Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

Nice look. So that's what the silver looks like. I often wondered how that would look. How long ago did you paint yours?

what color caliper paint do you think would look good on mine... it's got the smoked wheels...i'm thinking maybe red? maybe black? i don't know.... i do wanna get those stickers tho those are sweet

here's what it looks like now:

http://home.valornet.com/papastarnes/wheelclose.jpg

btw how do you put a picture in here like you guys have been doing?

matt

what color caliper paint do you think would look good on mine... it's got the smoked wheels...i'm thinking maybe red? maybe black? i don't know.... i do wanna get those stickers tho those are sweet

here's what it looks like now:

http://home.valornet.com/papastarnes/wheelclose.jpg

btw how do you put a picture in here like you guys have been doing?

matt

I like the attention the flame red draws. Even from a distance you can see them. But that's me. Black would be cool too. Maybe Black with silver Lexus emblems would be really cool also. Are you staying with the stock rims or do you plan on going with custom rims also?

Are you staying with the stock rims or do you plan on going with custom rims also?

i absolutely love the way the stock rims look especially the smoked ones... the only way i could see myself getting new wheels is if something happened to one of the ones i have..... like i don't know my dog using one of them as a chew toy.... which btw has happened already and that one is now my spare and the garage door opener has been fixed... :angry: but that's a different story....so all i have left is the four i got on the car... :( and trying to find a smoked rim is not easy.... i don't know maybe one day i'll want a wheel that's not so heavy.... how much lighter are the aftermarket wheels?

I have found that the weight of the rim is in direct proportion to the dollars spent x's 100. <_<

It's stupid how much rims can get. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's good that you like the stock rims. You can save that money and spend it somewhere else on the car then. ;)

and you have a dog that chews on rims?????? I have to ask,,, what kind of dog do you have?

I have found that the weight of the rim is in direct proportion to the dollars spent x's 100. <_<

It's stupid how much rims can get. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's good that you like the stock rims. You can save that money and spend it somewhere else on the car then. ;)

and you have a dog that chews on rims?????? I have to ask,,, what kind of dog do you have?

lol i don't even know it just strayed up... it's still a puppy going through teething i guess ...little bitty dog doesn't even seem capable of doing such a task....

what do you know about the srt intake system.... good? is there one better?

the SRT system is probably the best Cold Air Intake, but it does it by using a piggy back ECU program chip that you solder into your exsisting ECU. It's the only one that goes that far that I know of. The rest are a waste of time and money. They have more sound than go. realistically you will see about 7-10 hp at the rear wheel. You'll feel that, but if you go this route, then all that's left is an exhaust system. Maybe 10 ponies there. Then you'll have pretty much maxed out the hp gains you can get. there just isn't much out there without going forced induction. Which is where I'm going.

I just finished researching the turbo I want. I'm ordering it this week.:pirate: I can hardly wait!!!!

the SRT system is probably the best Cold Air Intake, but it does it by using a piggy back ECU program chip that you solder into your exsisting ECU. It's the only one that goes that far that I know of. The rest are a waste of time and money. They have more sound than go. realistically you will see about 7-10 hp at the rear wheel. You'll feel that, but if you go this route, then all that's left is an exhaust system. Maybe 10 ponies there. Then you'll have pretty much maxed out the hp gains you can get. there just isn't much out there without going forced induction. Which is where I'm going.

I just finished researching the turbo I want. I'm ordering it this week.:pirate: I can hardly wait!!!!

hmmmm....good point!!! so what can i get for a little extra hp that won't be replaced by a turbo kit....and maybe i can start there and that way i haven't wasting any money.... and it'll leave the turbo idea open down the line...

right now i've got 3 things i'm gonna do which include painting my calipers w/ the lexus stickers, getting the clear front/rear side markers, and drop it an inch!!!

now after that im gonna start the go fast stuff! :D

how hard is it to put springs on?

matt

With 4 jack stands, and a few wrenches should take no more than 4 hours. You may need a spring tensioner tool. But that's about it. If your only dropping it an inch you may not need to recamber, but I recomend it. Just take it to a shop and have them do it. ( I doubt you have a CDS laser or an optilign sitting in your garage. You can do it by hand, but you'll be guessing, and that's no way to do it. It's worth the 70 bucks.

Oh yeah, I do all my own work. I graduated UTI in 93' and ASE certification 94-96. My dad made me in order to work in his shop. But I have since gone another route and now I just work on our race cars and my personal for fun.

wow.... i wish i had a background in mechanics, but instead my dad has a cabinet shop... too bad i can't make a turbo out of wood eh? LOL but really man i appreciate all the advice you've given me... i'm starting to finally get sum stuff set in stone that i wanna do.... now all i have to do is do it!!! thanks again...

wow.... i wish i had a background in mechanics, but instead my dad has a cabinet shop... too bad i can't make a turbo out of wood eh? LOL but really man i appreciate all the advice you've given me... i'm starting to finally get sum stuff set in stone that i wanna do.... now all i have to do is do it!!! thanks again...

Anytime....it was nice meeting you. Come by anytime.

Hope to see ya around the boards B)

Nice look. So that's what the silver looks like. I often wondered how that would look. How long ago did you paint yours?

i actually painted them black but when i sprayed the clear coat it made it look silver gunmetal...(maybe because it was for the engine but it was extra high temp) anyway i liked the outcome so i just left it like that.... but i painted them about 1 month ago and it still looks like i just did it

The clear coat did that? Strange.I mean it looks good, I just wouldn't have thought clear to do that to paint. What brands did you use? I want to look into that and see what happened.

i used black caliper paint and clear engine enamel paint only because of its high heat tolerance. Both are made from dupli-color and both are with ceramic....

So let me get this straight, you painted the calipers black first and they were black. ( brush on paint or spray piant?) Then you put on the decals, and after you clear coated them they turned silver?

haha... yea.... yeaup it did.... as soon as i sprayed the clear coat on black turned right into gunmetal silver... ill post up some more pictures of the finished product as soon as i can if you want to have a closer look....

Let me begin with I don't doubt you in the least. But my only conclusion is that you had a bad can of either black or clear. I have painted countless engine blocks, heads, bays, brake calipers, sway bars, you name it. The only problem I ever ran into was clear coat "crinkling" the paint. But that happened because they painted it with lacquer, then tried to clear coat it.

Hey, atleast they didn't turn purple or pink on ya!!!!

Ordered my turbo today. Oh Yeah!!!! 653.gif

sweet when you get it installed and tuned ima drive my happy !Removed! to florida and beg for a ride 059.gif

Oh I wouldn't make you beg man.....I'd take you for a ride. Of course, you realize the infectious qualities that speed can posess, You may leave scheming and planning. 1221.gif

sweet when you get it installed and tuned ima drive my happy !Removed! to florida and beg for a ride 059.gif

Oh I wouldn't make you beg man.....I'd take you for a ride. Of course, you realize the infectious qualities that speed can posess, You may leave scheming and planning. 1221.gif

maybe the ride is part OF my scheming and planning ;) *insert sinister laugh here*

maybe the ride is part OF my scheming and planning ;) *insert sinister laugh here*

Oh really??? will I need to be sending instructions on how to install a turbo home with you? :geek: