Need Validation About Buying A Used Rx330 Over New Ford Or Hyundai?

Rya

Just looking for some extra validation about spending money for a 2004 RX330. I tested a new Ford Edge & Hyundai Veracrusz last week. All 3 vehicles are the same price & each vehicle has features that I like & don't like. I'm used to buying new vehicles (with full length warranties!) then keeping them forever - my last vehicle is a 1996 Cherokee Sport that I bought new & have had it for 11 years. The Lexus is 3 years old, 13,300 miles, has about 1.5 years left on the b2b warranty & 3 years on the powertrain warranty. I have already signed papers for the Lexus, I'm just nervous about new vs. used & the fact that I keep cars for a long time & I'm starting off with a 3 year old vehicle with very little warranty left. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Just looking for some extra validation about spending money for a 2004 RX330. I tested a new Ford Edge & Hyundai Veracrusz last week. All 3 vehicles are the same price & each vehicle has features that I like & don't like. I'm used to buying new vehicles (with full length warranties!) then keeping them forever - my last vehicle is a 1996 Cherokee Sport that I bought new & have had it for 11 years. The Lexus is 3 years old, 13,300 miles, has about 1.5 years left on the b2b warranty & 3 years on the powertrain warranty. I have already signed papers for the Lexus, I'm just nervous about new vs. used & the fact that I keep cars for a long time & I'm starting off with a 3 year old vehicle with very little warranty left. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Like you, we buy cars and keep them forever. I "inherited" my wife's Acura Legend now that she drives the RX. My Legend is 14 years old with a 117000 miles. Pennslyvania rust is taking more of a toll on it than my driving.

Back to the topic at hand. Used RX or new Hundai or Ford. First, the RX has been a great car and my wife reminds me DAILY that "I love my car". Imho, a three year RX is still a better car than a new Hundai or Ford. You really have to evaluate, though, what your transportation needs are. The RX will comfortably carry 4 adults and luggage for a week long trip in great comfort. It will most likely be a better ride and even a better value in the long run, 10 years from now.

Just my opinion.

Gary

There is good and bad each way you go.

I have heard good things about the Edge. Also, maintenance on the Ford would be cheaper as we pay a "luxury premium" when doing anything with the Lexus.

On the other hand, the Lexus is a proven performer. By the 2004 year, most of the early design problems have been worked out. That is one of the negatives about the Ford, it is too new. I usually shy away from early models of a new entry as they sometimes have issues to work out by later years.

I would ask to see the mx records on the Lexus, in particular, oil change frequency.

First, SCRATCH the Ford.

Second, the only clue you give us about your wintertime driving needs is that your prior vehicle is a Cherokee Sport. Jeeps, most of them anyway, have an absolutely stellar AWD/4X4 system. If you're by any chance looking for anything close to the Jeep's performance in that area I would drop the RX like a hot potato(e{in defference to any Bushies reading this}).

Were I you I would then look for an SUV that is NOT derived from a FWD base, look for a RWD/AWD vehicle such as the BMW X3/5

IMHO you should immediately forget about the Ford because this is the first year of production. In my experience you should NEVER buy a car in the first or second year of its production life (and yes for the wise-asses on the list I DO have a 00RX) :D . Just look at the troubles with th 99/00 RX vs the 01-03's, night and day. If the Hyundai is also a first or second year model forget about it as well. With these cars its a crapshoot, neither brand has the reliability heritage to make buying one even a calculated risk without at least a little history. If you really like those vehicles I'd say wait until you can go to forums like this and see what the owners are saying about them.

First, SCRATCH the Ford.

Second, the only clue you give us about your wintertime driving needs is that your prior vehicle is a Cherokee Sport. Jeeps, most of them anyway, have an absolutely stellar AWD/4X4 system. If you're by any chance looking for anything close to the Jeep's performance in that area I would drop the RX like a hot potato(e{in defference to any Bushies reading this}).

Were I you I would then look for an SUV that is NOT derived from a FWD base, look for a RWD/AWD vehicle such as the BMW X3/5

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. As far as winter driving needs, I'm in the Cleveland area where we do get our fair share of snow. The Jeep was great - a 4x4. The Lexus I'm looking at is AWD. But maybe all of this global warming crap will eliminate the need for good traction in the snow!

First, SCRATCH the Ford.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. As far as winter driving needs, I'm in the Cleveland area where we do get our fair share of snow. The Jeep was great - a 4x4. The Lexus I'm looking at is AWD. But maybe all of this global warming crap will eliminate the need for good traction in the snow!

My 2001 AWD RX300 will NEVER leave the garage if the roadbed conditions are already known to be adverse. For those times where it has already left the garage it has been modifed with 1.5" wheel spacers all around so that rear tire chains can be fitted FIRST and the fronts additionally if warranted by conditions. One set of tire chains remain on board in the "well" of the spare tire, all year around, and the second set is always on board in wintertime.

And keep in mind that the RX330 does not have the VC, Viscous Clutch, across the center diff'l to help apportion engine torque to the rear upon slippage at the front, while both the AWD RX300 and RX350 do.

