Height Control Problem

MRDMD19

I'm having a problem with my 98 LX470. Went outside to go to church Sunday morning and found the rear completely jacked up. I have the Lexus service manuals and decided to remove the rear height control sensor. The local Lexus delaer believes it to be the problem after speaking with him. I unfortunately broke the linkage nut (rusted) upon removing it. I tested the sensor as per the manual and it seems to give voltages high to low opposite what the manual says it should do...but the sensor (potentiometer) does change voltages produced. The highest position does not produce as high a voltage as the manual says it should. I thought I would try to trick it and ny-tied the armature to the middle position and stuck it back into the trunk, but this seemed only to work for 1/10 mile, before the truck rasied back up. The trunk does raise and lower as the armature is put into different positions....I don't know what to do! Any thoughts?

You're not hauling anything heavy in the back are you? The air suspension system tends to raise the vehicle up when there's a heavy load, to level the vehicle. I once carried about 25 boxes of laminate flooring, of 20lbs each (about 500 lbs), in the back of my GX. Once I drove off, the air suspension raised to a point that the back wasn't sagging down after I loaded it. Once the flooring was unloaded, the rear of my GX was raised to the highest position!

But if that's not the problem, then I do not exactly know what your specific problem is. :unsure:

You're not hauling anything heavy in the back are you? The air suspension system tends to raise the vehicle up when there's a heavy load, to level the vehicle. I once carried about 25 boxes of laminate flooring, of 20lbs each (about 500 lbs), in the back of my GX. Once I drove off, the air suspension raised to a point that the back wasn't sagging down after I loaded it. Once the flooring was unloaded, the rear of my GX was raised to the highest position!

But if that's not the problem, then I do not exactly know what your specific problem is. :unsure:

I have had two lexus dealers trying to determine what the problem is with the height control. i have a 2000lx470. The sensors have been changed three times. The latest two fixes have been to change the fluid that controls the system. The thought was that the fluid had moisture in it. How many miles on the truck?

Unlike the GX, the LX suspension is hydraulic. I'd still suspect the AHC height sensors have failed due to rust. I notice you live in the rust belt (I lived in Ithaca for 6 yrs, worked in Rochester one summer). If you were to put a heavy load on the rear of the LX (like a trailer), left the engine running while jacking up the trailer (to relieve the tongue weight), you'd see the rear end lower. I think it would only jack up the rear if the engine were off while you removed the load. I would still guess sensors. The newer sensors reportedly are not as good in build quality as the older ones. Some guys seal theirs up w/ caulk.

• 12 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a lexus lx470 2002 year model but suddenly the AHC stopped working for example when i go the raise the height the AHC light blinks that it goes on high but the car neither does climb it just stays at (N) i need some help cause the car just recently came back from servicing and this started happening i took it back to the dealer ship they reset the suspension actuators but one day later the same thing happens .

plz help me