Weird Vibration When Driving My Es

Hello,

I've owned a 1998 Certified Pre-Owned ES 300 since 2002. The car has been great without a single issue although I will admit I didn't follow scheduled maintenance other than oil and filter changes.

Anyway, last summer I began to notice some "hum" and vibration while at a stoplight. I really didn't think much of it since the car was around 88K then and just learned to deal with it.

Then, after I hit 100K about two months ago, everything seemed to start going wrong. I was getting some intense shimmys when hitting my brakes at high speeds so I had to have my rotors resurfaced and one set of calipers on the front because they found a few hot spots. This wasn't done at the dealership rather at a local Firestone as I might drive a Lexus, but I don't make nearly the $$$ now of when I bought it to pay dealer labor rates.

I can't say it was the exact day, but I noticed shortly thereafter that I was feeling a lot of engine vibration in the acceleration pedal as well as the steering wheel would shudder around 60. Litterally, I can feel every rock in the road in the accelerator which has never been the case. If I get any faster, the steering whell really starts to shake to the point it looks to a passenger that my hands are shaking due to my nerves. It's to the point now that I don't really feel safe driving it on expressways as well as the engine vibration while idling has really became pronounced.

I don't know what else to do to get rid of this problem. Could it be a bad motor mount, the IACV, or something Firestone did? I've had the tires balanced twice, the front end aligned, and plan to have the timing belt replaced soon. I'm just not used to be this up close and personal with my engines many hums and really can only say I know something is wrong.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Hello,

I've owned a 1998 Certified Pre-Owned ES 300 since 2002. The car has been great without a single issue although I will admit I didn't follow scheduled maintenance other than oil and filter changes.

Anyway, last summer I began to notice some "hum" and vibration while at a stoplight. I really didn't think much of it since the car was around 88K then and just learned to deal with it.

Then, after I hit 100K about two months ago, everything seemed to start going wrong. I was getting some intense shimmys when hitting my brakes at high speeds so I had to have my rotors resurfaced and one set of calipers on the front because they found a few hot spots. This wasn't done at the dealership rather at a local Firestone as I might drive a Lexus, but I don't make nearly the $$$ now of when I bought it to pay dealer labor rates.

I can't say it was the exact day, but I noticed shortly thereafter that I was feeling a lot of engine vibration in the acceleration pedal as well as the steering wheel would shudder around 60. Litterally, I can feel every rock in the road in the accelerator which has never been the case. If I get any faster, the steering whell really starts to shake to the point it looks to a passenger that my hands are shaking due to my nerves. It's to the point now that I don't really feel safe driving it on expressways as well as the engine vibration while idling has really became pronounced.

I don't know what else to do to get rid of this problem. Could it be a bad motor mount, the IACV, or something Firestone did? I've had the tires balanced twice, the front end aligned, and plan to have the timing belt replaced soon. I'm just not used to be this up close and personal with my engines many hums and really can only say I know something is wrong.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

You should have bought new rotors, Your motor mounts are worn out. Have you replaced the timing belt ? Plugs and so on............

No, I plan to have the timing belt replaced in the next few weeks. Yes to new plugs at my last service.

I did have the car at the local Toyota dealer about a month ago after the entire "feeling every rock in the road issue," and besides the fact it was due for a timing belt (5yr or 90K as they said), they said all was OK and they couldn't find what I was talking about in regards to feeling every rock in the road.

Their service guy actually said it drove great for him which really bothered me as I took it in that day for that issue. That's when they changed the plugs and did a fuel system flush, which, in his words, would fix any issue if it was the IACV which I didn't believe for a moment after reading posts around here.

He never mentioned anything about the motor mounts. From the invoice of suggested maintenance repairs, it reads, in order of what he felt priority:

1) Replace timing belt and crank seals ($605)

2) Check the left front axle ($375)

3) Replace front struts and strut mounts ($990)

4) Total fluid exchange ($429)

So, as I mentioned, the above is right now more than I make in a little over a month so I asked for priority. He considered the timing belt paramount with the rest "a few months down the way to get ready for."

Thanks for the reply. And again, thanks for any input.

Chris

Hello,

You should have bought new rotors, Your motor mounts are worn out. Have you replaced the timing belt ? Plugs and so on............

wait a minutes

Do not go to the dealer for those.

Everything you need to do i've done or know about which was done to my es300

left axle was $140 installed at a ASE certified shop. Very well known here

Timing belt was $375 and replaced al belts what they were there.

the fluid exchange was $190 which i didint feel was needed

All new motor mounts, which are three of them for me was $185

front struts i need but not that worried about it was gonna be $650 for both.

Shop around

those prices are awfully high.

i just bought a used car that did the shake. i have a 1998 ES 300 and i noticed it when i was applying the brakes.

thankfully, i was introduced to a good mechanic who specializes in toyota cars. he asked, "was the shaking in the steering wheel or in the back?" i told him the skaking was in the steering. It turned out it was my front rotors. he replaced them with the toyota parts and $300 later i am riding pretty.

I'm feeling the vibes too when I drive at 35+ mph. I wanna take it in to get inspected, but dont want to pay money just to find out what it is.

If steering wheel oscilated (vibrated) when speed is above 35+ mph, you should have all tires rebalance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:whistles:

Dude nobody knows why we are getting pedal vibrationg while driving

i know im just hoping that maybe someone thats new to the forum might see this topic and know the answer. :(

I had a similar issue whereby I felt a shimmy in the front end as I drove down the road. It would start at about 20 miles per hour and then continue with increased speed even up to highway speeds. I had the front end aligned and the tires rotated and balanced, but I still couldn't eliminate the issue. I could feel the shimmy in my seat, in the brake pedal, steering wheel...you could feel it in the car. What was even more strange was that when I drove over lane markers the car would jerk to the left or right. I took it to a Lexus expert here in Dallas, fearing the worst that I had ball joint issues since I had just replace the ball joints on another vehicle. The Lexus Expert drove the vehicle and thought it might be something loose in the steering. After putting the vehicle up on the rack and inspecting suspension and steering components...their verdict: TIRES. I had Pirelli P3000s and they said they were the cause (out or round or something defective in the tire). Even with rotating the tires I still had the same issue. I got my advice from another member - his diagnosis from the start was correct - it was the tires.

Sooo...I bought a new set of Michelins, Xalto Pilots, even had the ride match done. The problem was solved for me and the car runs smooth without an issue. Hope this helps.

I would also think it is unablanced tires. If I remember correctly one axle affects the steering wheel and the other one shakes the body.

I have a big to do list for my car. It shakes like crazy from the tires being unbalanced, shakes even more from my warped rotors, and rides very rough from the worn struts. It has to be the most ghetto lexus in the area.

I had that problem as well, not in a Lexus but it ended up being a radial belt in one of my front tires was broken or something to that effect, no matter how many times the tires were aligned or balanced, it could not help the broken radial. Outwardly, the tire looked fine, but I could tell when I drove. Finally, I got new tires and sweet relief from that constant road feel. I don't know how one checks for something like that, but thats what it was for me. Good Luck. Jeff