Poor Radio Reception - '06 Gx 300 Awd

Has anyone had a problem with poor radio reception (both FM and AM) on their GS 300?

I have not spoken with the dealer's service department yet and thought I would solicit feedback from the forum before attempting to do so.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• 3 months later...

Occasionally I have reception problems with the AM on my GS 300. I have brought it to the attention of the dealer but when we go for a test drive the radio performs perfectly. I think I will take a tape recorder with me in order to record the sound of the poor reception and make a note of where I was travelling and what radio stations I was listening to.

Yes, yes, yes! I took my 2006 AWD in and asked them to look at it. Hounded by poor reception and another problem with the radio. If I used the scan or seek funtion, it stops at numerous "static" stations in between the real stations. The dealer said nothing was wrong and that it was normal. My daughter's Corolla radio works better! So much for spending the money on the ML system.

Yes, yes, yes! I took my 2006 AWD in and asked them to look at it. Hounded by poor reception and another problem with the radio. If I used the scan or seek funtion, it stops at numerous "static" stations in between the real stations. The dealer said nothing was wrong and that it was normal. My daughter's Corolla radio works better! So much for spending the money on the ML system.

Sorry to hear that...I wish there was something I could do.

• 1 month later...

I am a new Lexus owner and am very disappointed with the quality of the FM and AM radio reception. Lexus has advised me that the radio is operating "within factory specifications" My response is that they have a very low bar for their factory specs. I previously owned a Jaguar and I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee--both vehicles have superior reception compared to the GS350. In the same locations within the NY metro area, I have received perfect reception on the other two vehicles' radios--in the Lexus I receive static. For the price of this vehicle, I expect better than that. Since this is the best that Lexus can do, this will be the last Lexus that I own.

I would recommend you have your backglass inspected. The backglass is the radio antenna, but there is also an antenna amplifier in the upper right of the glass. If the back glass is not seated properly, the glass may not be fully contacting the amplifier. We've actually seem that happen with a brand new car. Another possibility is the amplifier could be defective or damaged. Damage generally only happens if the backglass is replaced.

I am a new Lexus owner and am very disappointed with the quality of the FM and AM radio reception. Lexus has advised me that the radio is operating "within factory specifications" My response is that they have a very low bar for their factory specs. I previously owned a Jaguar and I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee--both vehicles have superior reception compared to the GS350. In the same locations within the NY metro area, I have received perfect reception on the other two vehicles' radios--in the Lexus I receive static. For the price of this vehicle, I expect better than that. Since this is the best that Lexus can do, this will be the last Lexus that I own.

While my GS430 may be the last Lexus I own for other reasons, my radio work like a champ.

While my GS430 may be the last Lexus I own for other reasons, my radio work like a champ.

Now you've got me curious - what are these other reasons?

I haven't been happy with the way Lexus has handled (or I should say chosen to ignore) what I believe is a finish defect on their factory rims. See the following post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=38929

My take on this is that Lexus wants to distinguish its premium ML sound system and uses a cheap run of the mill system as standard equipment. I got stuck with the same problem in my new GS350. The Bose system in my 6 year old Mercedes E320 was superior in every aspect.

Two other complaints. The garage door opener selector isn't lighted so it's difficult to open a garage door at night. You have to feel around and hope you push the correct ( 1,2 or 3) button. Also no automatic light in the small trunk. Have I missed something?

Steve

Actually, you did miss something. There is a trunk light in your car. See page 23 in your owners manual. Its on the right side of the trunk. Flip the switch to ON, and the light will come on when the trunk lid is open. A bit odd thats its on the right side of the trunk, though.

Sorry to be negative, but it gets so old hearing all the "Last this or that I will ever buy" Or the classic lines like "My Edsel was better than this or that"

First question? Do you have window tint?

Second Question? If so did the dealer install it? Is it metallic tint?

I remember reading that the diversity antenna is located in the rear window glass and the way the antenna leads hook up to it are different

than used on previous Lexus models. It uses spring loaded contacts to connect the antenna leads to the glass. If these are loose or get corrsion on them it can cause poor radio reception, this can be ehanced if the windows are tinted because water is sprayed in the area and promotes corrision. Metallic tint can also cause interference with reception. The contacts are located in the right upper corner of the rear window glass. Their also is an antenna amplfier that could have a loose connection. Just a few ideas. Its also a good idea to call Lexus customer satisfaction and open a case, sometimes its hit or miss with them but its always good to have it on record.