Strange, but true.

The RX330 series relies strictly and ONLY on TC, Traction Control, front braking, and QUICK engine dethrottling to help alleviate front wheel slippage resulting from too much engine torque for the conditions. To get unstuck, should such a thing happen, you will likely need to know how to disable TC. There are several methods posted for this here and there on the various forums.

If you also look at the vehicle as an 'investment' of your money, and knowing that all vehicles are a depreciating asset, the Lexus would be a better bet. The Ford's value will drop like a rock, for their styling is already outdated and stodgy looking, plus, well, it's a Ford passenger vehicle. The Hyundai isn't as dramatic in depreciation, but if you hold onto the vehicle for a long time, the Lexus will still do better in the long run.

If you wanted to off-road the thing, then none of these will really fit the bill, but if you are looking for something all-around that will get you through the snow, the RX is your best bet.

If you also look at the vehicle as an 'investment' of your money, and knowing that all vehicles are a depreciating asset, the Lexus would be a better bet. The Ford's value will drop like a rock, for their styling is already outdated and stodgy looking, plus, well, it's a Ford passenger vehicle. The Hyundai isn't as dramatic in depreciation, but if you hold onto the vehicle for a long time, the Lexus will still do better in the long run.

If you wanted to off-road the thing, then none of these will really fit the bill, but if you are looking for something all-around that will get you through the snow, the RX is your best bet.

Keeping a 1996 Jeep until 2007 would indicate, seemingly, that the resale "investment" value is a rather small issue.

And yes, having survived winters in PA, NH, Goose Bay, MT and Alaska, now at age 67 I admit to being a bit obsessive about the safety of wintertime driving.

I could throw ~40 years of WA into that but the Seattle area doesn't compare to the others insofar as wintertime day after day adverse roadbed conditions are concerned.

Snow...

I have NO problem with...

Until it is frozen and packed down to the ICE equivalent.

o common the RX330 also has VSC! dont forget about that one! lol.

yeah, i cant trust the ford, mainly because its american and mainly because its a ford. I cant really trust hte Hyundai, even though people are saying good things about it, mainly because its a Hyundai, im not going to add the korean part as to not look like a racist, lol.

but seriously, the new Veracruz from Hyundai looks decent! that may have been the second choice of mine. I also have an 04 RX, and contrary to what others are saying, it is a first year model for the 330 series. So, main differences you wont have that others do have, bluetooth as part of the nav. that is all. make sure the previous owner has done the two recalls. Three, if you include the radiator in cold weather areas only.

yeah, i cant trust the ford, mainly because its american and mainly because its a ford. I cant really trust hte Hyundai, even though people are saying good things about it, mainly because its a Hyundai, im not going to add the korean part as to not look like a racist, lol.

but seriously, the new Veracruz from Hyundai looks decent! that may have been the second choice of mine. I also have an 04 RX, and contrary to what others are saying, it is a first year model for the 330 series. So, main differences you wont have that others do have, bluetooth as part of the nav. that is all. make sure the previous owner has done the two recalls. Three, if you include the radiator in cold weather areas only.

I read about a switch recall today, what is the other one?

The Veracruz is nice - smooth ride & cool blue interior trim lighting. The biggest problem I had (literally) are the side mirrors - they're HUGE! At 5'0 tall, the mirrors are right in my line of sight when I'm turning. Soooo, I figured I'd better see what''s in front of me, especially when going around a corner. But the vehicle itself was nice & you can't beat the 10 year warranty. I'm not concerned with the nav. system lacking the bluetooth - my RX won't have the nav. to start with, so no big deal. Are you happy with your vehicle overall?? Thanks for your input!

Keeping a 1996 Jeep until 2007 would indicate, seemingly, that the resale "investment" value is a rather small issue.

And yes, having survived winters in PA, NH, Goose Bay, MT and Alaska, now at age 67 I admit to being a bit obsessive about the safety of wintertime driving.

I could throw ~40 years of WA into that but the Seattle area doesn't compare to the others insofar as wintertime day after day adverse roadbed conditions are concerned.

Snow...

I have NO problem with...

Until it is frozen and packed down to the ICE equivalent.

I really appreciate everyone's comments! I'm new to the Lexus product line & I value everyone's time & input. I'm not worried about my driving in the snow - I lived in Minnesota when I learned how to drive - in the snow! But the ice can be tricky & it's the other drivers that kill me. Does everyone forget what driving in snow & ice is like after not having it for 9 months?? Jeesh!

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to be going off-road.... only did it a few times in the Jeep & it was to drive through the mud on a new property. I had to immediately take it through the car wash! Can't stand my vehicles being dirty. I just want to make sure this vehicle will hold up if I hang on to it for 7 or 8 years. :unsure:

Like you, we buy cars and keep them forever. I "inherited" my wife's Acura Legend now that she drives the RX. My Legend is 14 years old with a 117000 miles. Pennslyvania rust is taking more of a toll on it than my driving.

