Looking To Be A Lexus Owner. Need Advice.

stateman

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a family car that will be driven by my wife. We have 2 kids that are almost 2 years old. I am looking at the ls400 because it looks like a safe car that is big enough for the family. I have also heard nothing but good things about reliability.

First I would like to ask if they are as reliable as I have been hearing?

Next I am worried about maintenance costs. I have called a couple lexus dealerships and found out that the cost of an oil change is $50 and that standard service (like the 90,000) can cost up to $2000.

I guess I am just confused and wondering why I shouldn't just buy an accord or camary? They are about the same price and will have less miles on them and I would assume a little bit less in everyday costs.

The bottom line is that I absolutely LOVE the ls400 and I just don't want to regret the purchase. I am looking at a 1996 with 95k miles for $9500. It is in great shape with all service records kept and it is a 1 owner.

Any information that you could share with me would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing your feedback and if I buy the car I look forward to being a regular on the site raving about how much I love my car.

Thanks Again

First I would like to ask if they are as reliable as I have been hearing?

Next I am worried about maintenance costs. I have called a couple lexus dealerships and found out that the cost of an oil change is $50 and that standard service (like the 90,000) can cost up to $2000.

I guess I am just confused and wondering why I shouldn't just buy an accord or camary? They are about the same price and will have less miles on them and I would assume a little bit less in everyday costs.

The bottom line is that I absolutely LOVE the ls400 and I just don't want to regret the purchase. I am looking at a 1996 with 95k miles for $9500. It is in great shape with all service records kept and it is a 1 owner.

They are very reliable, but as with any car, they do have certain trouble spots that you will have to keep up with. Worn suspension and steering parts are the biggest trouble area that you will deal with on a LS400, and the parts aren't cheap. Also, make sure you skim this thread (if you haven't already): http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...99&hl=jerks

Anyone can change the oil on the LS400. I usually do mine myself for $30 in my driveway. The 90k at the dealer is usually around $1500, but if you find a good independent Lexus/Toyota guy, he will likely be able to do the job for around $700-$1000....a far cry from what you will pay to have a timing belt changed on a 4 cyl Accord.

The Accord or Camry is certainly the more sensible choice, but the LS is bigger, looks better, drives better, built better, and has more power!! Sure, LS parts are far more expensive than the Accord/Camry, it burns a lot of premium fuel, but does an Accord have power headrest adjusters??? LOL B)

I don't think you'll regret purchasing one. My '95 has 292,000 miles and is as reliable as the day is long. If it just had more front seat legroom, I'd say it's a perfect car.