Need Validation About Buying A Used Rx330 Over New Ford Or Hyundai?

Rya

LOL Rya... "She", huh? That's funny how suddenly my perspective changed (not sure why either, maybe I suddenly started looking at the choice from my wife's POV), but either way I think the discussion is still pretty valid.

SW03ES, man, I've never seen anyone put so much effort into trying distance themselves from liking a vehicle. Not sure what "It tries very hard to not be unnatractive to anybody, and in doing that its not really attractive to anybody either" means... so are you saying it looks good, but it doesn't? :huh: Either way, RX330driver is right in that Lexus pretty much pioneered this cross-over concept and gave the consumer (either male or female) all the attributes they want in a package that 'tries hard to not be unnatractive to anybody." That's probably why they are such a seller and have such high customer satisfaction. They are distinct, and yes there are a lot of them on the road, but there are a TON of ES's on the road, too. Doesn't make it any less of a fantastic vehicle (I have one of those, too, and my wife prefers to drive it over the RX). When you come right down to it, there's just not much to point at as a dislike of the vehicle, other than to dislike it because it fits everything so well.

When I looked for a good crossover (with my wife's input, of course), I had everything on the list from the Murano to the MDX to the X5 to the RX. I did my research, I looked at carsurvey.org, I look at edmunds.com, I did test drives, I looked at cost, I looked at depreciation, I went by what my wife liked, I went by what I liked, and it boiled down between the Murano and the RX. I LOVED the X5, but man they have a spotty track record... everything from hardware to transmissions laying down at a certain mileage. I don't want to be left stranded anywhere. After driving the Murano and the RX, the Murano was fun, but the RX was more relaxed and comfortable.... it's great when navigating the rotten commute through congested construction... I just kick back in comfort and enjoy the 'placididity' of the vehicle. If I didn't live/work in the city I might have different priorities, but for me (and apparently many like me), the RX is an exceptional fit.... especially in black B) :rolleyes:

In fact, I'd say the RX is the poster child for exactly whats wrong with Lexus, their trepidation for any kind of risk. Luckily the newer Lexus cars are riskier in their design.

Thats a bit of an ironic statement from you , dont you think? I mean in all honesty the ES series pretty sedate and rather boringly styled. And while the RX definitely has a very familar look now, it was pretty different back in 99 when the wheeled boxes called Explorers, Cherokees, and Troopers were everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I like ES's and its because I was driven around in one for a week that I realized what great cars Lexus made and prompted me to get my RX.

If money were no object for me in this class I would buy the new X5. It has tons of great features, great style, a sporty yet supple ride and drive, great performance, and a beautifully finished interior.

I looked at a lot of X5's before getting my RX and I'd agree with your points except the "supple" ride, I found it too harsh as was the MDX at the time. Also while the interior was well produced, I've never been a fan of any BMW interiors , too much black and too "cold" looking for me, but hey, thats just me.

With money being an object, I would probably buy an FX35 or an MDX. The interior of the FX isn't great, but its fun to drive and its unique. The MDX is just a great vehicle all around.

I really like the looks of the new MDX's ( the old ones looked like RX's theat someone worked over with a bat) I'd consider one today if I were in the market.

Thats very appealing to a lot of people (Mommies, etc). ...... It doesn't even really have a long list of attractive features, no third row seat, cargo capacity isn't great. Its all around "average"

I'm sure you can see the contradiction in the same paragraph here. The RX is definitely NOT appealing to Mommies, Grandmas yes, but nobody in their right mind would let kids on their leather seats for more than a moment and, as you mentioned the lack of seating and cargo space make it really useless unless you have an only child.

You are right on in that the RX is more of a compromise in a lot of areas, but thats it appeal, it does a lot of different things pretty well. Sure there are better all-weather vehicles and there are vehicles with more room and ones with, nicer rides etcc. but the RX incorporates all these things into a tidy package.

If I didn't live/work in the city I might have different priorities, but for me (and apparently many like me), the RX is an exceptional fit....

You know, you may have hit on a common denomenator here. I also live in an urban environment and I really can't imagine having anything bigger than the RX ,it just isnt practical or practicable due to narrow streets and tiny parking spaces. Now I'm not saying I live in a big city but the problems are similar enough. If I lived out in the open spaces, without traffic, and lots of open road, I may very well have a slightly different opinion.

