Replacement Rotors

wlo0328

I'm about to replace the front rotors on my 92' LS400. What is a good replacement rotor (non OEM) that are good rotors (as good or better than the OEM) and without having to make any modifications. Are there any that are $300 or less for both front rotors ($150 for each rotor)? Also, would the rear rotors also need to be changed at the same time, since they are still the OEM rotors?

Thanks!!

I just installed new rotors a few weeks ago on my '92. I checked with my parts supplier and he found two brands, one of them Raybestos, that listed for $105.00 and $150.00 wholesale. I then checked with the Lexus dealer and they charged $140.00 list, $122.00 wholesale to me. I went with the Lexus part obviously. The prices are in Canadian dollars. The Lexus (Toyota) part has a ground finish, not turned, and is a beautiful thing. Absolutely true and flat out of the box, and works perfectly. I have never seen an aftermarket rotor so carefully made, and I have sold and installed hundreds over the years. The dealer Lexus mechanic whom I have got to know quite well says that all brake components on these cars should be factory only and I am inclined to believe him.

The rear brakes are a separate issue, and the rotors should be fine if you are getting a vibration through the steering wheel while braking. Replace the fronts only, and test drive the car. If the symptoms disappear, then you fixed it. If not, diagnose further.

I would totally agree. Stick with OEM. The last time I bought Ikuta rear rotors made in Japan. The are fine just a bit more rustier then OEM.

The only non OEM rotors my Toyota mechanic recommended was made by Brembo. They don't do the front ones, I think. Again, we are talking nondrilled nonperformance ones only.

I have 175K on my 90 LS400 and I do all my own brake work. I have used non-OEM rotors from NAPA and found that they work well but they do seem to warp a bit easier than the OEM but they are almost half the price. I figured I could get more life out of two NAPA sets than 1 OEM so that is what I have done. The big difference I have noticed is in the pad material. Stick with OEM here! Also, replace them before they get too low since heat dissipation is a pads 2nd biggest job and when they get low, more heat is retained in the rotor and they warp faster. As far as rear brakes go, I just did a complete rear brake job for the first time at 153K. I replaced rotors, pads, and parking brake shoes. The car was getting a vibration under braking and since I had just replaced the fronts, I figured it must be the rears and sure enough it was. Believe it or not, there was still a good bit of pad left on the rears. The parking shoes make life interesting if you decide to replace them in addition to the rear rotors/pads. Let me know if you need any tips on it.

Chet