Windshield Washer Tank Removal/replacement

leximus

I replaced the washer fluid pump at the bottom of the tank, but didn't remove the tank. I would think it'd be pretty straightforward.

How'd you accomplish that without taking out the tank? Did you have to go through the front driver-side wheel wall? You didn't have to take off your front bumper, did you? I bought a plastic tank repair kit, but I'm unsure of the size of the hole in the tank. Any help would be beneficial. Please let me know and thanks again!

it's been a couple of years since i did it, but i'm sure i didn't remove the bumper. As best i can remember i just removed the undercover (the cover under the engine that you remove to do oil changes) and was able to access the bottom of the tank. Sorry but i don't have a repair manual PDF that shows the tank. Maybe someone else can chime in. You may have the same issue i had - the washer pump was the source of the leak and not the tank itself.

it's been a couple of years since i did it, but i'm sure i didn't remove the bumper. As best i can remember i just removed the undercover (the cover under the engine that you remove to do oil changes) and was able to access the bottom of the tank. Sorry but i don't have a repair manual PDF that shows the tank. Maybe someone else can chime in. You may have the same issue i had - the washer pump was the source of the leak and not the tank itself.

I actually poured in a gallon of water to see if the leak was still present and it just comes out the bottom, so I'm not sure if it's the washer pump. Thanks again for your help!

Anyone else have information on how to remove the washer tank?

I found the answer by subscribing to techinfo.toyota.com (best 10.00 ever spent for a repair manual - hundreds of pdf's though). Here are the instructions:

(Washer Motor and Tank)

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF WASHER

MOTOR AND TANK

1. REMOVE WASHER TANK AND WASHER MOTOR

a. Remove fender liner.

b. Disconnect connector and hose.

c. Remove three nuts and tank.

d. Separate tank and washer motor.

2. INSTALL WASHER TANK AND MOTOR

For installation follow the removal procedure in reverse.

Thanks for your efforts guys.

• 3 years later...

Do you have the pdf of how to remove the tank? I am going to attempt this soon to get rid of the low fluid light on my dash. I think the float inside is done.

I found the answer by subscribing to techinfo.toyota.com (best 10.00 ever spent for a repair manual - hundreds of pdf's though). Here are the instructions:

(Washer Motor and Tank)

MOTOR AND TANK

a. Remove fender liner.

(Washer Motor and Tank)

MOTOR AND TANK

a. Remove fender liner.

one of my old 95's was a leaker, and I removed the liner also, and the 3 bolts ..my pump was missing, got one from Sewell,, put it in and it didnt work, took it out, returned it to Sewell for refund, put it back together, carried it to the auto auction and sold it.

no more problem..... it was the gray one..