Vibrations

blake918

In my '94, I am experienceing some vibrations while idling and when I am at a stop light...all of this is mainly at the 600-1500 rpm range. I tried it with the a/c off and the vibrations were probably 25% less. My tranny is also acting kind of funny...some rough shifts sometimes and other times they're seamless. I just had my injectors flushed at Toyota was well as a tranny and engine flush; I had all of these problems before they worked on my car, and I did all of this in hopes of curing it, but to my dismay I had no such luck :angry: . After searching through some previous posts, I found a couple of things: 1) Dogbone(?) and other motor mounts and 2) a loose timing belt...I dunno when my timing belt was last changed(I currently have 108k). Also how hard is it to change the motor mount...is this a diy or dealer thing? Do either of those things effect the way the tranny shifts? Help!!! I can't take these vibrations anymore :(

dewd, let me just say, you have my sympathies. i would give my left pinky toe to get rid of that darn vibration in my car.

like yours, my vibration goes down just a wee bit when i turn off the a/c.

i took mine to an import mechanic and he says there is absolutely nothing wrong. it's just the engine. so i am getting ready to shell out some more dough at the local lexus dealer. but frankly, i think they are also going to take my money and say there's nothing wrong too.

maybe we should both take steve's approach (to the bad tranny in '03) and hum a tune to the darn vibration or something.

i can say one thing though, the dog bone should be pretty easy to change. even i was able to fumble my way and find it somehow. it's actually in plain sight, but to me, all the parts under the hood sort of looked the same in the beginning.

oh, and i can say another thing. i think the import mechanic mentioned something about needing a new timing belt at 125K miles or something. so maybe that really would help. but if i were a betting person, i wouldn't.

good luck -- i really mean it.

Well, the vibrations aren't something the car is designed to do. I'd keep on them till they find what it is. The tranny issue is the way the tranny is designed, its just designed wrong for some drivers. Not much can be done there...

most dealers will have a service person drive with you and tell you for free if it is a vibration problem that has to be worried about

i know i have had a few techs go for a drive with no paper work

but maybe that is just a toronto thing

the dog bone is to the right side of the engine

it looks like it sounds ,black and has rubber inserts

they all break alot

get used to it, i now custom make mine with ureathane to relive the pain in the !Removed! problem from reoccuring every 2 years

all problems mentioned are usually related to engine mounts

basically the mount has a rubber circle or doughnut and then a metal hollow pin inside it

now it is only connected by 2 thin pieces of rubber that break easily

a basic design error to make the car seem so "vibrationless"

take a look real easy to fin and only 2 bots to undo to change

a mechanic should not charge more than $25 to change the upper one and about 45 for the parts

dewd, let me just say, you have my sympathies.  i would give my left pinky toe to get rid of that darn vibration in my car. 

I second that motion :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the advice everyone :D ...isn't this place the greatest? Anyhow, I was leaning toward the motor mount too. Do I have to buy this at Lex or Toyota or will an auto part store have a similar quality one for cheaper? Amanda have you gotten yours fixed yet?

thenewanomaly(...man u need to give us a name or something shorter to type :lol: ...I'm just being facetious again), would u happen to know any aftermarket websites or anything like that?

hello. i haven't gotten the vibration fixed yet, but now i have another to add to my woes. more on that on another post.

i was thinking about going to a toyota dealer instead of a lexus dealer, but now that i've got this other vibration, i am wondering if i should just stick to lexus for EVERYTHING. this car is starting to give me a headache.

hey.. I am haveing the same truoble now...It didnt do it Till I had the car serviced about a month ago for 1800+ at a lexus dealership.I have not had time to take the vehicle back .. I will go to my mechanic who I trust..I think it is the motor mounts are going bad ..I mean I have 156,000 mile's on it..When the car was serviced I had a new timming blet..water pump..and a new pully put on ...I had made a post about a noise it started making after i got the car back , I was told from someone it just might be the belts are to tight...I really hope the lexus dealership put the timming belt in right becouse of the cost , I would be highly pis***.

But I am going to go this week and I hope it is nothing serious I am running out of money fast...I just never new replacing a timming belt was so exspenisive...

Not if you find somebody good to service it.

Amanda, was the car purchased from a Lexus dealer certified?

What you need to do is go around and visit some good independent mechanics, talk to the owners, when you find a place that feels good, use it. Dont use places like Sears, or even the Toyota dealership. You need a good independent mechanic.

I did a little investigating...I opened the hood while the car was running, and I reved it. However, I didn't see my engine flinch at all, so I'm thinking the mounts might still be good. I can't list a rpm becuase I gave it some gas manually, but I'd estimate 3500-4000 rpms. I did, however, hear a hissing sound. I'm guessing I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I still have the same symptoms as above, rough idling and tranny shifts. What do you guys think?

hey, ya, blake. you know, most mechanics would look at the mounts for you in a snap no charge. but i didn't have a mount problem either, though the car has the vibration.

i am taking it to lexus on friday. the competent mechanic i found yesterday charges $65 an hour for labor and said an oil change would run me $50 so i figured i may as well take it to the people who know this car for sure (lexus) and get the wind noise checked out too. plus, for $95 bucks, lexus is also throwing in an oil change.

i guess you pay for quality.