2000 Rx 300 Rusted Rotors

sclayman

I own at 2000 RX 300 with 36,000 miles on it. On my recent visit to the dealership for a check up, I was told alll four rotors need to be replaced as they have rusted out. I have never owned a car that needed new rotors after only 36,000 miles. Lexus is saying it is environmental wear and tear. I say, BS! Anyone else out there had the same problem?

you obviously do not drive the rx much

it must get wet often and left to dry

possible outside alot?

in that case it can rust more than usualy as the moisture attracts to the bare metal and rusts away

as it does with any car

but if the car is driven a bit it will keep the parts drier atleast

I purchased my RX300 used and requested all records from the previous dealer. The rear rotors were changed under waranty after three years of usage for the previous owner! However, they were probably warped as well! Go to a quiet location and try a few emergency stop from 40-50 MPH. Please do this in a well controlled area away from children/ditch/trafic/power poles.

The performance of the rear brakes may decrease with time if they are not well maintained/lubricated. Sliders and pins need seasonal lubrication. Rust may be an incication of reduced performance. Try to do some brake maintenance before spending too much money for new parts. Personnaly, I always do all my front/rear brake maintenance in Oct. and rear brakes in Apr.

Good luck