Valentine 1 Installation, Would Like To Tap Power From Overhead Consol

As the title states, I'm doing a Valentine 1 radar detector installation, and I would like to tap power from the overhead console. The question is where.

Does anyone know which wire I can grab power from? I'm not an electrician, nor do I work for Lexus nor have the wiring schematic book.

I dropped down the overhead console and there are a few looms I can tap into. I need 12v thats on when the car is on, and off when the car is off. I don't want the LED power that goes on when merely the doors are open.

Anyone got any tips?

Overview:

DSC01732.JPG

One harness closeup:

DSC01731.JPG

Another harness closeup:

DSC01730.JPG

And another:

DSC01729.JPG

One more:

DSC01733.JPG

Another possible option, some sensor near the mirror:

DSC01737.JPG

How about here?

DSC01738.JPG

Thanks in advance.

I just found this which also clues me onto Grey.

1998 Lexus GS300/400 Stereo Information

Constant 12V+ Blue/Yellow

Switched 12V+ Gray

Ground Brown

Illumination n/a

Dimmer n/a

Antenna Rear Window

Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors

Left Front (+) Pink

Left Front (-) Purple

Right Front (+) Light Green

Right Front (-) Blue

Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Rear Door

Left Rear (+) Black

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Red

Right Rear (-) White

I just found this which also clues me onto Grey.

1998 Lexus GS300/400 Stereo Information

Constant 12V+ Blue/Yellow

Switched 12V+ Gray

Ground Brown

Illumination n/a

Dimmer n/a

Antenna Rear Window

Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors

Left Front (+) Pink

Left Front (-) Purple

Right Front (+) Light Green

Right Front (-) Blue

Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Rear Door

Left Rear (+) Black

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Red

Right Rear (-) White

I would not trust that wiring if I were you. When I was making the first attempt at installing an aftermarket stereo in my 00 gs300 I used that. Caused about $300 worth of damage and a trip to my friendly dealer.

I would not trust that wiring if I were you. When I was making the first attempt at installing an aftermarket stereo in my 00 gs300 I used that. Caused about $300 worth of damage and a trip to my friendly dealer.

Thanks Doja.

I have yet to cut any wires but looks like I might have to start probing them to find the right one for what I want to do.

Sucks about your stereo!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Doja.

I have yet to cut any wires but looks like I might have to start probing them to find the right one for what I want to do.

Sucks about your stereo!

You don't have to cut anything for the V1, it comes with the splicer, so if you mess up you can take it out and it'll be near impossible to tell where you spliced it. The V1 is also fused, and quite sensitively, so the only damage would be if you shorted wires. The other thing I forgot before is to make sure it is a switch power source (comes on only when car on), because other wise your v1 will be on 24/7. I would agree with Switched 12V+ Gray, and would also look for anything near the dome lights, becuase that should be a simple 2 wire system. Unless you're dead set on doing it this way, I would still suggest putting it near the fuse box, and running the phone line up the a-pillar, which you would have to do if you ever want to wire a concealed display (highly recommended). Check out radardetector.net, they can be your new best friends for all your rd needs.

Pics of a concealed display, this one I modified so that the colors are different, if you been using your v1 for a while you probably have a hard time distinguishing bands at night too, so the colors do wonders.

th_DSC04243.jpgth_close.jpgth_open.jpg

REB, that's one serious message board for radar detectors! Thanks for the link, I'd never been there.

Nice to see a subforum dedicated to the V1. There's a boatload of information I should read up and digest!

I still have not revisited my installation yet partly because I was deciding if I want the concealed interface or not.

Running the wire from the fusebox up the A pillar is certainly an option but I was seeking the lazy route if anyone knew a handy wire up on the overhead.

Great pics of your device, thanks for sharing.

Looks like I might be sending you a package shortly. :ph34r:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=23121

Yeah, thats one of my favorite forums, along with ls1gto.com. They have almost every single question you could have already answered, and some people know in depth the V1 circuitry. If you need any help or a display just let me know, currently have 5 in stock, they're selling like hot cakes.

I just received my new V1 for my 2 week old 07GS350... I am trying to do the same thing. I have done the wire splice for my other V1 on my other vehicle without a problem.

Here is what I have tried so far but not having luck finding a wire with power...

PIC 1 (general picture) - Have tried tapping into Mirror (pic 2), sunroof (pic 4), main wire grouping (pic 5)

Results below...

PIC 2 (mirror) - tried light orange, dark orange, & red wire. No luck only two left. Will try those today.

PIC 3 - have not tried, will leave to last if all else fails

PIC 4 (sunroof) - tried the gray, did not work. But then thinking about it. most likely none of these would work since the sunroof is activated using the console buttons.

PIC 5 (main) - tried gray but no luck.

PIC 6 - I Have not tried. i am assuming that this is a compass or external temperture monitor

PIC 7 - Have not and will not try since this is the phone mic.

Please add acomments of what you have found out. I will try the remaining two wire in pic 2. Since mirror turns automatically when the car is started.

I just received my new V1 for my 2 week old 07GS350... I am trying to do the same thing. I have done the wire splice for my other V1 on my other vehicle without a problem.

Here is what I have tried so far but not having luck finding a wire with power...

PIC 1 (general picture) - Have tried tapping into Mirror (pic 2), sunroof (pic 4), main wire grouping (pic 5)

Results below...

PIC 2 (mirror) - tried light orange, dark orange, & red wire. No luck only two left. Will try those today.

PIC 4 (sunroof) - tried the gray, did not work. But then thinking about it. most likely none of these would work since the sunroof is activated using the console buttons.

PIC 6 - I Have not tried. i am assuming that this is a compass or external temperture monitor

Please add acomments of what you have found out. I will try the remaining two wire in pic 2. Since mirror turns automatically when the car is started.

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to post this.

I haven't tried doing this yet as I had a feeling I would have some results like you have.

Your tone doesn't sound frustrated, but I can imagine how frustrating it would be trying all those wires to no avail.

:wacko:

I hope you tap it! lmk if you do!

Results below...

OK scratch the mirror harness... I am assuming that none of the wire were 12V.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am new to this site but I actually did install my V1 by tapping into the Mirror harness. I will have to pull mine apart to see what color it was but it works perfectly. Yes, it is a switched 12v as well. Sorry but is has been a while since I did it and I finally stopped shaking.

Results below...

OK scratch the mirror harness... I am assuming that none of the wire were 12V.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
you also have power in your rearview (if you have garage door opener on your rearview) tap into one of the ones that you don't use

Has anyone actually gotten this to work for them? 2006 GS430. I don't want to start splicing if it's not going to work.

Ok, for lack of answers I decided to attempt on my own. I wanted to use the overhead console to tap into. So I began to disassemble first by taking popping off the center piece of plastic directly above the rear view mirror. I bought the inviscord thinking i could just tap into the rear view mirror connections. After discovering no easy way to get at the wiring harness for the rear view mirror in the overhead compartment I moved on to another source. I decided to tap into the available cigarette lighter spare fuse location in the fuse box on the passenger side.

I went to Advanced Auto and bought a fuse tap. There is a great ground screw located directly in front of the fuse box right up against the firewall. I ran the Valentine One phone cord up the rear view mirror casing and inside the ceiling panel down through the A Pillar. I crossed over at the top or the A-Pillar seam to the outside and went underneath the rubber door trim and then finally down to the fuse box. This took me a good hour once I figured out what power source I was going to use.

My valentine One works great now with the power cord out of the way.

• 4 weeks later...