Fuel Filter Stuck!

My total dream car would be a right hand drive Soarer... however, to import one to Hawaii is going to cost me way too much than I can afford ((*Unless I somehow miraculously become famous overnight*))... I just recently got my '92 SC400, and I'm way happy.

See, my previous car was a '91 Nissan Maxima... The Lexus engine bay set up is so different from Nissan... And I love my car!!! ...which is why I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I go in there trying to fix something and wind up breaking it...

For some reason I'm having issues with my fuel filter. It won't come out!!! I'm wondering if the previous owner just didn't change it, and it's rusted in there... or, someone told me that it's not supposed to be changed ((*0.o which I find hard to believe*))... I really think it's rusted in there. What can I do?

-Ai

Thanks. I think I'm gonna take it in for the pros. I found out that Lexus made them difficult to come out... they're supposed to be good for 200k mi. or so... but... Yea... to avoid fuel injector complications like I had with my Maxima... I think I'm going to take my car in to the shop to have them change it anyway. It's not that expensive to replace.

Thanks.

-Ai

I can't understand why/how Lexus screwed up to over torque those fixtures onto the feul line...everyone has trouble getting them off. Good for 200 thousand miles...I don't think so.......... Lexus dealers I've contacted refuse to replace them..........

You need flare wrenches to make the removal easier. The fuel filter connectors were not over-torqued by the factory. The reason everyone has trouble getting them off is because the filter is not housed in a sealed enclosure, so they have been exposed to many elements, over hundreds of thousand miles.

use some wd-40 or liquid wrench or something, let it sit for a few minuites and then get some half nut wrenches (the kind for brake lines) and take it off. i didnt have any problem getting them off.

• 1 month later...

Hard to take off the fuel filter - well U got that right it's more than hard.

Lexus has made the fuel filters nearly impossible to remove - I had 2 or 3

mechanics remove my fuel filter when I was in Nevada at about 100K -

tried to have it removed here by the Lexus dealer in AC, NJ. they won't even

touch it. 200 K on a fuel filter my a** - the next time I'm going to have to get

a new fuel line from the tank to the filter just to make the change. REALLY

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS - its a piece of crap!!!!