Gx470 Oil Filter Location

PVGXGuy

Recently bought my 1st Lexux, a GX470. Have always been a self-maintainer for oil, brakes, etc. Went into the engine compartment looking for the oil filter today and found it--after a while--but there's a shroud covering it from the bottom that appears to require 6-8 bolts to be removed to gain access to the filter. Am I missing something here or is this maintenance job going to be really time consuming? Any help appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
Recently bought my 1st Lexux, a GX470. Have always been a self-maintainer for oil, brakes, etc. Went into the engine compartment looking for the oil filter today and found it--after a while--but there's a shroud covering it from the bottom that appears to require 6-8 bolts to be removed to gain access to the filter. Am I missing something here or is this maintenance job going to be really time consuming? Any help appreciated

You need to remove 9 bolts and 1 fastener to get access to the filter. I recommend that you remove both plastic cover at the front and then metal one. Then you will see the filter. It is tight to get access to the filter because of the stabilizer bar.

Do not remove the back plate around the drain plug.

You need to remove 9 bolts and 1 fastener to get access to the filter. I recommend that you remove both plastic cover at the front and then metal one. Then you will see the filter. It is tight to get access to the filter because of the stabilizer bar.

Do not remove the back plate around the drain plug.

thanks much for the help.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I jsut got a gx470 and plan to change the oil myself. I found the filter on the drivers side in the front. Did you find you had to remove the skid plate. How many zerk fittings did you find that needed to be greased. Thanks, Al

• 2 weeks later...
do you get to it from the engine or underneath? I can't find the damn thing...a picture would be appreciated as well if anyone has one. thanks...

I find that I can reach it from the top just barely. I grab the filter wrench and slide it in to start it and then I can untwist with my hand. However, it is messy as the oil spills onto the skid plate so you get drops for a few days.

In order to have the oil wrench rotate easily once you you get hold of the filter, and in order to that you should have the Front Engine under cover and the Engine Main under cover removed. This would make things easier.

• 7 months later...

Since buying my GX, I've changed the oil and filter about 6 times. Each time, I've tried a different type of filter wrench - cap wrench, strap wrench, band wrench, etc. -- none of them work well With the filter located right above the transverse torsion bar, access is nearly impossible. This last time I used a slip-joint pliars type wrench like the one available from Harbor Freight Tools (P/N 36778) that sells for about $7. This wrench is able to grip the filter tight enough and turn it about 1/12 turn, and about 4-5 cranks is enough to loosen it so you can spin it off by hand. I usually buy replacement filters that have the non-slip coating on top (Fram among others feature this). The non-slip coating allows the filter to be hand-tightened sufficiently so that no wrench is needed for installation. Also, removing the counter-balance weight (2 bolts) that's beneath the filter during replacement provides a bit more clearance. In the automobile section of the nearby Walmart, I found a large metal tray (about 2' x 4') for about $10. Keeps the garage floor clean, and oil spilled on it wipes up with a few paper towels.