

• 2 months later...

No, Lefxus dropped the ball on this one. try http://www.vaistech.com/

Thanks!

The 2007 model also plays MP3's. :D

• 6 months later...

Thanks!

I'd like to load 4GB of music on one MP3 disk. Is that different than a normal CD-RW disk?

I can tell you right now, unless you're married to your iPod, you can fit quite a few songs on 6 CD-RWs. Plus I'd rather be able to use the steering wheel controls for the car's cd player rather than fiddle around with the iPod while driving.

I use CD-RWs because I change my playlist at least once a week. It's quick! Trust me.

PS - I've learned that the CD-RW will skip in the Lexus player sometimes if you burn it "track at once". I burn all my MP3s for the car using the "disc at once" method. No skips this way. I don't know what the reason is but it seems to work.

I can tell you right now, unless you're married to your iPod, you can fit quite a few songs on 6 CD-RWs. Plus I'd rather be able to use the steering wheel controls for the car's cd player rather than fiddle around with the iPod while driving.

I use CD-RWs because I change my playlist at least once a week. It's quick! Trust me.

PS - I've learned that the CD-RW will skip in the Lexus player sometimes if you burn it "track at once". I burn all my MP3s for the car using the "disc at once" method. No skips this way. I don't know what the reason is but it seems to work.

At 128 kbps, (kilobits or bytes per second) you can get about 10 cd's worth of music on one mp3 disk. I save my music on my iPod at WAV resolution. Space is cheap these days, and once you have compressed your music, you can't get back what was removed during compression. Many people claim that they can detect inferior sound at 128 kbps. Perhaps a compromise would be to save your cd's at 192 kbps. This would give you roughly 8-9 cd's per mp3 disk. In order to burn mp3's from iTunes, your music can't be downloaded into iTunes in WAV format. (WAV format is the native cd format) Music has to be converted to mp3 when it is put into iTunes. This means, if one wants to use iTunes to burn mp3 cd's, that one has to either install a WAV to mp3 converter on their computer, or re-load disks into iTunes as mp3's. It would be much easier to have an iPod input in the car. It is possible in the somewhat foreseeable future that another format will replace mp3, and your mp3 capable player could share some characteristics of the 8 track player.

I installed the factory Ipod interface and it works great. The whole job was about 1.5 hrs. The hardest part was to remove and drill the hole in the glove box. I think an easier way would be to just route the cable over the top of the glove box and not have to drill a hole or remove the glove box. This would save half of the install time.

I installed the factory Ipod interface and it works great. The whole job was about 1.5 hrs. The hardest part was to remove and drill the hole in the glove box. I think an easier way would be to just route the cable over the top of the glove box and not have to drill a hole or remove the glove box. This would save half of the install time.

Do you also have a Lexus satellite radio tuner hooked into your Lexus head unit. I was told you cant have both SAT radio and the ipod adapter at the same time.

You were told correct. With the Lexus set up it is one or the other. The unit uses the Sat mode on the radio. I have XM Sat in my other cars and prefer the Ipod as I can control what I listen too. There are other after market units that can provide both and the install must be the same.

You were told correct. With the Lexus set up it is one or the other. The unit uses the Sat mode on the radio. I have XM Sat in my other cars and prefer the Ipod as I can control what I listen too. There are other after market units that can provide both and the install must be the same.

I installed the Lexus iPod adapter about a month ago on a 2007 RX 350 and it works great - I especially like the steering wheel controls and Nav system interface. It is true that you can have satellite or iPod but not both with the Lexus adapter, but since I don't use satellite radio it wasn't much of a sacrifice to go with the adapter.

For more information on the iPod adapter, see http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/accessories...t_for_iPod.html

I installed the Lexus iPod adapter about a month ago on a 2007 RX 350 and it works great - I especially like the steering wheel controls and Nav system interface. It is true that you can have satellite or iPod but not both with the Lexus adapter, but since I don't use satellite radio it wasn't much of a sacrifice to go with the adapter.

For more information on the iPod adapter, see http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/accessories...t_for_iPod.html

"No image available..." Go figure. My first post here. Hello to all.

Does the Lexus interface include a second aux input as does the Vaistech SLI? Is the Lexus interface actually a rebranded Vaistech?

The DICE is another iPod solution http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm

It costs around $150 and connecting it is a piece of cake, no drilling... just connecting to either the SAT radio input or the external CD changer input (not to be confused with the build in cd change) gives either the info on the touch screen if you have the sat nav, or the smaller display. I did it myself in 20 minutes.

Sound quality is perfect.

You can connect also other mp3 player or other sound players to the DICE as it also has an aux input.

• 10 months later...

