Brake Bleeding On A Gs

I just replaced the rear brake pads on a 2001 GS. After replacing the pads I tried to bleed the brakes. I was kind of *BLEEP*ed because I have a pressure tank bleeder and I couldn't use it because of all the crap surrounding the master cylinder. I had to do it the manual way with my wife stepping on the brake pedal while I handle the bleeder. Surprised that nothing happened. Until you turn the ignition on and then an electric pump starts the flow of the brake fluid. Easy way to bleed the brakes but surprised.

I have never worked on a Lex other high end car before, my next newest car still uses rear drums so I was also surprised that the rear disc system had a piston on each side. I was wondering how I was going to get my C-clamp on the piston to push it back in. Went in by hand. More surprise. I know, I'm from the stone age but happy with the Lex. Now if I can only save enough money for another one for my wife so I can have this one.

Dang, is that the 'stoneage' way to do it now? Lol That's the only way onmy honda HAHa, it's a lot easier though if you get a handheld vacuum pump, then no need to have someone press onthe breaks :)

• 1 year later...
I just replaced the rear brake pads on a 2001 GS. ...you turn the ignition on and then an electric pump starts the flow of the brake fluid. Easy way to bleed the brakes but surprised.

Am I reading this right? You don't need to do the manual brake press routine? There is an electric pump that will pump out the brake fluid? So I could just add new fluid, open up a bleeder valve, and then switch the ingition on? That would be very cool.

I just replaced the rear brake pads on a 2001 GS. ...you turn the ignition on and then an electric pump starts the flow of the brake fluid. Easy way to bleed the brakes but surprised.

Am I reading this right? You don't need to do the manual brake press routine? There is an electric pump that will pump out the brake fluid? So I could just add new fluid, open up a bleeder valve, and then switch the ingition on? That would be very cool.

Can anybody speak to this?

Can anybody speak to this?

I was the original poster but to tell you the truth my memory just ain't what it use to be. Hopefully someone that has done this recently will clarify. What I do remember on my 2001 GS300, with bleeder valve open on rear brake, stepping on pedal will do nothing. You have to turn ignition on to get fluid to flow. What I don't remember is if you have to step on the pedal with ignition on to get it to start to flow (ie does the system have to sense negative pressure). But there is definitely an electric pump that makes this easier than the 2 person "up/down" method. Just make sure not to run out of fluid in the reservoir when you do this.

I was the original poster but to tell you the truth my memory just ain't what it use to be. Hopefully someone that has done this recently will clarify. What I do remember on my 2001 GS300, with bleeder valve open on rear brake, stepping on pedal will do nothing. You have to turn ignition on to get fluid to flow. What I don't remember is if you have to step on the pedal with ignition on to get it to start to flow (ie does the system have to sense negative pressure). But there is definitely an electric pump that makes this easier than the 2 person "up/down" method. Just make sure not to run out of fluid in the reservoir when you do this.

Interesting. Did you flush the brakes by yourself without using a brake flush kit or a second person? That would be great.

Interesting. Did you flush the brakes by yourself without using a brake flush kit or a second person? That would be great.

Like I mentioned, I could not use my pressure bleeder, I guess that's what you mean by a flush kit. I did do mine without a second person but I think it would help if there was because you do want to watch both ends, one to make sure fluid is pumping and one to make sure the reservoir doesn't empty. That being said, I don't remember exactly the steps I took. Maybe you should do it and report your steps while they are still fresh in your head.

• 1 month later...

Like I mentioned, I could not use my pressure bleeder, I guess that's what you mean by a flush kit. I did do mine without a second person but I think it would help if there was because you do want to watch both ends, one to make sure fluid is pumping and one to make sure the reservoir doesn't empty. That being said, I don't remember exactly the steps I took. Maybe you should do it and report your steps while they are still fresh in your head.

Well I just did the rears again today so I thought I'd add this while it is fresh. I only got 30K miles on my rear pads, probably could have waited a couple of months but once you inspect them you might as well do the job. The rear pads are half the size so I guess that makes sense they don't last as long. So for a 2001 GS300, if you open the bleeder valve, turn the ignition on (don't start engine) and step on the brake, the electric pump for the brake system will pump the fluid out. It will pump as long as you keep the pedal down. It will drain the reservoir quickly but a warning beep will sound when the fluid gets low. So from topping off the reservoir to the beep, it took about 4 refills to drain about a pint of brake fluid out (I'm guessing a little over a cup out of each rear brake). The fluid looked pretty good so I didn't drain more. It does help to have someone step on the brake while you open/close the bleeder.