Back to the topic at hand. Used RX or new Hundai or Ford. First, the RX has been a great car and my wife reminds me DAILY that "I love my car". Imho, a three year RX is still a better car than a new Hundai or Ford. You really have to evaluate, though, what your transportation needs are. The RX will comfortably carry 4 adults and luggage for a week long trip in great comfort. It will most likely be a better ride and even a better value in the long run, 10 years from now.

Just my opinion.

Gary

Thanks for your comments!

a lot of responses there! lol

i love my car. i used to have an RX300 and i was so happy with it that i got an RX330 that i love even more. It worked on the strong points of the previous car and also worked on the weak ones. you will love it.

the three recalls that i recall (no pun intended) are the carpet/pedal clip, the rear brake lights, and the radiator grill. perhaps there was one about the seat belt but im not sure. It is a great car just to move people around in style. dont worry, u will see what i mean in a few days.

I also have an 04 RX, and contrary to what others are saying, it is a first year model for the 330 series.

Doh! :chairshot:

First model year refers to a new "Line" of vehicles. In 99 the Rx was the first of the RX line. the 330 is simply an evolution of that line. Lexus had all the problems and foibles of earlier models to draw upon and ostensibly fix or change when they made the 330 , 350.

The Edge is as the 99 RX was the first in a brand new line of vehicles, thats the point and the problem.

a lot of responses there! lol

i love my car. i used to have an RX300 and i was so happy with it that i got an RX330 that i love even more. It worked on the strong points of the previous car and also worked on the weak ones. you will love it.

the three recalls that i recall (no pun intended) are the carpet/pedal clip, the rear brake lights, and the radiator grill. perhaps there was one about the seat belt but im not sure. It is a great car just to move people around in style. dont worry, u will see what i mean in a few days.

Thanks for the info on the recall's. I'll get them checked out... or maybe the dealer can find out if they've been done, guess that would be easier. I might be picking up the RX tonight, so I'll let you know what I think. Thanks again for your comments!

Honestly? I would probably buy the Hyundai.

Its not only because I really don't care for the RX, its because Hyundai has been putting out some terriffic vehicles lately and they're hungry for market share, you get a TON of vehicle for the money and if the brand doesn't matter to you thats where I'd look. I'd rather have a new Veracruz than a used RX personally.

Some other places I would look? I'd look at a pre-owned FX35 or FX45. This vehicle has TONS of character and is far more enjoyable and satsifying to drive than the RX. I'd look at a new Acura RDX, a little smaller but lots of content and a great value. The RX is totally unappealing to me.

The RX is totally unappealing to me.

Spoken from a man without any biases, lmao

sure it may seem like a dull vehicle but it gets the job down in style. There is a reason why it sells so much more than the FX and the X3s, X5s, and any other luxury brand SUV.

He already bought the car, he might has well not be convinced out of it.

The Murano is certainly an option.

There is a reason why it sells so much more than the FX and the X3s, X5s, and any other luxury brand SUV.

I'm not saying its a bad vehicle, its certainly not. I'm just saying its unappealing to me. Its boring, its not sporty but its not posh, its not rugged looking. Its kind of like a Minivan. Thats very appealing to a lot of people (Mommies, etc). It tries very hard to not be unnatractive to anybody, and in doing that its not really attractive to anybody either. Its a safe buy, thats why everyone buys it. It doesn't even really have a long list of attractive features, no third row seat, cargo capacity isn't great. Its all around "average". On top of that, you'll have to try and unlock 3 other identical RX's in the parking lot before you find yours because they're everywhere.

All the other Lexus vehicles have a claim to fame, the LS is superbly crafted, silent, and glasslike smooth. The ES offers huge feature content for the price and much of the silent and smooth LS driving experience, the GS offers a taste of avant guarde style and a sportier edge, the IS offers an intimate setting and great performance, the SC offers a great style and retractable hardtop at a great price, the GX is rugged and has offroad ability but still has seating for 7 and a great ride, the LX...well the LX costs a lot more than the GX and you get nothing for it, but it gets replaced next year and has never sold a lot of units so we'll let it slide. With the RX you get...what?

In fact, I'd say the RX is the poster child for exactly whats wrong with Lexus, their trepidation for any kind of risk. Luckily the newer Lexus cars are riskier in their design. I hope the new RX will be too.

If money were no object for me in this class I would buy the new X5. It has tons of great features, great style, a sporty yet supple ride and drive, great performance, and a beautifully finished interior. With money being an object, I would probably buy an FX35 or an MDX. The interior of the FX isn't great, but its fun to drive and its unique. The MDX is just a great vehicle all around.

Well the RXs' claim to fame...is that it is one of the first cross over vehicles that basically made Lexus the number 1 selling luxury brand in 2000.

im not being defensive, but im going to try to convince this guy that he bought a good car. Its pros are, kinda smooth driving except for the transmission, relatively nice features. It was the first lexus with the adaptive lighting system as well as backup camera.

Funny, no one really mentions the Murano in this thread as an option, especially if the Hyundai is considered.

The Murano is very nice & I could probably afford a new one. It's one of those things where another family member just bought one & I wanted something different. Weird?