How True Is This Statement?

jetman

OH.....BOO HOO, these guys that drive RX's, want to tell themselves its a guy car.....but its a women thing.......in fact men look stupid driving around in them.........I will keep my pickup....

As far as SUV goes........some people clasify all vehicle as SUV if they have 4WD........but the RX has a weak 4WD system............

and I would never tow with this vehicle, but its a good women driver.......BTW most women are over 45 pushing 60.

he, he, he

OH.....BOO HOO, these guys that drive RX's, want to tell themselves its a guy car.....but its a women thing.......in fact men look stupid driving around in them.........I will keep my pickup....

As far as SUV goes........some people clasify all vehicle as SUV if they have 4WD........but the RX has a weak 4WD system............

and I would never tow with this vehicle, but its a good women driver.......BTW most women are over 45 pushing 60.

he, he, he

:lol: Yeah , I can picture you now, driving around in your pick-up truck, immeasurably raising the image of pick-up truck drivers everywhere.

Thanks for the laugh, you made my day :lol:

LOL... yeah, that was good for a laugh. Kind of fits along with what RX330driver said about making a vehicle a 'manly' ride... and when you're done with the beer in the cupholder, you can throw it out the window at an angle so it lands right in the truck bed. What a great invention, a drivable recycle bin (gotta be politically correct and recycle, since I live in Portland: a hippie/green hub)!

BTW Jetman, if the RX wasn't what you wanted, and the IS is, and you can/want-to afford it, then by all means you made the right choice. Hey, this country was built on choice... Pepsi or Coke... burgers or pizza. It's not like you bought ocean-front property in Montana or anything :P

It wasn't only my friend's comment. As much as I liked my RX, it just never "felt" right - I can't describe it any other way. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the quiet, smooth ride and the luxury features not found on my old Ford Explorer. It truly was the finest vehicle I've ever owned.

As long as it wasn't just the friend's comment.

Boo hoo, all these guys that drive pickups trying to tell themselves its a "guy thing" when in fact men just look like small schlonged poseurs driving around in them. I don't need the affirmation ;)

For the record, I don't actually care enough about what people drive to think any particular way about them because of it. Wanna drive a pickup, fine. Wanna drive a Miata? Fine. I just never miss an opportunity to point out hypocracy or irony ;)

I've owned a 2005 RX330 for a little over two years now. Without a doubt, it's the finest vehicle I've ever owned and 30,000 miles later, it runs and rides as well as the day it left the showroom.

However...

My best friend told me recently "You have a great car, but the only people you see driving them are old people and women." Now, I'm a single middle-aged (40+) male and I don't consider myself old yet, so I felt that what he said was somewhat insulting. That is, until I looked around and determined that what he told me seems to be, for the most part, true. The vast majority of the RXs I see are driven by older people or (even more so) by women. Now, when I look at my RX, I think that I would describe the styling as being rather "feminine", albeit very attractive nonetheless.

Even here on the forum, I see a number of posts referring to the RX as "my wife's car". Fellow forum members, what do you think? Who do you think the RX is primarily designed for? What is the target demographic? Did my friend speak the truth?

For what it's worth, after what my friend said I went out and traded my RX for an 07 IS 250 (it's coming in next week). A much more "masculine" car (IMHO) without sacrificing the Lexus quality and luxury I've grown accustomed to. Still, I'm going to miss my RX...must be my feminine side talking :)

Why are you so scared to drive a Lexus RX? I saw men wearing pantyhose,shaving underarms ...

Ah, I think the root of this thread is just personal choice... get what you like. I'm sure Jetman would feel a little differently about the IS's 'masculinity' if it showed up in a nice Mary-Kay pink, as would I. I hear him on find a vehicle that reflects his style and who he is... if the IS is a good fit, then by all means, go for it.

I had something similar happen to me years ago when I bought an Acura Legend coupe. It was a goreous black on black (I kind of have a preference for black cars) LS model with Enkei Fubuki rims on it. I was in college at the time and one of my roommates said, "Dude, that's kind of a chick's car." I felt the same feeling of, "Ugh, I don't want to drive a chick's car!!" but then I can see how it looks similar to the Prelude and it has nice 'pretty' lines, unlike the more rigid and cut lines of a Tahoe (which he drove). They gave me a lot of crap about it, but what ever, I liked it, and it was fun and fast. Plus, I was sure to point out every soccer mom we saw driving a Tahoe and comment, "Dude, don't you have to pick some kids up from soccer practice or something??" If he's going to dish it out, he best be able to take it ;)

BTW twinelmskao... where you been hanging out to see men wearing pantyhose and shaving their underarms? :huh:

• 2 months later...
For what it's worth, after what my friend said I went out and traded my RX for an 07 IS 250 (it's coming in next week). A much more "masculine" car (IMHO) without sacrificing the Lexus quality and luxury I've grown accustomed to. Still, I'm going to miss my RX...must be my feminine side talking :)

Hate to tell you this, the IS 250 is driven by a lot of women as well. I went from a 350z to a RX330 do I care what people think, no.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
definitely a chick car......

