Shimmy On Steering Wheel

I have a 1996 ES300 with 96K miles. I've noticed a slight vibration in the front end when driving at speeds above 30 mph. I had a both axels replaced at 84k miles.Usually I feel some minor vibration or shimmy through the steering wheel but more so in the body of the vehicle. It continues up to highway speeds but doesn't seem to be more profound at higher speeds. When driving over pavement markers (those hard plastic raised circles or squares on the pavement that mark the lanes on the road) the steering seems to over-respond, pulling to the left or the right, more so than what I experience in other vehicles. After having replaced the ball joints on another vehicle replaced (Ford Explorer 2002 with 75K miles) I've started to wonder if this is the same situation needing to be addressed. The car has been well maintained . There wasn't any mention at Lexus of the need to address ball joints at that time. At the last service internal they couldn't sense the problem with vibration. The car doesn't drift to the left or right when I have my hands off the steering, nor does it drift under braking.

Does this sound like an alignment or ball joint problem? And if it is ball joints, what needs to be replaced and does anyone have an idea as to what it might cost to replace?

Could it be my tires? I have Goodyear Assurance Triple Thread V rated tires about 95% tread left.

• 1 month later...

it might be your bushings on the front control arms... i am told that is a fairly common problem with these cars.

I have a 1996 ES300 with 96K miles. I've noticed a slight vibration in the front end when driving at speeds above 30 mph. I had a both axels replaced at 84k miles.Usually I feel some minor vibration or shimmy through the steering wheel but more so in the body of the vehicle. It continues up to highway speeds but doesn't seem to be more profound at higher speeds. When driving over pavement markers (those hard plastic raised circles or squares on the pavement that mark the lanes on the road) the steering seems to over-respond, pulling to the left or the right, more so than what I experience in other vehicles. After having replaced the ball joints on another vehicle replaced (Ford Explorer 2002 with 75K miles) I've started to wonder if this is the same situation needing to be addressed. The car has been well maintained . There wasn't any mention at Lexus of the need to address ball joints at that time. At the last service internal they couldn't sense the problem with vibration. The car doesn't drift to the left or right when I have my hands off the steering, nor does it drift under braking.

Does this sound like an alignment or ball joint problem? And if it is ball joints, what needs to be replaced and does anyone have an idea as to what it might cost to replace?

Could it be my tires? I have Goodyear Assurance Triple Thread V rated tires about 95% tread left.

I had a similar issue whereby I felt a shimmy in the front end as I drove down the road. (in fact, the text in your post is from my orignal posting on this problem - not a concern just interesting you have the same issue) - so I will share with you the resolution for vehicle: I took it to a Lexus expert here in Dallas, fearing the worst that I had ball joint issues since I had just replace the ball joints on another vehicle. The Lexus Expert drove the vehicle and thought it might be something loose in the steering. After putting the vehicle up on the rack and inspecting suspension and steering components...their verdict: TIRES. I had Pirelli P3000s and they said they were the cause (out of round or something defective in the tire). Even with rotating the tires I still had the same issue. I got my advice from another member - his diagnosis from the start was correct - it was the tires.

Sooo...I bought a new set of Michelins, Xalto Pilots, even had the ride match done. The problem was solved for me and the car runs smooth without an issue. Hope this helps.

who installed new tires?

request them to do fine tuned balance(Discount tires call"Bulls Eyes balance"). Most people goes with 0.25, 0.50 etc.

fine tune they do 0.07 0.10 max.

Hope that helps.

My cousin tire shop he balanced them done to '0' on the machine, I watched him do it and he told me that other shops dont have that kind of care to give them a bulls eye balance