I installed an adapter made by Peripheral Electronics, Model PXAMG, see http://peripheralelectronics.com/

It retails for $169.95, but can be had for much less. I was lucky enough to find one on closeout at Circuit City for $89.95. Crutchfield has them and also check Amazon. Had to buy an updated cable for another $30 from Crutchfield due to the fact that Apple changed the interface connector related to charging. See

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541PODCBL5/Pe...able&tp=122

I must say it works great and allows me full control of the Playlists, etc. that are on my IPod, from either the radio and/or steering wheel controls. I do not have a Nav system. Sound quality is terrific.....every bit as good, possibly better, than CDs. This unit also has an AUX input that allows another accessory such as an XM and/or Sirius unit to be played through the head unit as well.

I did the install myself and found it to be very straightforward. I mounted the unit (approx 4" x 3") in an area directly behind the radio using velcro. Connecting cables for IPod and AUX were just fed over side/back of glovebox. I connect the IPod there and leave it in the glove box since it can be controlled via the radio controls.

WARNING: For all of you DIYers like myself. The head unit is secured with 4 10mm bolts. The two bottom ones are easily visible and can be removed without difficulty. The upper bolts are recessed and hard to see. You will need to position your head on the seat to get a look at them. IMPORTANT: Get a magnetic insert that will fit in your 10mm socket. Otherwise, you will lose the bolts in the console and you will likely not be able to retrieve them. Worse yet, if you are not careful in withdrawing you socket when removing the recessed upper bolts, it is easy to snag the edge of the socket on an overhanging edge of the radio faceplate, and it too will drop into the console, not able to be retrieved ! So proceed carefully.

I was able to purchase a set of socket magnet inserts at Sears, but ended up cutting away the plastic insert surround to allow better contact between the magnet and the bolt.

Hope this helps and good luck to all who attempt the install. Believe me, the hardest part is getting up enough confidence to remove the holding bolts for the head unit ! Just proceed carefully.

• 2 months later...
I installed an adapter made by Peripheral Electronics, Model PXAMG, see http://peripheralelectronics.com/

It retails for $169.95, but can be had for much less. I was lucky enough to find one on closeout at Circuit City for $89.95. Crutchfield has them and also check Amazon. Had to buy an updated cable for another $30 from Crutchfield due to the fact that Apple changed the interface connector related to charging. See

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541PODCBL5/Pe...able&tp=122

I must say it works great and allows me full control of the Playlists, etc. that are on my IPod, from either the radio and/or steering wheel controls. I do not have a Nav system. Sound quality is terrific.....every bit as good, possibly better, than CDs. This unit also has an AUX input that allows another accessory such as an XM and/or Sirius unit to be played through the head unit as well.

I did the install myself and found it to be very straightforward. I mounted the unit (approx 4" x 3") in an area directly behind the radio using velcro. Connecting cables for IPod and AUX were just fed over side/back of glovebox. I connect the IPod there and leave it in the glove box since it can be controlled via the radio controls.

WARNING: For all of you DIYers like myself. The head unit is secured with 4 10mm bolts. The two bottom ones are easily visible and can be removed without difficulty. The upper bolts are recessed and hard to see. You will need to position your head on the seat to get a look at them. IMPORTANT: Get a magnetic insert that will fit in your 10mm socket. Otherwise, you will lose the bolts in the console and you will likely not be able to retrieve them. Worse yet, if you are not careful in withdrawing you socket when removing the recessed upper bolts, it is easy to snag the edge of the socket on an overhanging edge of the radio faceplate, and it too will drop into the console, not able to be retrieved ! So proceed carefully.

I was able to purchase a set of socket magnet inserts at Sears, but ended up cutting away the plastic insert surround to allow better contact between the magnet and the bolt.

Hope this helps and good luck to all who attempt the install. Believe me, the hardest part is getting up enough confidence to remove the holding bolts for the head unit ! Just proceed carefully.

I just had the PXAMG unit installed on my Wife's 07 RX350 today by Best Buy. I can use the touch screen and steering wheel buttons to control some capabilities of the iPod, but relatively few. I can go from track to track, rewind and fast forward (although I haven't figured out how to stop these functions once you activate them), volume and that's about it. Tried everything and I can't figure out how to pause, play, stop, random play (Random button is there, but it doesn't appear to do anything), or use playlists.

You mentioned you don't have a nav. I do. Is that making the difference for me or is maybe the installation is faulty? Or I'm not figuring this thing out correctly? I discovered that for the things she can't do, my wife can use the iPod controls cuz they still function while it is being used with the PXAMG, but that's not ideal and not safe either while driving. Any clues anybody? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

If using vaistech on an 05-09 RX you can add both ipod & xm or sirius. The ipod will work off of the disc button & the sat will work off of the AM button. The ipod install in that car literally takes 10 minutes & the xm 30 minutes. The radio is very easy to remove and there is no splicing or wire cuttin involved.

On the newer cars that have the available port installed lexus ipod you cannot add sat because the port installed ipod uses the sat function. It however can be easily removed to install both vais units.