Truthfully whenever I see a guiy in an RX, I wonder what is wrong with his car since he's having to drive his wife's RX.

HOWEVER.... if you're loving your car, does it really matter? If it does matter, who are you worried about thinking you're in a "girls" car? Your buddies? From a female perspective, a guy in a fancy car such as a Lexus is a good thing. A guy having confidence in himself, also a good thing. The pros might outnumber the cons. :D

• 1 month later...

The fellow who asked the original question (are RX's for old people and/or women?) may be missing a big point: Half of the population are women and people over 40. Most 20 - 40 year old males cannot afford a LUXURY vehicle of any type, but for those who can, they generally buy whatever floats their boat. Everybody has their own criteria, and the choices are many. The "macho" look is but one criteria.

I bought my '04 RX330 for several reasons. First, because , at age 59 (yes, I'm an "old" guy) I have knee problems, the higher seats make getting in and out easier than a sedan. Much easier. Second, at my age, I can now comfortably afford to buy a $50K vehicle. Third, it gets me where I want to go in comfort, is inexpensive to operate and maintain, and fits in respectably with the Mercedes, BMWs, and other Lexus models at the county club. I can pretty much afford to buy whatever vehicle I want, which is what I did.

Wife's car...but I don't mind driving it, except it's a little cramped for me (6'5", 255 lbs), especially given how big it is on the outside. But definitely the SUV to buy your wife in my neighborhood (and she was 32 when I bought it for her).

But honestly, she was used to and liked her (rather brutish) 4Runner, so next time I'd think about getting her something more along those lines (whatever the Lexus version is when we're ready...I'm not paying $40k for a 4Runner and dealing with the Toyota dealer).

Me? I must be insecure...I drive a 435 HP SUV that'll run 13.5 in the quarter. But before that I had a CRV. So who knows? Maybe next week I'll buy a Honda Fit.

Aw Geez.. Not this Føøking thread again!!!

Me? I must be insecure...I drive a 435 HP SUV that'll run 13.5 in the quarter. But before that I had a CRV. So who knows? Maybe next week I'll buy a Honda Fit.

And, Yeah if you feel the need to state the above in this forum, I'd say you are a bit insecure ;)

• 1 month later...

Chick car. Most CUVs are designed for women, since women are roughly 50% of car buyers, but influence over 80% of buying decisions. That means if wife doesn't like it, "it ain't happenin." Recent article in Wash Post fully explored the phenomenon. Real men put beer and hot coffee between their legs, but women want lots of cup holders. Women want/need a place for purses. Vanity mirrors. Back seat dvd to keep kids occupied. Navigation (but men like that too since don't have to ask another person for directions). Dual heater controls (big plus for menopausal women). Backup camera since don't like turning around. Power seat. Auto wipers. Sit high for sense of empowerment. Reliable. Nice treatment/waiting area for service. Soft ride and safe cornering electronics. Adequate power. Main concessions/appeal to men that I can see are wide tires. Plus, the biggest appeal for me is the retained resale value. I'm driving our '05 330 at the moment, like (not love) it, and don't mind all of the above. However, the one feature that drives me crazy on all of these "chick oriented" CUVs is the undersized driver's seat. Too short and narrow for my tastes, unlike many larger European cars. But women with generally shorter "seats" (go "family chair shopping" sometime if you don't know what I'm talking about), different hip structure and much more padding love it, and Toyota is not stupid.

It is my wifes car, but had to meet the comfort needs of both of us. The RX300 is very comfortable on long trips, we bought it originally for a trip to North Carolina for the birth of our first grandbaby, loaded with baby stuff we were off, and made it there in 3 days. Yep, the next day our grandaughter was born, so this car was special, it took her home after she was born, and who knows, may be her first car when she is 16. That was 9 years ago, and the car other than the tranny has been wonderful.

As for chick car, yep, but I drive it with pride, it is in excellent condition with 146k miles and my wife says her co workers are amazed when she tells them the car is 9 years old. Yea the floor mats are worn, but maybe that will be a honey I love you gift next year. It still drives solid, and hopefully will for years to come. I want to change the rear lights to the LED s but money doesnt seem to go that way right now. Rear shocks next, and maybe some AMSOIL tranny fluid. Merry Christmas from the 57 year old husband of my younger wife RX300 owner.