Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

Okay, I have the new Michelin Pilot S's on the car. VERY FRICKIN NICE!!!! They look great, they feel great. I am very happy. the only complaint I have is the same complaint I have with all the performance tires. On really course textured roads they can carry the noise. And on expansion joints the ping can get loud also. But that's it. Thankfully I live in Florida also where I can have these tires on my car year round. As much traction as these tires have, I don't think they would work that well in snow. LOL!

I ran my Pilot Sports for 4 winters here in the upper midwest with no problems ;)

Okay, I have the new Michelin Pilot S's on the car. VERY FRICKIN NICE!!!! They look great, they feel great. I am very happy. the only complaint I have is the same complaint I have with all the performance tires. On really course textured roads they can carry the noise. And on expansion joints the ping can get loud also. But that's it. Thankfully I live in Florida also where I can have these tires on my car year round. As much traction as these tires have, I don't think they would work that well in snow. LOL!

I ran my Pilot Sports for 4 winters here in the upper midwest with no problems ;)

Really?? Come on..the 3 main grooves run parallel with the tire!!! What, did you put chains on em? or those traction boot things??

RyaPosted Today, 11:23 AM

OMG..... you're so worked up over tires. Too...

well, yeahhh.....Do you know how much tires can effect the ride and cornering? B) , Only the best for my "baby".

Hey I was wondering if you could post a few pics of all the LEDs you put in? Also, did you ever get to tinting your tail lights? If so, pics? :) You seem to be doing a lot of the stuff that I want to get to. Thanks for posting this thread and keep up the good work!

Really?? Come on..the 3 main grooves run parallel with the tire!!! What, did you put chains on em? or those traction boot things??

well, yeahhh.....Do you know how much tires can effect the ride and cornering? B) , Only the best for my "baby".

Seriously, 4 winters, Winters haven't been bad here and the roads are plowed and salted/sanded. Now ice is a different story...............I used to run Blizzaks in the winter and they wore out and decided not to go with a winter tire. I am considering getting another set :D

Hey I was wondering if you could post a few pics of all the LEDs you put in? Also, did you ever get to tinting your tail lights? If so, pics? :) You seem to be doing a lot of the stuff that I want to get to. Thanks for posting this thread and keep up the good work!

I'll see what I can do for the pics.

As for the tint on the tail lights, I had them on, but later took them off. I guess I should have put this in my thread earlier. I ran into 2 problems with them. One was that the taillight on the IS 300 is soooooo curved, that no matter what I seemed to do or how I positioned it, there was a crease somewhere in the tint.( I am a perfectionist and that alone was enouph for me to want to just peel them off), and the second problem that I ran into I think happened more because of the first problem than anything, and that is that I think because I kept trying to work the crease out I over worked the tint and the edges started to lift up after about a week. And we just can't have that. So I took them off.

And because I still haven't decided what exactly I want to do back there I just haven't messed with it since.

And by the way, even if the pics don't turn out great in the post, trust me, just buy them and put them in. They look just way to cool. B)

Seriously, 4 winters, Winters haven't been bad here and the roads are plowed and salted/sanded. Now ice is a different story...............I used to run Blizzaks in the winter and they wore out and decided not to go with a winter tire. I am considering getting another set :D

Oh, I see. I guess when I remember back to the Wisconsin misery months, I think of needing a Delorean twin trac and thermos full of whiskey...LOL

Naw, I love reading your posts & how excited you get about your car.

Oh, I see. I guess when I remember back to the Wisconsin misery months, I think of needing a Delorean twin trac and thermos full of whiskey...LOL

Hehehe! They never taught us about the thermos of whiskey in Minnesota driving school... :D

Naw, I love reading your posts & how excited you get about your car.

Hehehe! They never taught us about the thermos of whiskey in Minnesota driving school... :D

Blackberry brandy and ice fishing anyone?

As for the tint on the tail lights, I had them on, but later took them off. I guess I should have put this in my thread earlier. I ran into 2 problems with them. One was that the taillight on the IS 300 is soooooo curved, that no matter what I seemed to do or how I positioned it, there was a crease somewhere in the tint.( I am a perfectionist and that alone was enouph for me to want to just peel them off), and the second problem that I ran into I think happened more because of the first problem than anything, and that is that I think because I kept trying to work the crease out I over worked the tint and the edges started to lift up after about a week. And we just can't have that. So I took them off.

And because I still haven't decided what exactly I want to do back there I just haven't messed with it since.

And by the way, even if the pics don't turn out great in the post, trust me, just buy them and put them in. They look just way to cool. B)

Ah I see, yeah I'd probably cringe, too, if I found a crease in the tint. I was just curious because you took a different approach in the tint, rather than purchasing those black chrome jdm tails from lextasy, or the black "jdm," ones they have on ebay.

I'm currently thinking of painting my own headlights and tails black, but I'm somewhat scared, after hearing/reading stories (cracking/melting housings, lights not working after, etc). I just can't see paying $300+ for something you can DIY. Maybe I need to stop being such a cheap !Removed!?

