Temp Gage Reading?

oldls400

Hi: I have a 90 model LS 400 with appx 215k on it. Over the last year or so the temp gage has slowly appeared to show the car running cooler and cooler. Now, after about 10 min. the gage will move from rest to just barely above the first hash mark, and stay there - no matter how hot outside, AC or not etc. Thinking the temp sender was bad, I just changed it and it had no effect whatsoever. While changing it I tested the gage by grounding the wire and the gage immediately pegs to the high side - which would seem to indicate the gage is working properly. The car runs fine otherwise, but I really don't like the idea of driving around not knowing true eng. temp. It can't possibly be running that cool. Anybody have any ideas? :unsure:

Coolant temp sensor could be bad or you might need a new thermostat (stuck open).

bdjh

My 92 did same thing. Barley moved past first hash mark. Replaced thermostast solved my problem. Usually they are designed to stick open when they go bad to prevent engine from overheating.

You guys may be right , but I can't believe the car could run that cool even with the t-stat stuck wide open. If I ever get around to changing it I'll post the results.

By the way I just did the power steering pump rebuild using the info here on the site and it went great! Its been leaking for years and the car was really a mess underneath but its done now and good to go. never did kill the alternator so I guess I just got lucky. Thanks!