Subwoofer

redhawks2

Yes it is, in mine it is a 8 inch pioneer, pretty cheap one at that. A shop can put a new one in for you or you can easily do it at home. Many companies now do not even make 8 inch subs. The only ones I know that do are memphis.

How did you verify that?

Just purchased my '92 LS400 and it has the standard AM/FM Casette system. The sound is nothing to rave about but I'm very reluctant to change the appearance of the dash by installing a new aftermarket unit. I agree that replacing the stock subwoofer which has a very small magnet should help the base output. Any suggestions for a recommended subwoofer? Also upgradeing the four midrange speakers should make a big difference. As far as I can tell it does not have the two small tweeters or at least I can't hear them. Any idea how many watts output for the stock system? Hopefully just replacing all the OEM speakers will make a big difference in sound quality. Four Door.

Verfy that not many companies make 8 inch subs or that it was a pioneer? Well most companies only make 10inch and up now, and I live in a small town far from an bigger centers leaving me with two options, order one from the internet, or buy the only one I can get in through my local stereo shop, a Memphis. :unsure: thats the verifaction. and the Pioneer is 11 years old that is in my car and probably really dry and weak by now.

Verify that its a Pioneer.

p.s. The stock stereo in my 97 LS is the best "stock" system I have ever heard to date. It absolutely rocks. B)

I joke to my friends that living is blasting Eazy-E in a luxury sedan. ;)

Verify that its a Pioneer.

p.s.  The stock stereo in my 97 LS is the best "stock" system I have ever heard to date.  It absolutely rocks.  B)

I joke to my friends that living is blasting Eazy-E in a luxury sedan.  ;)

Yeah it says Pioneer on the bottom of it. but my LS is a 92 without the Cd changer and has the pioneer system in it. I would have to agree with you on the blasting Eazy in the Lex. :lol:

The subwoofer in our '90 is blown, and the guys at car toys, best buy, and a local place said if we replace it, we have to get a whole new amp, and that if we're going to do that, we should get all new speakers too.

The only other option they said is to order the OEm replacment from lexus, around $230.

So is this true?

You can't just replace the subwoofer?

(The car has the premium sound system, I don't know if that makes a difference)

Diana I have a '92 LS400 with the premium sound system, the subwoofer works but has very little base output. I saw a post that the factory sub could be replaced with a aftermarket freeair subwoofer that would have much better output and there was no mention of having to add a amp. Just upgradeing the stock speakers should make a major difference in the sound quality without getting into changeing the whole system, sounds like they want you to spend a bundle of cash. If I can find the post with the recommended freeair subwoofer I will advise. Four Door.

Another option I might try is my old Bazooka 8" tube subwoofer thats sitting in my seller. It's an 8" subwoofer in a tube with a built in amp and crossover. The installation is fairly simple and should put out much better base then the stock Lexus subwoofer in the 90-92 LS400 equipped with the premium sound system. Four Door.

97 one has a Nakamichi system and the sub i think is 10 inch. Guys most cars dont come with any kind of sub in the factory system. so even old pioneer system might sound better then some cheap aftermarket "upgrades". if you change ur factory sub to smth else it might not work properly with the factory amp. you need to verify the power and resistance for the sub unit before installing it. otherwise you can screw the amp and they are pretty expensive.

Just a quick note.....often times with subwoofers it is not the speaker that is blown but the amp. If they are saying to replace the amp it may be because it is blown and not the speaker (the LS400 has a separate amp for the sub). You can always start by replacing the speaker and then, if that does not improve things, replace the amp too. As a note though, the factory amp does not have much punch so don't expect solid bass by just replacing the speaker.

Good luck,

Chet

My question is, has anyone here actually replaced the factory sub or amp with something else and gotten better bass (lowend) response?

I have a 1994 LS400, and it has the Pioneer system with changer, and the sound is OKAY, nothing to write home about. But the lowend (bass) is absolutely terrible. I'm very UNIMPRESSED. I'm very interested in adding better bass to my Lex, but don't want to change the factory look of the dash either. B)

If anyone has ever changed the AMP or the SUB - PLEASE LET US KNOW. and post pictures if you have any.

Toaster and others interested in subwoofer and amp upgrade I will check a local mobile audio shop that stocks the SAS Bazooka tubes to see if installation in LS400 is feasable and effective and report the results. Sounds like the stock amp/subwoofer if repaired/replaced with OEM parts would not sound all that great. If their is a seperate amp for the stock subwoofer I beleive they can bypass it and feed off the midrange speakers. Four Door.

I noticed that mine was replaced by the prev owner with a Radio Shack sub. It seems to sound "ok" but it's nothing special as you can imagine. Just go to a car audio store and get a replacement. Not Rat Shack if it all possible... Don't copy my "setup"... <_<

Does anybody know where the amp for the subwoofer lives? I'm considering replacing it with a more powerful amp and sexier subwoofer so I can get more full time bass without having to turn up the volume. I did this in my other car and what a difference!!

actually i think my 1991 ls400 factory sound system sound great compared to other stock systems i have heard. my sub is also blown out too and i heard it can be replaced by a 8inch even though i am very sure that the factory sub is only a 6inch. did anyone have any problems fitting the cover back on with a new 8inch sub? (based on even though it was a 6icnh sub!)

• 9 years later...