The Murano is very nice & I could probably afford a new one. It's one of those things where another family member just bought one & I wanted something different. Weird?

Naa, I don't blame you.

Thats a bit of an ironic statement from you , dont you think? I mean in all honesty the ES series pretty sedate and rather boringly styled.

Oh its very sedate, but it offers a ton of features and driving experience for the money, and its a good looking car. I just don't see anything uniquely good about the RX...

I'm sure you can see the contradiction in the same paragraph here. The RX is definitely NOT appealing to Mommies, Grandmas yes, but nobody in their right mind would let kids on their leather seats for more than a moment and, as you mentioned the lack of seating and cargo space make it really useless unless you have an only child.

People here cart kids around in leather lined vehicles constantly, in fact I specifically would purchase a vehicle with leather for kids since its so easy to clean.

Lack of seating and storage didn't stop Mommies from making the Ford Explorer the best selling SUV primarily being sold to mommies. You can have an RX and have two kids. A minivan is a much better vehicle for that, but the RX is absolutely designed and sold as a family vehicle.

The RX is really for that average american pleasantville family of 4. Two parents, one son and one daughter. Its a safe vehicle that provides better traction etc in road trips to snowy places. Anything more than 4 people in the family, like 5 would require a minivan.

The RX is really for that average american pleasantville family of 4. Two parents, one son and one daughter. Its a safe vehicle that provides better traction etc in road trips to snowy places. Anything more than 4 people in the family, like 5 would require a minivan.

EEEEEKKKKKK............ a mini van??? No way (not that there's anything wrong with them - just not for me). I think the RX will be a good size. No kids to worry about, it's normally just myself or my hubby & I. I just like a little bit of a bigger vehicle. Thanks for all of your advise!

You know, the first time I got behind the wheel of the RX the first thing that came to mind was, "Oh crap, I feel like I'm in my parent's Sienna mini-van!!" The seating position is similar, the long dash, the missing console in the middle (with the cubbies closed). After I drove it a bit, I couldn't care less... it just rode, drove, and felt good... nice seating position, excellent on road manners, etc. I have to say I can't knock minivans by what they can do, especially with families and kids, but I'm going to fight getting one with every bone in my body... apparently my bones are flexible since I'm comfortable with the 'feel' of a minivan :P

By the way, I saw one of the new Hyundai VeraCruz models on the road... very bland... the RX totally, and I mean totally trumps it in style and grace. Rya, I think you made the best choice available to you with the RX.

EEEEEKKKKKK............ a mini van??? No way (not that there's anything wrong with them - just not for me). I think the RX will be a good size. No kids to worry about, it's normally just myself or my hubby & I. I just like a little bit of a bigger vehicle. Thanks for all of your advise!

Hey, give me a Sienna with the Lexus GS's DFI V6 drive train and its rear biased, definitely REAR biased, AWD system and I'd dump my AWD RX and its Ford AWD Aerostar true adverse condition "backup" so quick your head would swim.

Chrysler Bionic "minivan", now there's a concept that should go into production. Say with a rear mounted Subaru boxter "4" drive train but electric hybrid drive/regen for the front.

No kids to worry about, no need for a minivan. When you have kids though, the layout of minivan is impossible to beat in an SUV.

Yep, I agree. For the annual family vacation we rent a minivan & a car. The van by far the best way to transport 6-7 adults around town. It's deffinately convenient & for families it can't be beat.

You know, the first time I got behind the wheel of the RX the first thing that came to mind was, "Oh crap, I feel like I'm in my parent's Sienna mini-van!!" The seating position is similar, the long dash, the missing console in the middle (with the cubbies closed). After I drove it a bit, I couldn't care less... it just rode, drove, and felt good... nice seating position, excellent on road manners, etc. I have to say I can't knock minivans by what they can do, especially with families and kids, but I'm going to fight getting one with every bone in my body... apparently my bones are flexible since I'm comfortable with the 'feel' of a minivan :P

By the way, I saw one of the new Hyundai VeraCruz models on the road... very bland... the RX totally, and I mean totally trumps it in style and grace. Rya, I think you made the best choice available to you with the RX.

So far so good.... thanks! :D