Microfiber Recommendations

I am in the process of switching over from 100% cotton to microfiber. Which towels/mitts/applicators should I purchase and from where? What should I stay away from?

Go on autopia and search. There are WAY to many sites, MF kinds etc. But for a mitt I use Chinamarts oine for $5; ised only for ONR. I hate towels with tags or hard edges.

I am in the process of switching over from 100% cotton to microfiber. Which towels/mitts/applicators should I purchase and from where? What should I stay away from?

Go on autopia and search. There are WAY to many sites, MF kinds etc. But for a mitt I use Chinamarts oine for $5; ised only for ONR. I hate towels with tags or hard edges.

Thanks for the recommendation, I genuinely appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I offer a tip? I would let the microfiber air dry after washing. I am really kicking myself because I have spent over $100 on microfiber and most of my towels have turned hard just from using the lowesst heat setting on the dryer. I have seen an increase in the amount of marring after washing, and now I have to start over from scratch again.

Can I offer a tip? I would let the microfiber air dry after washing. I am really kicking myself because I have spent over $100 on microfiber and most of my towels have turned hard just from using the lowesst heat setting on the dryer. I have seen an increase in the amount of marring after washing, and now I have to start over from scratch again.

Microfiber Washing Directions:

Use hot (120oF<) water and add 1-2 ounces of liquid to a standard size (8 gallon) load, for larger loads or heavily soiled laundry, add 3-6 ounces. As a pre-spotter: dilute 1 part concentrates with 3 parts water, apply to stain and launder as usual. The main reason why liquid fabric softeners and dryer sheets are not compatible with automotive towels is that they do not in fact soften, but coat the towel surface with silicone, which produces a smooth slippery surface that reduces the fabrics ability to remove excess wax or to effectively buff and absorb. The fabric will also deposit these chemicals onto you vehicle's surface. The towel will treat the fabric softener as if it was dirt by trying to store the tiny particles of the softener in the towel fibres. This will clog up the micro fibres and render the towel ineffective.

Optional those Eco soft® dryer balls (Green Lane products Ltd) work wonders on keeping them soft, plumb and cutting down on lint

Add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar as a softener, the vinegar doesn't coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue and the acid counteracts any alkaline minerals in the water supply. Vinegar (Acetic acid, pH=2) works well in the rinse cycle to make your towels softer. Detergent is an alkaline (pH=12, the opposite of acidic on the pH scale).When you wash your towels (or anything for that matter) there are small amounts of detergent left behind, when your add Vinegar it balances the pH of the solution and helps removes the excess detergent from the wash.

Do not wash micro fibre cloths / towels with other non- micro fibre fabrics, as they will pick up lint from other fabrics. Air dry or you can dry micro fibre cloths / towels in any dryer on low heat, remove them before they are still damp (cuts down on static charge) Colours may bleed during first washing.

Information resource- (http://www micofibertech.com

For OTC products I go to Target for the Vroom brand. Lots of selections to choose from. I use the grey colored one for polishing the car paint. I have a few others for windows, these have a thinner quality.

I use the cheap MF towels from Walmart or Autozone on the wheels.

For drying the car after wash, I use the Waffle Weave towel. I use the towel to dab the paint to minimize scratches.

For wash mitt, I still like the lamb wool type. (I also use a foam gun and two bucket washing method - see autopia.org for details)