20 Ways You Waste Money On Your Car...

Regan

Not a bad article, but probably not intended for the type of person that owns a Lexus, more than likely it is intended for Cavalier and Lumina owners.

At the same time, the Toyota red coolant is a long life type, and if you are using it, ( I wouldn't use the green regular coolant at all) a one year change interval is a bit short. It can easily provide protection for three years. Of course you aren't causing a problem changing it early, and if it gives you peace of mind, then its worth it.

I think that at least 60% of the advice they give I'd agree with, even for a Lexus owner. For instance, if its not free Lexus will not change my oil, regardless of how many pastries I can eat, or how many miles I can put on the loaner, $100 for an oil change, a NON SYNTHETIC oil change is rediculous. I have a place up 270 thats a quick lube, run by a real nice guy who'se a car nut, I get a synthetic change for $29.99 and I bring my own Lexus oil filter. It takes 15 minutes and I can just sit in the car. Nobody ever has to drive my car but me. Its great!

Oh and they have doughnuts too lol

A lot of people overinsure, and it doesn't do anything for you because if you total the thing, they'll only pay you NADA book even if its $6500 and the vehicle is insured for its new price of 40 grand. Lots of people think insurance policies lower it themselves as the car ages. Them pass up on free money? Come on.

Premium gas instead of regular, when the manufacturer specifies regular is a huge waste of cash.

As for things I don't agree with, 3,000 mile oil changes being too much. I now, even with synthetic oil, change the oil every 3k miles. Why? Its only $30, it gives me peice of mind, lets me and the techs get a look in there and spot anything going wrong.

Using the dealer's maintenance schedule instead of the factory's. Usually the dealer (Including Lexus dealers) follow the severe maintenance schedule. I always do too. Mainly because its my $40,000 investment, and if it makes me feel better to follow the strictest maintenance schedule, then I will. Doesn't cost you more, just costs you sooner.

Changing your antifreeze every winter. Again, why not?

I have the cooling system and transmission fluid flushed every two years. I also alway change my own oil and use sythetic oil. I by a case of Valvoline synthetic at Pep Boys for about 26 0r 27 dollars, and a Fram X-2 filter for 10. At every oil change, I also detail the engine. People always say, "man, how'd you get the engine so clean?" I reply, it never was dirty. My engine pictures are in the gallery. Sure beats watching stupid shows on TV.

hmmmm......why does the oil change cost so dang much at the Lexus dealer?

I am thinking of buying a '04 LS430, but I got a slight case of sticker shock (not from the car....but from the oil changes!)

Is the engine so radically different from, say, a Camry? (my current ride)

I know its a better, more powerful engine, but is the oil change process that much different?

Well, on my '99 it takes twice as long because you have to unscrew 20 or so bolts and screws to get the damn splash guard out of the way!

Dear Lexus Engineer: here's a hint, split the splash guard so that you have a small piece below the damn oil filter with a pivot and a couple of screws that would swing out of the way! How hard would it be to figure that out?

Nevertheless, it really ought to cost about the same for any car. $100 is ridiculous; just do it yourself or go to a place with good oil and filters or take your own to them.

Well there isn't anything harder about changing the oil on a Lexus vs any other car. The engine is totally different from a camry, but thats another discussion lol.

Most places will charge you the normal rate plus $5 or $10 shield charge for the time it takes to pull the shield down. The $100 is just Lexus' labor rate, you pay for the marble floors, leather chairs, pastries and free loaners. No such thing as a free lunch.

Here's what I do, there's a place up 270 kinda like a Jiffy Lube but much better. You pull the car in, in 15 minutes the oil change is done. I get a synthetic change (the $100 Lexus change is standard oil)for about $40 and I supply my own Lexus oil filter. Nobody ever has to sit in or touch my car.

Now, when its something bigger like a 15k or 30k service I let Lexus do it, feeling the extra cost is worthwhile because of the "free" loaner.

No reason to be afraid of the repair bills on the LS, the scheduled service from lexus is rediculous, but you can have it done anywhere at 40% of the Lexus cost.