Over the years I have owned several Lexus vehicles, were they all perfect? No. Were their some things I did not like? Yes. Overall they have been better and had fewer things that I did not like when compared to other vehicles I have owned.

Rant over

I am becoming extremely disappointed with Lexus; the AM radio reception in my 2006 GS 300 is TERRIBLE. The dealer made every attempt to explain that there was interference was from sources outside the car. But that is BS because I have not had these reception problems with other cars I have driven in the same area. The dealer is of no help whatsoever. It is as if the problem will go away if they ignore it.

I have reviewed and checked the solutions recommended in this string, but still poor reception.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of any reception and/or antena enhancements for the AM radio.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...
I am becoming extremely disappointed with Lexus; the AM radio reception in my 2006 GS 300 is TERRIBLE. The dealer made every attempt to explain that there was interference was from sources outside the car. But that is BS because I have not had these reception problems with other cars I have driven in the same area. The dealer is of no help whatsoever. It is as if the problem will go away if they ignore it.

I have reviewed and checked the solutions recommended in this string, but still poor reception.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of any reception and/or antena enhancements for the AM radio.

Thanks for your help.

I know on some radios they had a screw behind the knobs or on the back of the radio to fine tune the reception.If there was it's funny they wouldn't of mentioned it though.Did they say that alot of people have been complaining of the same problem,and if not tell your salesman you want to take another 350 for a test drive and see if its as poor as yours.At least you'll know if there all junk or yours is defective.Good Luck sr123

• 2 months later...

I have been disappointed in the reception in my '06 GS 300. Radio stations that we get fine in our other 2 vehicles (one a Prius/one an Acura) and friends of mine get clearly are commonly with static and at other times come in fine, depending on weather and cloud cover. Anyone else have this issue?

If you're getting poor reception, check your rear glass. The antenna is bult into the rear glass. In the upper corner of the glass on the inside is the antenna amplifier. Poor contact between the amplifier and the glass can cause poor reception.

• 3 weeks later...

radio reception on mine is great and I have my windows tinted. there are two types of window film for tinting, one is metallic and the other non metallic. you may have gotten a metallic type film which will definitely degrade your reception and will affect your GPS too in some cases.

jd

• 2 months later...
I have been disappointed in the reception in my '06 GS 300. Radio stations that we get fine in our other 2 vehicles (one a Prius/one an Acura) and friends of mine get clearly are commonly with static and at other times come in fine, depending on weather and cloud cover. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes! I have poor AM reception in areas where I had excellent receiption in previous cars I owned. My dealer has given me no satisfaction and has not been able to solve the problem, so I received a $250 credit toward service etc. This does not really mitigate the problem when I want to listen to my radio. There is a "company line" which goes "Your radio receiption is the same as all the other Lexus models like yours." This simply tells me that all of the cars like mine have terrible receiption, and I have heard this line more than once at Lexus; they must have been trained to give this excuse when they get complaints about the radio reception. It is an insult to my intelligence.

I do not have tinted windows. I believe that what I really need is an antena with better receiving qualities; the one they built into the rear window in inadequate or the radio itself is inadequate.

If someone has a solution please let me know it. Thanks.

Thanks for your help.

I know on some radios they had a screw behind the knobs or on the back of the radio to fine tune the reception.If there was it's funny they wouldn't of mentioned it though.Did they say that alot of people have been complaining of the same problem,and if not tell your salesman you want to take another 350 for a test drive and see if its as poor as yours.At least you'll know if there all junk or yours is defective.Good Luck sr123

When I return to the dealer I will ask about the screws to fine-tune the reception; if if would have helped I would have thought they would do it. Reading the posts now (almost 6 months after my original post) I see that there are a number of complaints like mine about the radio reception. I have tested the reception in other 2006 GS models and the reception is also poor. Lexus gave me a $250 credit to spend, but I really would just like my radio to work. I don't have tinted windows and the dealer checked all the connections from the real window to the radio. My conclusion is that their radios are simply junk.

Occasionally I have reception problems with the AM on my GS 300. I have brought it to the attention of the dealer but when we go for a test drive the radio performs perfectly. I think I will take a tape recorder with me in order to record the sound of the poor reception and make a note of where I was travelling and what radio stations I was listening to.

To follow up...I bought a tape recorder and recorded the static and generally poor receiption. I also noted where I was driving at the time. It did get me a $250 credit on future expenditures, but it did not result in my radio having better reception. It was the same old corporate "stone wall".