Smart Key Remote Programming

I just bought an '06 IS350. The car came with one key and I was able to purchase another key off Ebay. The key needs to be recut and programmed.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the cost to get it cut and programmed.

Did you program it yourself? If so, is there a guide to explain how to program it.

Thanks,

Drew

The steel key is just for emergency use for unlocking doors and the trunk and locking the glovebox. I don't think there's any programming for that. All the other functions are with the keyfob itself. Sorry, but I haven't heard of anyone having to replace one of those yet. I guess the dealer could tell you what needs done, but then I'd try to find someone else to do it.

I had my key fob just stop working. It wouldn't even start the car when held by the Start button, yet the push buttons worked to lock/unlock the car. The dealer checked it out and ended up replacing it under warranty. They had to hook it up to some special programming equipment and it took about a half hour to do. I doubt if anyone other than the dealer can program it.

I was told to "never lose the key fob" because they are expensive to replace, and only Lexus will replace them. When you get the car new, there is a number engraved on a metal tag that comes on one of the keys. That is the number to replace the fob if you ever need to. I don't know how Lexus will replace it without that number. I'd call a dealer and find out.

• 2 months later...
I just bought an '06 IS350. The car came with one key and I was able to purchase another key off Ebay. The key needs to be recut and programmed.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the cost to get it cut and programmed.

Did you program it yourself? If so, is there a guide to explain how to program it.

Thanks,

Drew

Hi I know this is kind of an old thread but I was wondering what key can be purchased off of Ebay that would work on the IS350? I too bought a 06 model and only received one key and the local dealership quoted me $350 for a new key!

I would like to know how you resolved this, m&d, if you are still out there, somewhere.

I am having the same question. I just bought a used '06 IS250 with only one key. I then purchased a used Smart key from ebay. I went to my Lexus dealer and they just told me today that it is not the right one for IS250. I email back the ebay seller, and he said that my Lexus dealer just don't want to do it so I have to paid $400 to buy it from them.

Anyone know who's telling the truth? Is all smart key works for all lexus? or different model has different smart key?

Thanks in advance,

Benz

Thanks,

Drew

Hi I know this is kind of an old thread but I was wondering what key can be purchased off of Ebay that would work on the IS350? I too bought a 06 model and only received one key and the local dealership quoted me $350 for a new key!

I would like to know how you resolved this, m&d, if you are still out there, somewhere.

• 2 years later...

Thanks,

Drew

I don't know if you still care, but most likely the reason why the keys did not work is because they were used. I have a 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited that uses the same Smart Key system as the Lexus's do and I was also quoted a ridiculously high price for a single key. So, I ordered a key from ebay for about $60 and tried to get it programmed with no success by dealers and locksmiths. However, the locksmith just reset the system (Reset the ECU, I believe) and was able to add all of the keys needed. It was a fairly quick process about 10-15 mins. Just ask your locksmith to reset the ECU and then add the keys.

• 2 weeks later...