Ah I see, yeah I'd probably cringe, too, if I found a crease in the tint. I was just curious because you took a different approach in the tint, rather than purchasing those black chrome jdm tails from lextasy, or the black "jdm," ones they have on ebay.

I'm currently thinking of painting my own headlights and tails black, but I'm somewhat scared, after hearing/reading stories (cracking/melting housings, lights not working after, etc). I just can't see paying $300+ for something you can DIY. Maybe I need to stop being such a cheap !Removed!?

The headlights were alot of work. I started with a new set of headlights and just built them at my own pace in the garage. That's how to do it in my opinion. If you decide you want to do it. PM me and I'll help you all I can. If you want me to make a set for you, Pm also. I want this thread to be about modifying my IS, not a sales thing you know?

I don't like any of the taillights I've seen. While they are different, I just don't like em. So, in reality, I think I will be taking the tail lights off and opening them up also and blacking those out from the inside. Then I can control just how dark I want them. And now that I have a good LED source, I was thinking that when I get to it, I'll use brighter LED's and really black out the taillights. We'll see....

OOOhhhh, Balckberry Brandi,,,even to this day, the mere mention of it makes my ribs hurt.

Something else they left out in drivers ed..... :( Maybe it's cuz I didn't live up their my whole life, neither did my parents. No to the ice fishing (or even regular fishing) - yes to watch the houses fall into the lakes every year cuz people didn't move them in time.

OOOhhhh, Balckberry Brandi,,,even to this day, the mere mention of it makes my ribs hurt.

Something else they left out in drivers ed..... :( Maybe it's cuz I didn't live up their my whole life, neither did my parents. No to the ice fishing (or even regular fishing) - yes to watch the houses fall into the lakes every year cuz people didn't move them in time.

The protected life you led......... :rolleyes:

The headlights were alot of work. I started with a new set of headlights and just built them at my own pace in the garage. That's how to do it in my opinion. If you decide you want to do it. PM me and I'll help you all I can. If you want me to make a set for you, Pm also. I want this thread to be about modifying my IS, not a sales thing you know?

I don't like any of the taillights I've seen. While they are different, I just don't like em. So, in reality, I think I will be taking the tail lights off and opening them up also and blacking those out from the inside. Then I can control just how dark I want them. And now that I have a good LED source, I was thinking that when I get to it, I'll use brighter LED's and really black out the taillights. We'll see....

Thanks, I've given it some thought and have decided to give it a shot this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing how your tails turn out!

Well kalae, I've been trying to load those LED pics for you, but there seems to be a technical issue with the website. I can't get any photos to load. I think it has something to do with the website being down the other day. So, I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten ya. As soon as they fix it I'll post those pics.

Okay, the research is over. I have the info I need. I have decided that I am going with a centrifugal supercharger with about 10 psi. I'll be ordering it next week, and then of course I have to get the fuel rails, fuel pump, intercooler, maybe larger injectors, heat shield, and also I'm going to get an exhaust system to go with this. I already have a guy to do the dyno tuning when I get to that point. I'm hoping to get to around 400-450 hp. ( we'll see. I think that might be a bit lofty of a goal, but even if I get somewhere just under 400 hp I will be very happy.)

So, phase 2 of the Dream Ride will start now. As the parts come in and I start doing the install I will post pics along the way and info. If anyone has ideas and advice it would be nice to hear it. thanks to every one who I have met along the way.

Fun????? That might come later, right now it's frustration and torcher. It seems like every step of the way is uphill. I have spent hours on the phone with several supercharger manufacturers trying to get spec info and the correct application assembly for my car. It seems that very few people have decided to use a supercharger for this car, If I went with a turbo, then suddenly there is 20 turbo kits to choose from and everything is at my fingertips. But noooooooooooooooooooooo, I gotta choose supercharger. So it's strap on the boots and trudge up this hill to make it happen.

Oh, but I will supercharge my IS 300. and it will be fast. I have my reasons for picking supercharger. So in the end, it will all be worth it. But for now..... :censored:

Hello all. I have returned with news.:blushing: I am going with a turbo after all.

Here's the deal. I was looking into the Powerdyne supercharger. It's a self contained supercharger,( no drilling for oil lines and hence runs cooler etc.etc.) The problem is :

I would have to make my own mounting brackets. - Not that big of a deal. But the last time I did that I said that was the last time I would do that.

It's still a belt driven system. ( Harder on the motor, and with belts come problems.)

With a supercharger in order to get the hp I'm looking for I would have to run 14 psi or more. At first I was ok with this, but after looking at the cost of replacing the top end also it quickly became an issue. Removing the VVTi is not the route I prefer.

I want to be able to bypass the forced induction and be able to "switch" it on and off when I want. the turbo definately has an advantage here.

So it will be turbo after all.

And just so everyone knows I'm not changing my mind again. I have ordered the following:

Stage 2 turbo

Evolution Wastegate

Raptor B.O.V.

