Good Idea? Not So Sure...

I work hard for my money. I just bought a 350. And I saw a guy with a 250 with an HKS exhaust and 35hp dry shot NX kit. Will either of these void my warranty. And is nitrous really a good idea on a brand new $43,000 car?

Thanks. Sorry to be such a newbie at this stuff. But I've always had nice cars. Just sold my 07 Accord. But now I want a fast car damn it. lol

He said, that while he did not buy the exhaust from the dealer, they did install it so it would be covered if I followed suit. He also told me that He installed the dry shot and the Injen intake himself.

I liked the sound of the exhaust. I'd really like to buy one. I used to have a nitrous intercooler on my WRX. But I also had no warranty. And I had a shop do it. So I guess I'm just looking for some help in the matter.

If the IS350 isn't fast enough, then maybe you need a Vette or something. Seriously, if you start playing with nitrous, you're up the creek warranty wise.

Well nitrous is a lot of bang for the buck. I mean, I'm by no means an expert which is why I'm posting for help. But 35 hp dry shot sprayed through a single nozzle tapped into a cold air intake requires no modifcations to the fuel delivery system or really anything else at all. So I can see how it would dump my warranty. But it's still a lot of power per dollar.

• 2 weeks later...

35 shot is not a big deal and no, you wouldn't need a tune. It would be good to scan it though while spraying just to make sure. Dry shots are the safest for what you want.

And as for the warranty... you can pull off the nozzle, feed line, and bottle in about 15 mins. Then take it in. Most warranties specify "if the damage can be directly linked to the modification...".

• 3 weeks later...
I work hard for my money. I just bought a 350. And I saw a guy with a 250 with an HKS exhaust and 35hp dry shot NX kit. Will either of these void my warranty. And is nitrous really a good idea on a brand new $43,000 car?

Thanks. Sorry to be such a newbie at this stuff. But I've always had nice cars. Just sold my 07 Accord. But now I want a fast car damn it. lol

He said, that while he did not buy the exhaust from the dealer, they did install it so it would be covered if I followed suit. He also told me that He installed the dry shot and the Injen intake himself.

I liked the sound of the exhaust. I'd really like to buy one. I used to have a nitrous intercooler on my WRX. But I also had no warranty. And I had a shop do it. So I guess I'm just looking for some help in the matter.

I have had the HKS exhaust installed on my IS 350. I ordered it through Lexus and had it installed. I did find out afterwards that Lexus doubles the price on the exhaust... but without a HKS dealer in Tennessee... I really didn't have a choice. But, as for the warranty... since I ordered it through Lexus and had the Lexus dealership install it... not only did it not void any part of my warranty... it is actually covered by the 4-year/50K warranty. (as long as I'm reading the fine print on the Lexus website correctly)

I had it installed for the exhaust note and look of the exhaust pipes not the increase to hp. I absolutely love it.

• 7 years later...

Sorry to be resurrecting a old post but.... I have a 08 IS350 and I have questions about NOS. 1) Why would you want a dry shot? That is the cheapest and most dangerous kit. 2) How would one run Nitrious on our ECU's that are not tunable? If i ran NOS, I would want a WOT switch and the system would be wet. Complications would be with the car trying to pull my throttle back when it senses *BLEEP* it doesnt like. Also, the O2 sensors reading too much fuel and pulling back my fuel...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...