I'm Gonna Take The Xm Plunge

SW03ES

Okay guys, I'm gonna do it I think, have XM installed in my car.

I'm going to do the Pioneer display pad and system with either an FM modulator or the tape adapter. I saw a slick install using the tape adapter once and the sound is supposed to be better.

I emailed a few installers in the area to see what I'm up against. Supposedly $200 for the Pioneer system and antenna, and I'm hoping the install will be similar at $200 but I honestly have no idea what I'm up against in that department. So in short, I want to get it done for around $400 out the door, but I refuse to pay for a cheap install, I'd rather not do it if I'm not going to do it right.

Now, as I look at the car I'm thinking that I have a couple of ways to do it. A lot of people have it installed in the ashtray, which would be good, but I dont know how well it will work on the ES because of its curved ashtray door. The other models have a flat door.

Then I saw this:

P1300150.JPG

This looks awesome. Its on a Toyota Highlander, but there's a similarly perfect spot on the ES...

Thats some CB or something in front, the XM panel is the one on top of the console, thats the one I'll be using.

Whats everyone think?

Haven't heard back from anybody yet, but its the Friday before Labor Day, I'll give them until Tuesday.

As for hard to reach and distracting, beggers can't be choosers when it comes to where to mount stuff like this. I dont want it stuck on the dash like a tumor.

Plus, you might be able to get a remote w/ the XM head unit, eliminating the need to look up and fumble w/ controls while you drive.

Plus the idea behind XM, is that you won't have to change the channel a lot. Find the kind of music you like and leave it...no commercials or annoying people talking.

Isn't the depth of the Pioneer unit too deep to put it there? The picture is an installation on an RX which I think affords more room than the ES. Just a thought???

The depth is not even an inch, maybe 3/4 of an inch, I think it should fit if it fits in that Highlander.

The more I think about it the more I think that spot is perfect.

Yeah I'm definately going to let a pro do it.

My concern about that is the side curtain airbags that run up over the door and down the A pillars, I'm afraid the installers wont be able to get the line down to the rest of the vehicle. I mean, there are electronics up there so it must be possible...

I'll have to see what they say.

Ohhh.....I thought that was a picture of an RX300. :blink:

Yeah, definitely take it to a pro! I wouldn't want an inexperienced guy to screw around with the wiring on my car. ;)

Hey! i have XM in my 97, but i have an old XM SONY unit, its the one that ur suppose to stick on the dashboard somewhere, WELL i didn't like that idea so i put it in my Box in the center, i haven't really hard wired it, BUT ill post pics tomorrow to show you what i did! ALSO, instead of putting the antenna on the TOP of my car (i also have the older shark-fin antenna) i put it in the rear window next to the Subwoffer and i still get GREAT reception! so, maybe you can do that too, so you don't have to spoil the GOOD LOOKS of the ES!

Ill also try to take pics of my Dads unit he has in his car! (99 4-Runner) he has that small Pioneer unit in that Picture, i don't know why there is that OTHER big thingy in the gradge door opener part, cause its not needed! that little pioneer thing and a box reciever under your seat is all it needs. Also, he has an RF modulator so he just preset the station on his radio, and the XM uses that. Sure its not "Pure digital" but it still sounds great! Best Buy did a GREAT job with his, as you'll see! Goodnight!

Ill try to post them right after work! 3pm Pacific :)

~Brian~

Yeah, I'm not going to skimp on the install LOL. I'm not going to do it, but actually depending on the Best Buy or Circuit City I've seen some awesome installs from them for $50 though. With my luck I'd get "Zed the somewhat slow ex schoolbus driver" to do mine so I'm going to stick with the high end stereo install guys LOL.

Prozac, I think thats a police scanner or a CB or something in that Highlander, I dont think its related to the XM.

ok guys. sorry it took longer than i thought, but here's the Pics!

First is my 97' lexus. i have the Portable Sony reciever its bulky because the amp is built in, unlike the pioneer unit which needs a separate amp, or something like that :D

DSC00114.jpg

and the antenna in the back by the Subwoofer. Yes i Washed my car less than a week ago :P lots of dirt here!

DSC00115.jpg

Ok, and here is my Dad's '99 4-Runner with the small Pioneer Unit

DSC00109.jpg

And a close-up!

DSC00110.jpg

This is how Best buy attached it

DSC00111.jpg

This is the amp under the driver's seat

DSC00112.jpg

And this is the antenna!

DSC00113.jpg

Im Sorry if you have Dial-up, sooo many pictures.

Best Buy did a great job i believe. Also, im not TOO sure, but i think that the RF modulater is built into the amp for my dad's unit, but i am probably wrong.

For my setup, i just use the Tape adapter to listen to it (A crummy way to go in my oppinion) and I use the a/c jack in the center consul to power my unit, while my dad's unit is hardwired.

GOOD LUCK SW03ES!

~Brian~

Not bad. Thats the type of install I'd expect from Best Buy, good but not overly custom. I want a clean custom install like nobody'd ever know it was not there from the factory.

see your like me.i like a custom install also that looks like it came with the car and i dont think best buy will do that kind of work!

i say go to the high end place like you want to do and at least you shouldnt have any worrys if its a good place.

see your like me.i like a custom install also that looks like it came with the car and i dont think best buy will do that kind of work!

They can, I've seen some pics of Best Buy installs that are perfect and flawless, custom. Its just a crapshoot as to whether or not my particular best buy or Circuit City are competent.

Allright I'm finally back !

Yea.... Best Buy and places like that really dont do any custom work ... but the installer's there are usually really experienced, and will pretty much do anything for you if you talk to them....

Whats the difference between the sirrus and XM ?

Sirrus is just another brand of sattelite Radio. I guess you can say its like Timewarner Cable and AT&T Cable, just two different companies. However, XM and Sirrus have their own stations, which im sure are alike in styles

Its closer to PCs and Macs, XM is the PC, much more widespread and popular, more information and stations. Sirius is the Mac, more user friendly, more expensive, no commercials.

I suppose Sirius is actually better but I dont trust their longevity. XM's stock price is like $16, Sirius is like $1.50.