Spearco Front mount Intercooler

6- 380 cc. fuel injectors

Unichip EMS

Cast Ductile Exhaust Manifold

Charging Pipe

3" down pipe

Cat-back exhaust T.B.D.

I'll probably start seeing the parts come in over the next few weeks.

For those of you who have boost on an IS 300, if there are any heads up tips, it would be nice to hear, or any input at all.

I will be posting pics along the way as usual.

i had a question about painting your calipers, if you don't mind... after i read your post and saw the pics it made me want to try to do that to mine as well... so i asked my friend if he would help me do it and he told me that he's tried it on several of his own cars and said that because the calipers get so hot and then get cool and get hot etc... the contraction and expanding of the metal will crack the paint and clear coat.... i just wanted to ask you if you have had anything like this happen to you in your experience... i don't know maybe my friend is wrong, but i thought i'd get some more input! :D thanks!!! btw i just joined this forum and i hate reading, but for some reason i feel compelled to read this kind of stuff so... thanx for being so interesting!!

matt

i had a question about painting your calipers, if you don't mind... after i read your post and saw the pics it made me want to try to do that to mine as well... so i asked my friend if he would help me do it and he told me that he's tried it on several of his own cars and said that because the calipers get so hot and then get cool and get hot etc... the contraction and expanding of the metal will crack the paint and clear coat.... i just wanted to ask you if you have had anything like this happen to you in your experience... i don't know maybe my friend is wrong, but i thought i'd get some more input! :D thanks!!! btw i just joined this forum and i hate reading, but for some reason i feel compelled to read this kind of stuff so... thanx for being so interesting!!

matt

Your friend is right if you use regular paint. After a short while it will just crack and chip off. BUT, if you use High Temp. Ceramic brake caliper paint, and High temp Clear coat, then you will have no problems. You can also have them powder coated if you want to go through the trouble and expense. Earlier in this thread Parking 17 just used high temp spray paint and high temp clear coat. He says he's had no problem with that also. The key is cleaning the caliper really really really good before you paint them. I used brake caliper cleaner, and a brush. It took a couple of cans. I liked the ceramic paint because you apply it with a small brush, and the coverage texture is really nice. But it only comes in limited colors. Parking 17 wanted a darker red. I really like the flame red.

btw i just joined this forum and i hate reading, but for some reason i feel compelled to read this kind of stuff so... thanx for being so interesting!!

Welcome to the LOC. I'm glad I could help.

I want people to modify thier rides. I think stock is for people that don't know any better. I started this thread to try and help as many people as I can see what you can do to you ride to make it your own. I love the fact that people come here and see what I have done, ( not that I invented any of it), but they see it, and say Hey, that's cool and I could do that. Ask a few questions, get the info and go out and do it to thier car. That's what I think this whole forum was started for. I wish there were more like you.

If you have any questions, ideas, just want advice, please feel free to ask away.

Welcome to the LOC. I'm glad I could help.

I want people to modify thier rides. I think stock is for people that don't know any better. I started this thread to try and help as many people as I can see what you can do to you ride to make it your own. I love the fact that people come here and see what I have done, ( not that I invented any of it), but they see it, and say Hey, that's cool and I could do that. Ask a few questions, get the info and go out and do it to thier car. That's what I think this whole forum was started for. I wish there were more like you.

If you have any questions, ideas, just want advice, please feel free to ask away.

thanks for the info!!! i had another question too... i want to lower my car like an inch or so.... and i did this to a car i had a few years back and the springs ended up busting one of my shocks.... is that gonna be a problem on the IS.... do i need to replace both the spring and shock? or can i just get the springs? or are coilovers the only way to go? what brands would you recommend?

matt

You know, I should post a thread on where and how to start modding. You're asking the right questions, but there is more to it.

The reason you busted a spring is because they probabaly weren't the right ones for your set up. So here is the first question you have to answer. Do you want to lower the car for the sole purpose of lowering the car or for performance upgrades and better handling?

For just lowering the car, then you can get away with just springs, but remember that they work together with your shocks. Teniko and Tanabe are the best spring kits I've seen. I have installed Tanabe's before. The ride itself was a little stiffer, but otherwise not to bad.

But, in my opinion, if your gonna do it, do it right and go with coilover's. I lowered mine 1 inch in the front and 1 1/2 in the rear to level it. The ride is actually better than stock. It's for one quieter. Yes, I said quieter. The Tein coilovers and GReddy's have a better bushing system that help keep the road noise out. Also when I go thru high speed sweepers, the car is way more stable, no floating or body roll. Also, because the shock and the spring are tuned to work with each other, they respond to bumps in the raod much quicker, keeping the tire firmly planted on the road. So the ride is actually better, And with preload, rebound and damping adjustments, I can tune the suspension to how I drive. If you do alot of adjusting though, you might want to look into a camber kit also, but I found that unless your racing, you don't need one. You can install them yourself easily, but expect to pay around a grand for a good set.