Rattles Everywhere!

Shredmonster

I have had the dealer secure the license plate, some brackets on the trunk closure mechanisms, rear seat track.

Now getting more rattles. Speakers, front dash and I think the seat is acting up again because I have a new rattle in the back.

I just turned over 50,000 miles.

WTF? The car runs great but I have never seen a car rattle like this. Seems Lexus has as many problems as GM or any other manufacturer so what am I getting for the extra money I am spending on a Lexus?

Unfortunately, a very common complaint. If you haven't done so yet, search this forum using "RX330 rattles" as your key words. You should find many different threads covering this subject over the past few months. Some folks have had success finding and fixing them, others haven't. My wife's 2004 model had one particularly annoying rattle in the dash that the Lexus techs found and fixed with additional foam insulation. Now, sometimes her rear seat armrest mechanism chatters and sometimes it doesn't. That's on our list of warranty items to get resolved before she rolls over the 50,000-mile mark probably by the end of June.

I'm just glad I don't have to drive the thing....

• 3 weeks later...
I have had the dealer secure the license plate, some brackets on the trunk closure mechanisms, rear seat track.

Now getting more rattles. Speakers, front dash and I think the seat is acting up again because I have a new rattle in the back.

WTF? The car runs great but I have never seen a car rattle like this. Seems Lexus has as many problems as GM or any other manufacturer so what am I getting for the extra money I am spending on a Lexus?

I have a 2000 RX300 with over 78,000 miles on it. I had a lot of front and rear rattle noises and became obsessed with eliminating all those irritating noises. I went to Home Depot and purchased 1" and 2" felt buttons and long narrow strips of form insulation that is normally used around door openings. I also purchased carpet padding and packaging material. I applied the felt buttons and form pads to and around wires and connection points in the following areas:

• Rear brake light assembly plastic conduit wiring
  • Tools and under the tire jack
  • On the back lining of the folding seats
  • Anywhere wires loosely touched plastic
  • Anywhere steel loosely touched steel
  • Liftgate brake wires and plastic lining
  • Inside the Side wall cavity

The four biggest things that eliminated most of the rattling noise were 1) placing some insulating pads inside the side cavity wall where the seat belt tensioner draws into the plastic wall, 2) since I drive solo most of the time, I make sure the front passenger belt is straight and has tension and the rear seat belts are nicely folded, 3) I spent a great deal of time cleaning the interior of the car and found deep and concealed under the rear seat, two baby toys including a plastic rattle that contains those small balls that make noise when you shake it, and 4) I wrapped all my tools and spare parts that are under the rear conpartment with micro-fiber towels that I purchased from Costco.

Now the vehicle interior is extremely quiet. Too quiet.

• 1 month later...

Name Guenther Date 06/16/07 I have purchased an RX 330 last year have about 20000 miles on it now and am very dissatisfied. Had it in for dash rattles 4 times. At times I have a rattle coming what I think is from the unoccupied passenger seat (not always present). I have been driving without anything in my centerconsole for the last six month to ensure its not my stuff that rattles. It drives me nuts. had it to the dealership twice already on this issue with no success. Does anyone know how to fix this.

Also do you have pictures on how you quited that thing down in the different areas. Would appreciate since i feel there is nothing worth then a rattle (It is bejond me that the US Auto industry and media is not all over this substandard performance)

I have a 2000 RX300 with over 78,000 miles on it. I had a lot of front and rear rattle noises and became obsessed with eliminating all those irritating noises. I went to Home Depot and purchased 1" and 2" felt buttons and long narrow strips of form insulation that is normally used around door openings. I also purchased carpet padding and packaging material. I applied the felt buttons and form pads to and around wires and connection points in the following areas:

• Rear brake light assembly plastic conduit wiring
  • Tools and under the tire jack
  • On the back lining of the folding seats
  • Anywhere wires loosely touched plastic
  • Anywhere steel loosely touched steel
  • Liftgate brake wires and plastic lining
  • Inside the Side wall cavity

The four biggest things that eliminated most of the rattling noise were 1) placing some insulating pads inside the side cavity wall where the seat belt tensioner draws into the plastic wall, 2) since I drive solo most of the time, I make sure the front passenger belt is straight and has tension and the rear seat belts are nicely folded, 3) I spent a great deal of time cleaning the interior of the car and found deep and concealed under the rear seat, two baby toys including a plastic rattle that contains those small balls that make noise when you shake it, and 4) I wrapped all my tools and spare parts that are under the rear conpartment with micro-fiber towels that I purchased from Costco.

Now the vehicle interior is extremely quiet. Too quiet.